New to the modular world...

NotQuik

I can't drive
Reaction score
Took my 07 to the track for the for the first time when I was on vacation in Louisana at Red River Raceway and it was 86 degrees and 70% humidity and best was sadly a [email protected] with a 2.339 60' which they didn't exactly let you drive around the water in the b/o box, I corrected the time and given much much better conditions it said [email protected]. Well, i'm back home now and went to OSW the other night and they started the night running 1/8th mile and the last hour was 1/4 mile due to the rain from earlier, needless to say the track wasn't great. My best that evening was [email protected] with a 2.388 60' followed by a [email protected] with a 2.467 60'. I've been reading to launch these cars at 3-4k and be easy with the clutch, i'm used to launching at idle with the pushrod motor and getting 2.1-2.0 60's on street tires I suppose....does this sound about right for these cars? Was also curious on a good rpm to shift at, it's obviously not going to be 5200 ;) so I was trying 6000 and the mph seemed better the other night. Corrected the 14.2@100 and it came out to a 13.9@102. I guess i'm wanting any tips on getting a good 60' on stock tires or even how to drive these cars. Sorry for the long drawn out thread. I also don't consider myself a good driver, just don't want to give anybody the wrong impression ;)

Last edited:

marcspaz

~Resigned~
Reaction score
I sart at 3k, dumping the clutch to WOT. If you do it right, you may get a little chirp or no slipping at all. I put gears in my car so I changed my rev limit so I can shift at 6,500. I would NOT recommend doing that unless your car has been tuned on a dyno by a talented tech. (valve train is listed as only being good for 6,200 on stock springs).

I wish I had some other advise, but my car's stock "consistant" times were right were you are at 13.9

94tbird

4R70W FTMFW
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
i rev to 5k and slip the clutch for launches and shift at 6400 with my SC>

When i was stock and with slight mods i would launch at 3k, slip the clutch and gun it. i was shifting at 6400 as well there and had over 500 passes now shifting at 6400 or above with no valvetrain problems. there is no listed amount as to what our valvetrain can handle, just as there is no set limit on how much HP a stock shortblock can take.

cekim

Large Member
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
i was shifting at 6400 as well there and had over 500 passes now shifting at 6400 or above with no valvetrain problems. there is no listed amount as to what our valvetrain can handle, just as there is no set limit on how much HP a stock shortblock can take.
Same here - started moving up the rev limiter - now shifting at ~6400 N/A without issue and times are still getting better...

With DR's and a spec 3+ clutch, I dump the clutch at 4500-5000 and until I screw up the light, I get consistent results... (stupid, stupid, stupid - coulda' gone at least one more round at FFW - up to that point I had a string of tightly clustered ET's and reasonable RT's - oh well, that's racing... I got beat by the buy who eventually won the race, so I don't feel too bad)

With stock 18" tires and a SC (on the Vert), I could not get up much more than 2K RPM without just prep'ing the full length of the track for the next guy with wheel spin. But then that was not a surprise...

marcspaz

~Resigned~
Reaction score
there is no listed amount as to what our valvetrain can handle

"Limits" can be looked at two ways. What Ford says is the normal operating range for longevity and dependable use (or where it is designed to be used). Then there is the off the charts, lucky you're getting away with it limits.

If you are doing a engine rebuild every race, you can probably push 9,000+ rmps for the 9 or 10 seconds and win.

I am on my second set of heads because of valve damage. The car was running like shit at 10,000 miles. Popping, sounding like it was choking and burping, it was really nasty.

I bought 3 cars from this dealer this year alone and there was less than 12,000 miles on the car, so they repaired it under warranty. The service manager told me (per the tech) the damage was from over-reving. He is the one who told me not to rev the engine over 6200 RPMs for extended periods or excessive valve float will cause damage again.

Also Ford Racing's published specs for their “performance” high lift kit (M-6550-T46 and M-6550-GT) of having an operating rang of 2,600 to 7,000 RPMs. I’d like to think we are getting a few more revs for the $2,200+.

Last edited:

94tbird

4R70W FTMFW
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
i don't trust ford techs or anything they say. they know less about the cars then i do. its rare to find a tech who knows what hes doing, and not reading out of the service manual.

there are plenty of people revving way past 6200 and tuners like doug @ bama and Brenspeed wouldn't be setting 6800 rev limiters as standard if they thought the car couldn't handle it.

now that doesn't mean rev to 6800, but the occasional 6800 is ok, 6400 is perfectly fine. just dont go bumping off the rev limiter 24/7

Latest posts

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back