Obsolete cam phaser issue

gavin.biegler

forum member
Reaction score
Apparently the updated version of cam phasers part number ford 3R2Z-6A257-DA is incompatible with my comp cams phaser limiters because the bolt pattern is different, does anyone know where I can find the original version cam phaser part number ford 3R2Z-6A257-AA. Thank you.

gavin.biegler

forum member
Reaction score
your link is for the updated version phaser, which is all I've been able to find. my comp phaser limiters are not compatible with the DA version phaser, they only work with the AA version which I've been told is obsolete.

skwerl

tree hugger
Reaction score
Not what you want to hear but your easiest option may be getting the new phasers and the Livernois limiters. The reason the AA phasers are obsolete is because they weren't very good and failed too often. The revised versions are more reliable.

gavin.biegler

forum member
Reaction score
yeah you may be right on that. I did come across livernois limiter kit but wasn't sure if they worked with the new ones. I sent them an email to get some more info on it. I don't expect to get a reply until Tuesday at the earliest.

travelers

Reaction score
your link is for the updated version phaser, which is all I've been able to find. my comp phaser limiters are not compatible with the DA version phaser, they only work with the AA version which I've been told is obsolete.

Sorry about that, I miss read your post as the DA was the older one.

gavin.biegler

forum member
Reaction score
i was able to find a couple from someone parting out a motor from a 2005. hopefully these arrive in good condition and will last. if they don't i'll bite the bullet and get the livernois set and newer version phasers. Thanks guys.

RocketcarX

95% of my weight is fuel
Reaction score
Apparently the updated version of cam phasers part number ford 3R2Z-6A257-DA is incompatible with my comp cams phaser limiters because the bolt pattern is different, does anyone know where I can find the original version cam phaser part number ford 3R2Z-6A257-AA. Thank you.
I know this is an old thread, is this true the revised OEM phaser has a new bolt pattern and the comp cam phasers listed for 05-10 won't fit due to a bolt spacing issue on the backing plate? Seems like Comp would limit the year range on the part number. I know the included tools only work up to 07, but there are ways to get around that from what I understand.

RocketcarX

95% of my weight is fuel
Reaction score
I decided the Livernois limiters were the way to go after looking at installation and cost.

RocketcarX

95% of my weight is fuel
Reaction score
I actually ordered both sets because this forum is full of mixed reviews on both.
Now I’m stuck with which to use

eighty6gt

forum member
Reaction score
I would like to make some degree-able lockout cam gears for these cars sometime soon. It will take a year of development in my spare time.

RocketcarX

95% of my weight is fuel
Reaction score
I called Livernois and cancelled the order. I'm sticking with Comp, I have never had their products fail me in the pushrod world. I'm sure I can get the phaser apart and reassembled without ruining it.
The one instance I found with Retrdfr8tflyr's (I know I spelled it wrong) issue seems like his mixture of old parts could have been the culprit in that failure. I can't see how the Comp product can fail, but a I do see where messing up the installation would lead to failures and the easier to install Livernois product might seem the way to go.

msvela448

forum member
Reaction score
I also have revised / latest phasers with comp limiters. No issues.

The tool comp provides for resetting the spring is a little less than robust, but it does work.

Be careful not to break the little tack welds that attach the reluctor wheel to the cam gear, where the bolt face normally touches, and everything will be fine.

Sent from my A0001 using Tapatalk

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back