O2 sensor help

AndrewNagle

forum member
Reaction score
I am about to pull my hair out

I need new rear O2 sensors, cause my new cats don't have a bung and i am going to relocate the sensors to the X pipe, now it is too far away for my sensor to reach....

Bosch sells three different sensors for 2007 Mustang GT

15716 oem harness length
15717 13" harness
15718 18" harness

read on summit racing that the only difference is harness length and can be used upstream or downstream

do we have different upstream and downstream sensors ? Part # on Tasca is the same for all 4 locations

or should i say screw it and reuse my oem ones and get extensions

already reached out to the shop that helps me and to Steve at Tasca and will call Bosch tomorrow

Thanks
Andrew

07gts197

forum member
Reaction score
As long as you use a good bit of dialectric grease and maybe ziptie the extensions out of the way you’ll be fine. I have yet to use extensions on any of my mustangs but I know they can cause issues with water getting into the connectors. As another layer of defense you could wrap the connectors in electrical tape I guess.

Whatever you do DO NOT buy Bosch sensors. Theyre trash. I had both my upstream sensors go out within a couple hundred miles of one another and replaced them with Bosch sensors. Both sensors went bad within 10k miles so I replaced both with NTK, which is oem and cheaper, and have yet to have any problems 5 years 50k+ miles later.

07 Boss

Reaction score
The sensors are all the same except for the connector might have an ear on it that needs to get snipped off to slide it in. I have extensions for both the front and rear sensors and I had to do this for two of them. Can't remember if they were the front or rear.

lito

forum member
Reaction score
No, the sensors that came originally in the car ARE NOT THE SAME. Ford is doing something weird with the sensors for the old cars, I have had customers get new batch sensors that Ford indicated as correct for the cars, not working.

Their calibration and characteristics are different.

Bosch should not be used in these cars AT ALL.

I would just get extensions and be done with it.

AndrewNagle

forum member
Reaction score
No, the sensors that came originally in the car ARE NOT THE SAME. Ford is doing something weird with the sensors for the old cars, I have had customers get new batch sensors that Ford indicated as correct for the cars, not working.

As long as you use a good bit of dialectric grease and maybe ziptie the extensions out of the way you’ll be fine. I have yet to use extensions on any of my mustangs but I know they can cause issues with water getting into the connectors. As another layer of defense you could wrap the connectors in electrical tape I guess.

Whatever you do DO NOT buy Bosch sensors. Theyre trash. I had both my upstream sensors go out within a couple hundred miles of one another and replaced them with Bosch sensors. Both sensors went bad within 10k miles so I replaced both with NTK, which is oem and cheaper, and have yet to have any problems 5 years 50k+ miles later.

Thanks !! ordered BBK 1676 extensions and NTK's and they are separate part #'

22060 for upstream
22500 for downstream

RocketcarX

95% of my weight is fuel
Reaction score

Does that mean the Motorcraft replacement listed on Rock Auto is wrong?

https://www.rockauto.com/en/moreinfo.php?pk=8397988&cc=1441221&jsn=472&jsn=472

AndrewNagle

forum member
Reaction score

RocketcarX

95% of my weight is fuel
Reaction score
Pulled the OEM ones out last night and the upstream and down stream have different part numbers and sensors look different not just the harness color.

Steve at Tasca replied to my PM and said that Ford now only have one part # for both upstream and downstream
The different tabs is why I ask, at first Rock Auto lists the one I linked as "upstream" in the part discription, however once in the cart the description read for "both".

lito

forum member
Reaction score
I don't know. The original part number was 5C5Z-9F472-AA or DY-1039, thing is that these parts are discontinued AFAIK.

RocketcarX

95% of my weight is fuel
Reaction score
I ordered a pair of the Motorcraft sensors for my upstream sensors, anything I should be looking for as far as data goes and these not being correct?

AndrewNagle

forum member
Reaction score
14a48aae1344304bc0c4cf3ebab0634e.jpg

78e1625cca027079fd9a1a5565cc9213.jpg

ad81f57ae7e3a3f15a42b1e528c4931e.jpg

Original OE out of car

07gts197

forum member
Reaction score
Its sad how much the bosch sensors are (not even oem, or better for that matter) yet they fail sooner.

Heaten m90

forum member
Reaction score
Beldon 29500 make your own, but let tuner know you’ve changed the impedance

01yellerCobra

forum member
Reaction score
Beldon 29500 make your own, but let tuner know you’ve changed the impedance
What impedance are you talking about? Extensions don't require any tuning changes. Going to headers usually does. And those changes are to heater duty cycle and transport delay.

I've used extensions in the past as well as extended wires by soldering in longer wires. No issues either way. Just cut the tabs as needed.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

Last edited:

07 Boss

Reaction score

That is weird then. I have bought replacements for the front and the rears and bought the same part number. I have found some of the connectors are a bit different but they all plug in (some you have to cut the little tab). Here is a screen shot off of Tasca's website that shows the same part number for all four sensors. Every once in a while I get a lean code or O2 circuit stuck high, is this because I have the wrong sensors in there or something else? When I clear them they don't come back for months.

46addict

Reaction score
Here is a screen shot off of Tasca's website that shows the same part number for all four sensors.
I think the consensus is that the batch of sensors installed when these cars were built are discontinued now and Ford went to a single part number for front and rear sensors which is why you see one part number for all locations. Doesn't mean that is ideal. I thought the rear sensors are calibrated differently than the fronts because the fronts are expected to react quicker. If all sensors react at the same rate wouldn't there be tuning issues?

AndrewNagle

forum member
Reaction score
I think the consensus is that the batch of sensors installed when these cars were built are discontinued now and Ford went to a single part number for front and rear sensors which is why you see one part number for all locations. Doesn't mean that is ideal. I thought the rear sensors are calibrated differently than the fronts because the fronts are expected to react quicker. If all sensors react at the same rate wouldn't there be tuning issues?
Why I bought ngk’s the front and back are different. I will post photos once I get them compared to ORiginal ones

46addict

Reaction score
Why I bought ngk’s the front and back are different. I will post photos once I get them compared to ORiginal ones
I wasn't saying they are the same across all brands. I was responding to 07Boss and saying the Motorcraft line has the same part number for front and rear.

AndrewNagle

forum member
Reaction score
I wasn't saying they are the same across all brands. I was responding to 07Boss and saying the Motorcraft line has the same part number for front and rear.
Gotcha, and agreed

They were different part #’s in 2007 don’t even look the same and now the motorcraft front and back use the same part. They don’t make a front and back only one. Saw the same thing on Tasca and rock auto but decided to Confirm this with Steve @tasca and my tuner.

46addict

Reaction score
Yeah I thought the point of color coding them blue and green is to differentiate front and rear but I guess that isn't the case anymore.

Latest posts

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back