Oil level sensor

phattyfat

forum member
Reaction score
I'm building a big bore boss and am using an 8 quart oil pan. The pan I bought doesn't have provisions for an oil temp sensor. Can that sensor be turned off in the tune? If not will that sensor send the computer into limp mode or will it only be a check engine light? I e read that it will affect VCT. If my VCT is disabled and locked will it automatically disable the EOT sensor? The pans all powder coated so I'd rather not have to weld a bung in there.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

JeremyH

3V Fuel Guru
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
AFAIK it wont affect anything. It was a parameter not even used to control anything so it went away mid 2006.

phattyfat

forum member
Reaction score
Thanks for the reply. Do you know if the CEL can be turned off in the tune? The info I've been reading is undetermined.

Speedboosted

Found missing cylinders
Reaction score
Is the factory oil temp sensor accurate? I always found it funny that no matter what the temp outside is, the oil temp says 78* on startup.

phattyfat

forum member
Reaction score
I suppose it's as accurate as the computer needs it to be. My 05 didn't come with an oil temp gauge.

JeremyH

3V Fuel Guru
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Is the factory oil temp sensor accurate? I always found it funny that no matter what the temp outside is, the oil temp says 78* on startup.

Apparently it doesn't matter ie the data isn't used for anything. I imagine it doesn't have a highly accurate range oem's use pretty basic sensors to cut down on cost. 78 may be the min range on your sensor.

06monera96

LeShawno
Reaction score
factory oil sensor in a 05 will be required to create your coolant temperature. alongside the CHT

06+ not required just ground it off and call it a day.

phattyfat

forum member
Reaction score
factory oil sensor in a 05 will be required to create your coolant temperature. alongside the CHT

So in an 05 I NEED to have it or can it be turned off in the tune or a resistor used to truck the system?

phattyfat

forum member
Reaction score
I've read that it is used possibly as a variable for the VCT but not about coolant temp.

07 Boss

Reaction score

What does and oil level sensor have to do with cylinder head temp readings? Besides the fact that no oil will cause temps to rise due to friction.

JeremyH

3V Fuel Guru
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
I have not heard of anyone having an issue leaving the sensor unplugged when using a different pan.

Speedboosted

Found missing cylinders
Reaction score
Bringing this back up. Has anyone logged the range of the factory sensor? It was a question that came to me on the way home from my last track day after only seeing a max reading of like 218 or 220* at the end of a session where as a friend in his 5.0 is seeing 260*+ with an Autometer setup.

Lito suggested making a small livelink config with EOT, RPM, CHT, and a couple others to see if the EOT line pegs out but that would require a full track session which is done for the year. I'd love to think that my car simply doesn't run as warm as my friends car but I'm not certain.

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back