Oil pump gear fails explained

tjm73

of Omicron Persei 8
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Has an oil pump failed under turbo boost yet? I haven't seen anything about that kind of failure.

JeremyH

3V Fuel Guru
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Has an oil pump failed under turbo boost yet? I haven't seen anything about that kind of failure.

Yes. Seen plenty, most memorable for me was Paul (one eyed willy) turbopete, Eddie (07 s197). Power adder setup doesn't seem to play a role from what I have seen. Only stat you could say is it seems to happen more on manuals than autos. But still does on both so not a for sure thing.

fourdegrees11

forum member
Reaction score
The ones that I have heard about recently are from people missing a shift and bouncing off the rev limiter while drag or roll racing

NUTCASE

forum member
Reaction score
It has more to do with engine acceleration than speed or pressure from the oil. When the engine suddenly changes speed is when the stress is induced.

Sky Render

Stig's Retarded Cousin
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
It has more to do with engine acceleration than speed or pressure from the oil. When the engine suddenly changes speed is when the stress is induced.

Which would explain why manual transmission cars experience a higher failure rate. Shifting is a shock on the entire system with a manual, whereas the torque converter in an automatic dampens everything.

eighty6gt

forum member
Reaction score
The reciprocating assembly fails, radial control of the crank is lost at the front main, the oil pump gears and housing cannot handle these loads and break.

The reciprocating assembly fails, foreign material enters the crankcase, the oil pump vane has nowhere to go in the housing when this material comes between the pump elements, the vane and housing shatter.

tjm73

of Omicron Persei 8
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
I thought the failures were pressure related. But engine speed makes more sense.

702GT

S197 Fanatic
Reaction score
I thought the failures were pressure related. But engine speed makes more sense.

Oil pressure's the easy part. Controlling shock conditions is the hard part. This is why you hear so many scream from the rooftops to run a good tensioner, good cranker damper, and built oil pump.

And no matter how much you protect your oil pump, the different natural harshness of various power adders remains constant. Turbos/PD's/Nitrous all hit a motors internals hard. And in drag racing, there's no such thing as a soft start anyway, so nothing is without sin there.

tjm73

of Omicron Persei 8
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
What's interesting to me is I never heard of a 302/351 or even 460 oil pumps shattering like I hear the mod engines pumps do.

NUTCASE

forum member
Reaction score
No, but you do hear about the oil pump driveshaft failing.

Some of it has to do with the state of computers when it was originally designed. Before computers the only way they could keep things safe was to put thick steel and loose tolerances everywhere.

NUTCASE

forum member
Reaction score
I never personally had an oil pump DS fail, but I was around many people who had that problem. I was under the impression that it could just kind of turn into a ghost one day on you.

tjm73

of Omicron Persei 8
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
I never personally had an oil pump DS fail, but I was around many people who had that problem. I was under the impression that it could just kind of turn into a ghost one day on you.

Only when something locked up the pump gears. And I have never heard of a 351W having that problem. Always a 302 it seems.

Last edited:

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back