NYS emissions

Riptide

Will work for Mustang.
Reaction score
I'm pretty good at swapping the midpipe now. Can do it with no help in under an hour.

Still don't want to have to do that every year. :p

tjm73

of Omicron Persei 8
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
What I also don't understand is once a 2006 vehicle is 25 years and older, how in God's name will NYS still require it to pass OBDII testing.. Hell by then OBD II testing will long be obsolete, non-existent along with OEM original catalyst components as well.. Doesn't make any sense as far as I'm concerned :laughlots:

The standard when new will still exist then. It's an unknown at this point.

06 T-RED S/C GT

forum member
Reaction score
Very well unknown indeed, especially when original OEM parts will no longer be produced for the 2005-10 models long before becoming 25 years old lol.

tjm73

of Omicron Persei 8
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Very well unknown indeed, especially when original OEM parts will no longer be produced for the 2005-10 models long before becoming 25 years old lol.

That's a whole nother thing NY probably didn't think about. Because our law makers are so fantastically good. They do such a great job thinking about the long term impact of the laws they pass.

07 Boss

Reaction score
Then I suppose the only way of getting around it, is by reinstalling the original catted mid section just prior to inspection.. What I also don't understand is once a 2006 vehicle is 25 years and older, how in God's name will NYS still require it to pass OBDII testing.. Hell by then OBD II testing will long be obsolete, non-existent along with OEM original catalyst components as well.. Doesn't make any sense as far as I'm concerned :laughlots:

Are his the same ones as you have or different ?

On my 76 firebird if I decide to use it regular and go over the 5K mine limit I would have to put all of my smog equipment back on. Pumps, cats, pcv and pass a sniffer test. Remember, these rules/regulations were put in place to keep us from doing the shit we do to protect the environment. Whatever you need to do to get by them is the price we just have to pay.

I used to switch my midpipe & tune every year for smog. Then I made these electronic cat sims and wired them in.

That worked for a couple of years but eventually one of them failed. Instead of making them again I went the ones you see now. Yes those links are from the same company but not sure if they are the exact same ones. I originally purchased the regular straight ones but had a fitment issue doe to their length. Then I just go the right angle pipe/extension thingy and screwed them into that. I think there is a right angle one with the minicat in there not like my two piece set up.

06 T-RED S/C GT

forum member
Reaction score
On my 76 firebird if I decide to use it regular and go over the 5K mine limit I would have to put all of my smog equipment back on. Pumps, cats, pcv and pass a sniffer test. Remember, these rules/regulations were put in place to keep us from doing the shit we do to protect the environment. Whatever you need to do to get by them is the price we just have to pay.

I used to switch my midpipe & tune every year for smog. Then I made these electronic cat sims and wired them in.

That worked for a couple of years but eventually one of them failed. Instead of making them again I went the ones you see now. Yes those links are from the same company but not sure if they are the exact same ones. I originally purchased the regular straight ones but had a fitment issue doe to their length. Then I just go the right angle pipe/extension thingy and screwed them into that. I think there is a right angle one with the minicat in there not like my two piece set up.

If I don't put over 5k per year, my car isn't required to go through the state emissions inspection according to the PA state emissions exemption law.. However my vehicle can still fail the visual inspection if the inspector chooses to do so for removing the OEM converters.. But most shops/inspection stations at least locally anyhow are willing to make an acception, providing of course the vehicle in question meets the state's emission exemption requirements..

My only concern is this.. If by chance I happen to go just one mile over the 5k limit, I'll then no longer meet the state exemption requirements and will therefore be required to pass the state's emission inspection via OBDII..

So rather than having to go through the hassle of reinstalling the OEM catted H section, that perhaps my car can pass the OBDII emissions test with the mini cat 02 extensions while passing the visual inspection with high-flow cats installed..

Anyhow if these 02 mini cat extensions actually pass OBDII emissions testing, then it would appear as though they just might provide a possible alternative over the hassle of having to reinstall the OEM catted mid pipe :shrug:

RocketcarX

95% of my weight is fuel
Reaction score
I think it would be easier to run long tubes and a catted mid pipe all coated black or silver (in order to blend in) than pass smog with no cats as well as a visual inspection.
Once the cats and headers have a little road grime they will blend right in. Especially if the inspector is using a mirror to look under the car.

06StangGT

forum member
Reaction score
I think it would be easier to run long tubes and a catted mid pipe all coated black or silver (in order to blend in) than pass smog with no cats as well as a visual inspection.
Once the cats and headers have a little road grime they will blend right in. Especially if the inspector is using a mirror to look under the car.

I would be open for and willing to run long tubes, again it’s not the visual part I’m worried about. I need it to plug in OBD and say everything is there, running and fine. I’ve also read high flow cats aren’t worth the investment as the stock cats flow well(don’t know if this holds any truth)

I’d really be willing to try the setup pentalab suggested with that mini cat, but an investment in long tubes and a new mid pipe to have it not pass NYS would really mess me up.

Has anyone passed NYS or equivalent with long tubes and cats or long tubes without cats?

RocketcarX

95% of my weight is fuel
Reaction score
I would be open for and willing to run long tubes, again it’s not the visual part I’m worried about. I need it to plug in OBD and say everything is there, running and fine. I’ve also read high flow cats aren’t worth the investment as the stock cats flow well(don’t know if this holds any truth)

I’d really be willing to try the setup pentalab suggested with that mini cat, but an investment in long tubes and a new mid pipe to have it not pass NYS would really mess me up.

Has anyone passed NYS or equivalent with long tubes and cats or long tubes without cats?

You will pass emissions with long tubes for sure provided the tune is on point (transport delay needs to be slightly increased). The car will work just like stock otherwise.
The thing to be sure of is that they are a high quality cat, I once had a car fail emissions in California because I used a 'high flow" cat from Catco when I built the exhaust, it wasn't doing the job well enough. They guy knew it was a Catco as soon as I told him it was a new cat, I haven't purchased one since, lol.
Long tubes and superchargers go together like cocaine and waffles man, you will love it.

702GT

S197 Fanatic
Reaction score
I know there are settings in SCT's software for emissions. My tuner did something that he won't say, but essentially I roll up to OBDII smog, let them plug in, and it passes every time. With O/R pipe and rear O2's plugged in. From what I understand, he basically adjusted the emissions to tell the smog machine my car doesn't require a catalyst test. With the rear O2's plugged in, all my emissions readiness light up green. I don't know how it lies to the machine, but it does. The new owner of my car also just had a smog done on it a couple weeks ago. Passed. I know it won't pass visual but I did have a HF catted midpipe. Only thing that sucked about that was once and a while it would throw a CEL, rear O2's didn't seem to like the HF cats. It was always driving on glass to get it to the smog station before the CEL would trip. Not sure if an inspection would be able to figure out its secret if the HF catted midpipe were present on that tune. Cats are present and the machine says it passes, what more could they look for?

As far as a sniffer, no way in hell. HF cats just aren't enough in some states. Have a buddy with a '96 GT in Cali that's having a hard time with his car. He bought it in NV, clean as shit with 44k/mi on it, bone stock. It won't pass in cali. Shop out there is telling him he needs to run 6 cats in total. They thought his cats were bad but upon inspection they were perfect, for 22 year old cats. Adding a 3rd pair of cats is ridiculousness.

Last edited:

stkjock

---- Madmin ----
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
I know there are settings in SCT's software for emissions. My tuner did something that he won't say, but essentially I roll up to OBDII smog, let them plug in, and it passes every time. With O/R pipe and rear O2's plugged in. From what I understand, he basically adjusted the emissions to tell the smog machine my car doesn't require a catalyst test. With the rear O2's plugged in, all my emissions readiness light up green. I don't know how it lies to the machine, but it does. The new owner of my car also just had a smog done on it a couple weeks ago. Passed. I know it won't pass visual but I did have a HF catted midpipe. Only thing that sucked about that was once and a while it would throw a CEL, rear O2's didn't seem to like the HF cats. It was always driving on glass to get it to the smog station before the CEL would trip. Not sure if an inspection would be able to figure out its secret if the HF catted midpipe were present on that tune. Cats are present and the machine says it passes, what more could they look for?

what your tuner did no longer works in NY, they changed the software about 2-3 years ago and the system now "knows" what the car should have as far as active monitors as I understand it.

46addict

Reaction score
what your tuner did no longer works in NY, they changed the software about 2-3 years ago and the system now "knows" what the car should have as far as active monitors as I understand it.

This is true in GA as well. The machines know to look for the number of disabled monitors and compares that against how many monitors are set from the factory. Georgia allows up to 2 disabled monitors and some states only allow 1 or none. When I say Georgia I'm referring to the 13 counties surrounding Atlanta. The rest of the state is free like its Florida neighbors.

Pentalab

forum member
Reaction score
So if the mini cat doesn't function like a real, full sized cat.. How does it function any different from a non-fouler ? If non-foulers function in the same way and can also pass ECU/OBDII port emissions testing, then how does the mini cat provide a better alternative over non-foulers :shrug:

Non foulers won't work with no cats. I used JBA ceramic LT's and mating JBA hi-flow cats. Once in a while I still get the odd P0420 / P0430. My fix for that was the right angle non foulers. Some tuners can carefully tweak the transit timing so the 420/430 never appear. Some have had to use 2 x non foulers in series, typ a right angle NF 1st, then a straight NF, then oem 02 sensor.

If you don't have a catted mid section, non foulers won't work, hence the use of the mini cats. The rear o2's want to see a cat.. mini or full sized.

The ceramic jba LT's and mating high flow catted H was the one mod that actually worked. The increase in low-mid-high rpm tq was blatantly obvious. It was also a lot louder, + drone @ 1900 rpm, so in went a pair of welded in M80's... resonators, problem solved. The JBA cats are much bigger diam, like 4"... vs oem cats. But the jba's are shorter. Bigger diam is way less of a restriction. But the entire internal volume of honeycomb material is aprx the same. I can push down hard on any of the 8 primaries with my fingers, and not burn them...that's after having the blower on 2 blocks away.... b4 pulling into driveway.

Ceramic LT's and high flow cats have some other advantages. Heat in eng bay dropped a ton, like 40 F. Oem exhaust manifold runs stupid hot, and the oem cats at bottom of eng bay... just cook the eng bay, esp @ wot + 1800 deg F cat temps.

We don't have obd testing.... but the next large town over does. The 420/430 is more of a pita, and easily cleared on the fly with the aeroforce gauges..plugged into obd port. The SS right angle non foulers solved that issue.

Cars with no cats have a bad exhaust smell to em, imo. I believe some of the success of my lts is from the ceramic coating inside and outside, the hotter the gases are inside, the faster they flow. High flow cats are less restrictive vs oem cats. Lt's scavenge really good vs oem manifold. 2.5" hole inside the H section works good.. scavenges a 2nd time. The lt's used 1 5/8" primaries, and 2.5" collector. They also had em in 3" collector. The 2.5" collector just made for simple plug n play.

46addict

Reaction score
Non foulers have worked on two different 3v's cars I've had with no cats. Passed Gwinnett County/Georgia emissions for the last 6 years.

Coyotes seem to be more apt to detecting changes in emissions equipment. Simply adding non foulers on a catless Coyote car doesn't usually work. Something has to be adjusted in the tune and a mini cat may need to be used in conjunction.

06 T-RED S/C GT

forum member
Reaction score
That's a whole nother thing NY probably didn't think about. Because our law makers are so fantastically good. They do such a great job thinking about the long term impact of the laws they pass.

Seems to me that NY is just as bad as California when it comes to emission laws lol.. Although I'll always consider western NY as home, I'll be in no hurry to move back to say the very least :lol2:

Non foulers won't work with no cats. I used JBA ceramic LT's and mating JBA hi-flow cats. Once in a while I still get the odd P0420 / P0430. My fix for that was the right angle non foulers. Some tuners can carefully tweak the transit timing so the 420/430 never appear. Some have had to use 2 x non foulers in series, typ a right angle NF 1st, then a straight NF, then oem 02 sensor.

If you don't have a catted mid section, non foulers won't work, hence the use of the mini cats. The rear o2's want to see a cat.. mini or full sized.

The ceramic jba LT's and mating high flow catted H was the one mod that actually worked. The increase in low-mid-high rpm tq was blatantly obvious. It was also a lot louder, + drone @ 1900 rpm, so in went a pair of welded in M80's... resonators, problem solved. The JBA cats are much bigger diam, like 4"... vs oem cats. But the jba's are shorter. Bigger diam is way less of a restriction. But the entire internal volume of honeycomb material is aprx the same. I can push down hard on any of the 8 primaries with my fingers, and not burn them...that's after having the blower on 2 blocks away.... b4 pulling into driveway.

Ceramic LT's and high flow cats have some other advantages. Heat in eng bay dropped a ton, like 40 F. Oem exhaust manifold runs stupid hot, and the oem cats at bottom of eng bay... just cook the eng bay, esp @ wot + 1800 deg F cat temps.

We don't have obd testing.... but the next large town over does. The 420/430 is more of a pita, and easily cleared on the fly with the aeroforce gauges..plugged into obd port. The SS right angle non foulers solved that issue.

Cars with no cats have a bad exhaust smell to em, imo. I believe some of the success of my lts is from the ceramic coating inside and outside, the hotter the gases are inside, the faster they flow. High flow cats are less restrictive vs oem cats. Lt's scavenge really good vs oem manifold. 2.5" hole inside the H section works good.. scavenges a 2nd time. The lt's used 1 5/8" primaries, and 2.5" collector. They also had em in 3" collector. The 2.5" collector just made for simple plug n play.

What year is your Mustang, is yours a Coyote or 3V ? From my understanding, non foulers do work on the older 05-10 3V cars even without cats.. Coyotes on the other hand are a different animal..

As for the smell from not running cats.. Believe me I know the feeling thru personal experience lol.

Non foulers have worked on two different 3v's cars I've had with no cats. Passed Gwinnett County/Georgia emissions for the last 6 years.

Coyotes seem to be more apt to detecting changes in emissions equipment. Simply adding non foulers on a catless Coyote car doesn't usually work. Something has to be adjusted in the tune and a mini cat may need to be used in conjunction.

That's my understanding as well.. Therefore if the non-foulers work on the older 3V's without cats, then why fork over nearly $100.00 for O2 mini cat extenders to begin with :shrug:

Pentalab

forum member
Reaction score
What year is your Mustang, is yours a Coyote or 3V ? From my understanding, non foulers do work on the older 05-10 3V cars even without cats.. Coyotes on the other hand are a different animal..

That's my understanding as well.. Therefore if the non-foulers work on the older 3V's without cats, then why fork over nearly $100.00 for O2 mini cat extenders to begin with :shrug:

Mine is a 2010 auto...with the 4.6 L + M90 blower. 94 tune. Lito had it down to a fine art, where he could tweak the tune to pass emissions, and not shut the rear o2's off in the tune. But I had VMP tune mine..and also send me a tune that did shut off the rear o2's.... then like an idiot, it ended up in my junk file..which got deleted in error. Now VMP will not shut off rear O2 sensors. I like the idea of having them on...then at least can read cat temps. If either one started to clog, its temp will also rise.

The L shaped SS non foulers don't stick out a mile like the straight ones. What ever combo works is good.

06StangGT

forum member
Reaction score

My brothers 03 GT runs stock manifold, no cats and a Mac prochamber and cat back. Passes NYS every year. He has those MIL eliminators I think they are called

I’ve tried tbe Non Foulers on my 06 without cats and I still got a CEL with the rear o2s turned on. Never tried doubling them up or a 90* turn style one either.

My main goal is to run long tubes but I’ve always been told they won’t pass NY emissions.

So it sounds like it has to be those mini cats or double non foulers or a 90* and a straight t. I’m just really hesitant on buying the long tubes to have them not work. It’s money I’m trying to save for the B326!!!

46addict

Reaction score
My non foulers have always been doubled up. Some say to add a bit of steel wool in between for safe measure.
Running just one non fouler on each side did not work for me.

tjm73

of Omicron Persei 8
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Seems to me that NY is just as bad as California when it comes to emission laws lol.. Although I'll always consider western NY as home, I'll be in no hurry to move back to say the very least :lol2:

I really like it here, but I tell my wife that when she retires from her job, we are moving some place less taxed and warmer in the winter. I like Florida. I really enjoy going to Florida.

Back