Noisier approaching oil change?

nfrizell

Reaction score
Do you guys get more valve noise when approaching an oil change? I have noticed that my 07 gt with 93000 miles has been getting a little valve clatter right after it comes down off high idle. It clears up unce it warms up a little. I just changed the oil and this condition seems to have greatly lessened or gone away. I have only had the car about a year and when I got it, it had so many other noises, I didn't notice.

I used to be almost fanatical about B series Honda engines. I put many miles on them. They seemed to exhibit a similar behavior to the point that I would stop recording mileage at oil change because they would "tell me" when they needed one. It would be kinda cool if these Modular Fords were the same way.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Dino Dino Bambino

I have a red car
Reaction score
My engine's been going for the last 9000km (5600 miles) with full synthetic oil. I haven't noticed any valvetrain noise, and the level on the dipstick has hardly moved in that time, but I'm going to have the engine oil, transmission fluid, and rear axle oil changed soon. The car has almost 91k miles so I've already slightly overshot the 90k mile service interval. The last time I had the tranny fluid and rear axle oil changed was at 60k miles. The spark plugs were also replaced at that time.

nfrizell

Reaction score
My engine's been going for the last 9000km (5600 miles) with full synthetic oil. I haven't noticed any valvetrain noise, and the level on the dipstick has hardly moved in that time, but I'm going to have the engine oil, transmission fluid, and rear axle oil changed soon. The car has almost 91k miles so I've already slightly overshot the 90k mile service interval. The last time I had the tranny fluid and rear axle oil changed was at 60k miles. The spark plugs were also replaced at that time.
Mine seems to burn absolutely no oil also and I too run full synth. It may just be me. I seem to be a little over sensitive to these things. That said, I haven't been stuck on the side of road since the late 80's.

Dino Dino Bambino

I have a red car
Reaction score
The engine oil does degrade with time and become contaminated, so a tiny bit of valvetrain noise right before it's due to be changed wouldn't be unusual. Like you said, it's a subtle sign of the engine telling you that it wants fresh oil.

07 Boss

Reaction score
How often do you change your oil? I see you have only had it for about a year but I might shorten the change interval if it bothers you. I change mine out every 3k-5k miles. I know without my pvc system I have to change it more often as more shit gets dissolved into it. Changing oil brand might make a difference too if we are discussing viscosity breakdown. Changing weight may make a difference too. Our oil is pretty thin and I have run 10w-30 before without any issues.

nfrizell

Reaction score
The wife and kids cars always go to the maintenance interval set by the computer. I drive my stuff harder so I usually do it more often. I'm at about 5,000 mile intervals so far, but my go shorter in the future.

Laga

Reaction score
The noise has more to do with the 93K than the OCI.

“It clears up unce it warms up a little. “

That’s not uncommon with high mileage vehicles. And 5K miles on full synthetic is nothing. The recommended OCI for 07’s is 7500 miles.

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back