Off-road x-pipe install notes and video

RSKtakR

Reaction score
im doing this install along with my Roush mufflers next week.. and after I run to Sears tomorrow and buy 40" of extensions! lol I will have the EXACT same mods as the OP then, but I will be running the corn instead. Should be fun :)

Napoleon85

forum member
Reaction score
im doing this install along with my Roush mufflers next week.. and after I run to Sears tomorrow and buy 40" of extensions! lol I will have the EXACT same mods as the OP then, but I will be running the corn instead. Should be fun :)

Don't forget nuts/bolts. I also recommend replacing the nuts used on the clamps for the x, we pretty much rounded them off putting them on as the metal was a bit on the soft side.

Also, a tip on the Roush install. Putting some lube (WD-40, etc) on the hangars will help the axlebacks slide in and out easier.

RSKtakR

Reaction score
did you replace the nuts that mount the X to the manifolds? WHen I was reading your steps, I was kinda confused on the nuts and bolts with the certain type of washer you used/replaced. I havent been under the car yet, so Im sure it will all make sense when I finally get under there. The clamps you mentioned for the X.. those are the stock clamps right?

Napoleon85

forum member
Reaction score
did you replace the nuts that mount the X to the manifolds? WHen I was reading your steps, I was kinda confused on the nuts and bolts with the certain type of washer you used/replaced. I havent been under the car yet, so Im sure it will all make sense when I finally get under there. The clamps you mentioned for the X.. those are the stock clamps right?

The stock H-pipe/cats have bolts that are pressed in with nuts on the far (engine) side. These are not re-usable for another application, and the UPR x-pipe does not include nuts/bolts to connect it to the stock manifolds so you must purchase some.

Yes, the clamps I was talking about were the stock ones. The x-pipe ships in three pieces, two pipes that connect to the manifolds and then the X itself, which those two pipes slide into and are then clamped on. There are two nuts on these that I recommend replacing since the metal was a bit on the soft side for the amount of torque required to clamp the pipes down.

Perhaps these two images will clear things up:

UPR x-pipe, one side is fitted together but it's clear to see how it's three pieces.
IMG_0854.JPG

Stock cats with pressed in bolts.
IMG_0853.JPG

coreyhm1

forum member
Reaction score
I had roush axlebacks on mine when i put my lethal o/r x on. I had to change the mufflers out quick, I now have gt500 mufflers. The roush axlebacks sounded good, but they were obnoxiously loud. I love loud, but this was the definition of nascar loud. That was with the resonators in. It's really hard to explain exactly how freakin loud it was. I could only take it for about a week.

I'm courious to see what your car dynos at op with the boss intake. With the cai, o/r x and my bama 93 race tune I made 413rwhp 416wtq. Trying to see if the intake is worth it

Yagermeister

Reaction score
Coreyhm1 do you have an auto or m6 and what gear did they do the dyno run in? Also was that sae or std on the dyno run as our combo is very similar!

Sent from my ADR6400L using Tapatalk

windsorcobra

forum member
Reaction score
The Lethal X/H comes with the correct bolts.

The gaskets are reuseable btw, I've had mine on/off 3 times now

Nice write up

RSKtakR

Reaction score
The stock H-pipe/cats have bolts that are pressed in with nuts on the far (engine) side. These are not re-usable for another application, and the UPR x-pipe does not include nuts/bolts to connect it to the stock manifolds so you must purchase some.

Yes, the clamps I was talking about were the stock ones. The x-pipe ships in three pieces, two pipes that connect to the manifolds and then the X itself, which those two pipes slide into and are then clamped on. There are two nuts on these that I recommend replacing since the metal was a bit on the soft side for the amount of torque required to clamp the pipes down.

Perhaps these two images will clear things up:

UPR x-pipe, one side is fitted together but it's clear to see how it's three pieces.
IMG_0854.JPG

Stock cats with pressed in bolts.
IMG_0853.JPG

Was the bolt qty 4 (2 for each side) ?

Napoleon85

forum member
Reaction score
do you remember what size nuts/bolts/washers you used?? Was the qty 4 (2 for each side) ?

I font remember exactly which ones, but they were metric. I know the holes on the headers and pipes are almost exactly 1/2" diameter, so you just need something smaller than that. You can really get whatever you feel comfortable with that fits right. And yes, you need four, two for each side.

RSKtakR

Reaction score
I font remember exactly which ones, but they were metric. I know the holes on the headers and pipes are almost exactly 1/2" diameter, so you just need something smaller than that. You can really get whatever you feel comfortable with that fits right. And yes, you need four, two for each side.

I re-read your OP for the size.. lol sorry..Were your gaskets to the manifolds NOT re-usable?

Napoleon85

forum member
Reaction score
I re-read your OP for the size.. lol sorry..Were your gaskets to the manifolds NOT re-usable?

Gaskets were fine, I re-used them and have no leaks. I'm just really anal about that kind of thing and like to replace them if possible, but it looks like I would have needed to get them from Ford and didn't have time for that.

RSKtakR

Reaction score
Gaskets were fine, I re-used them and have no leaks. I'm just really anal about that kind of thing and like to replace them if possible, but it looks like I would have needed to get them from Ford and didn't have time for that.

ok thanks for all the info man..

Napoleon85

forum member
Reaction score
Last edited:

Yagermeister

Reaction score
Napoleon85,

Thank you for the awesome notes and instructions! I however decided to get it installed for me since it got cold the last few weeks here ;)

Here is a video for anyone wanting to hear the UPR X-Pipe with GT500 mufflers and stock headers with resonators:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2MbvZsNPhO8

Sharad

Site Sponsor
Official Vendor
Reaction score
Napoleon85,

Thank you for the awesome notes and instructions! I however decided to get it installed for me since it got cold the last few weeks here ;)

Here is a video for anyone wanting to hear the UPR X-Pipe with GT500 mufflers and stock headers with resonators:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2MbvZsNPhO8

Thanks Brent. That sounds great!! I have the same setup on my 3V and I love it!

Latest posts

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back