O2 sensor change, How to reach plugs?

rocky61201

forum member
Reaction score
I'm fortunate to be retired USMC and still work on and live close to base. Camp Pendleton has an awesome auto hobby shop with about 20 lifts for $8 bucks an hour. If you are prior military and live within an hour or so of a base might be something to look into if they have an auto hobby shop.

No freakin way I would attempt that stuff on my back and I hate paying a shop $80-$120 bucks an hour to do it for me.

rickf

forum member
Reaction score
I live right on the ranges of what used to be Fort Dix and is now Joint Base MDL. They closed the hobby shop there years ago and leased out the building to a tire store. The problem is that I am disabled and I can only work for a little while at a time and then I have to take a break or even quit for the day. The car has been on the stands for a week now, I don't think they would allow that in the hobby shop. My neighbor around the corner has a lift I can use but it is outside and then I am running back and forth for tools. Working on my back on a creeper is not too bad since it is a bit easier on my bad back but the floor in the garage is all busted up. It was that way when I moved in and I just did not want to spend all the money to rip it out and put in a new one. I really want to put up a new, bigger pole barn garage that is big enough for a lift.

rickf

forum member
Reaction score
What I REALLY, REALLY want to do is get the hell out of NJ and move south where I can have more freedom. That is why I am not spending the money here.

rickf

forum member
Reaction score
OK, It is all done and back together. Got some really strange readings on the scanner but it is still up in the air. Just letting it run to get the idle reset and check the O2 sensors which brings up a couple questions. ST trims were way into the negative figures until the LT trims caught up and now the ST trims are hovering around zero as they should but for them to do that the LT trims are at -12 to -15. Both side are perfectly even and fuel pressure is spot on so pump and injectors are good. What would be causing it be rich or should I just wait for a while til I get some road time on it? I figure if you tell me to look at something underneath now is the time while it is still up on stands.
And either my engine holds 6 plus filter or Mobile 1 is ripping people off big time with their so called 6 quart container! Perfectly level and put in the whole 6 quart container and I am still a quart low and I haven't even started the engine yet so no oil in the filter.

rickf

forum member
Reaction score
I meant 5 quart, A gallon is 4 quarts. The standard oil change is 5 quarts.

rickf

forum member
Reaction score
That makes sense, I put in one more quart and it is right on the money. Now, back to the O2 sensors, I am getting readings of 600-700 on the downstream on bank 1 which is normal but on bank 2 I am getting readings of 100-150? How can I be reading that the O2 is high and steady? I am thinking of swapping the sensors side to side to see if I got a bad sensor or bad converter. That is the side that was bad before which makes things worse but before it was a classic bad converter reading of the downstream mirroring the upstream. Help me make some sense of this. To make it more confusing the emissions monitor cleared so no codes.

Latest posts

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back