Paint correction needed on front bumper

chon

Must install Paxton soon!
Reaction score
Took my car for a canyon run with some buddies. Had a blast but roads were very dusty/dirty, not really any rocks or gravel being flung at each other's cars.

Washed the car today and put a flood light on the bumper and flipped out on all the bumper damage. Tried claybar in case it was dirt or something with no luck. Most of these chips or whatever are smooth to touch and hardly feel deep. Looking up closely it appears to just be minor clear coat chips. I am no pro detailer but I do have a porter cable and some Adams swirl/haze remover which didnt do anything of course lol. I am guessing I need something that can cut more.

Here's the best pic I could get with my iPhone and a light. The whole bumper is like this, hood and fenders are fine. Hoping to get some recommendations on products to try to fix this. I should have got a clear bra as soon as I bought the car :(

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1363061246.119278.jpg

Last edited:

michael.konor

forum member
Reaction score
Is it like that across the entire bumper? Easily noticed in normal light?

Without actually seeing it in person, there are several options available to you. The first would be rubbing compound, the second would be wet sanding if only the clear coat is damaged with some 1500+ grit, which would really a PITA on your bumper due to the curves and corners (effectiveness will depend on how thick your clear coat is too since you could easily sand too much, your patience, and time available), the last option is paint shop.

The last option is to just live with it.

chon

Reaction score
Thanks for the replies guys.

Its actually not noticeable under normal light conditions and just standing and looking down at the car...But its pretty much most of the bumper. I washed the car and there was still some light out and it looked great. flood light up against the car shows it and it just looks horrible lol.

I don't feel comfortable with wet sanding though.

Cal26Stang

forum member
Reaction score
I'd take it to a professional and have it evaluated, if you don't feel comfortable wet sanding, don't do it IMO

chon

Reaction score
Took it to a well known place in SA and they pretty much said it's fucked. Gonna get it resprayed!

Back