Orange peel - texas help

way2qk4u2c

forum member
Reaction score
Hey guys- so i have attempted to remove orange peel from my vehicles. Turns out this process sucks and i'm not sure if my actions are effective because its taking like 8 hours to a 2x2 section lol. So i was wondering if anyone in the autin, tx area knows this tuff and could give me some pointers or even some cash to help me out. I really want to learn how to do this but at the rate im going ill sell the vehicle before itll be done. Please help. I probably spent well over 500 bucks in products and lots of frustrating hours.

way2qk4u2c

forum member
Reaction score
Yes sir, however i have tried 1500 grit and 2000 and it knocks some of the orange peel down but still alot more to go and i have sanded it a ton with little results. This process should not take 5 hours of wetsanding for half a hood? so i dont know if i should stop before i go through the clear or keep going. Even if i keep going i still wont be able to finish the truck in a reasonable time.

way2qk4u2c

forum member
Reaction score

This is where you can see my wet sanding starting to knock down orange peel. I went further to make it all dull and no shiny spots. however the orange peel is still there its like the entire clear coat wont ever get flat.

next pic is when i did the 3 steps of buffing to make it shine and remove the scratches.. it shines well but still blurry cuz of the orange peel. ft away its perfect any further it gets really blurry.

Kalatrax

forum member
Reaction score
Is that factory paint? Also 1500-2000 are your finish grits, start with a 600-800 to knock it down then a 1000-1200 followed by your 1500-2000 to finish before buffing it. You will never get anywhere trying to cut it down with 2k grit lol.

way2qk4u2c

forum member
Reaction score
yes factory paint...

damn so start more aggressive- 2 other buddies said don't go lower than 1500..hmmm I thought the same thing because 2000 takes FOREVER and doesnt remove hardly anything. But on the other hand people say using 2000 you can burn through the clear in no time.

way2qk4u2c

forum member
Reaction score
sometimes i sand with my fingers instead of a block and i wonder if that causes wavy orange peel. i need to find a good block. i tried using a sanding block but seems like its not hard enough.

Kalatrax

forum member
Reaction score
It will cut through very fast, you want to use tons of lubricant or soapy water and put very little pressure. A block needs to be used or it will not be flat. Yes and no, the orange peel begins building up with the base coats and continues on through the final coat of clear. Just be careful.

way2qk4u2c

forum member
Reaction score
I have a makita rotary and a porter cable

I also tried using the new carpro denim pads with m105 speed compound- the results are great but it takes over 8 hours for a door panel- just to much orange peel to knock down.

Dan do you know how to remove orange peel? if so come on by LOL

28ONE

Reaction score
What speed are you using with the CarPro denim pads and how often are you cleaning them?

way2qk4u2c

forum member
Reaction score
I have tried the carpro denim pads with both devices. with the rotary im about on a 2200 rpm and with the DA about a 4. Basically with the carpro pads and wet sanding its taking the sametime but the carpro shines the paint while doing it. However still way to long to get it nice. I can't imagine everyone out there making money taking them weeks to finish a car. So either my technique is wrong or something. Im going through compound like no other with minimal results. I clean them all the time and switch between pads too.

way2qk4u2c

forum member
Reaction score
I think i need someone to show me what i'm doing wrong or watch someone else do it and see if they get better results.

UltraKla$$ic

PERENNIAL WAXXER
Reaction score
My opinion

First, I HOPE you don't cut all the clear off your car, or even worse cut through the paint to bare metal because that would suck

Second, experimenting on a WHITE car is crazy. IMO one of the hardest to match if/when you screw up.

Third, I think you'd end up better if you took it to a Paint and Body shop you trusted and let them do it since we are talking about knocking down your clear coat quite a bit.

Fourth..........you're crazy. LOL!!

but if you must contiue.....block sand CAUTIOUSLY and no way would I get too aggressive as a noob. vids of the disaster please.

20140531_1914161.jpg

^^^This looks good IMO. I like a little Orange Peel. Keeps the factory look!

Last edited:

way2qk4u2c

forum member
Reaction score
Yeah i'm pretty much done with the hood- its as good as its going to get. i did go through the paint in one tiny area on a edge- but that won't be hard to fix. I'm giving up on the whole orange peel thing until someone can show me the best way to do it. I love trying new things but this one is right up there with landscaping and i hate both now.

gothamite302

forum member
Reaction score
Dude be REALLY careful with Ford factor clear! I have only done a few orange peel removal jobs but I make them sign a waiver just in case and I've only done cars that have been repainted with a PTG on hand and used after every single step. I think I billed over 30 hours on a 911 for just the paint work.

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk

way2qk4u2c

forum member
Reaction score
Yeah these factory paint jobs are so thin and done with robots so it't not perfect. The main part of it looks really good- i just was not thinking where i went through the clear on the edge- totally could have been avoidable. However for my first time it turned out really good. If i do anymore panels i won't be sanding that much and live with some peel. I was trying to get a show finish from a factory paint job and its just not possible with my expertise lol.

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back