Paul's 2011 Race Red GT Build

Paul.

forum member
Reaction score
Well, I'm going to be continuing my mods on the car here shortly, but first, here's some pics and info from when I bought the car in May.

I've had lots and lots of Mustangs over the years, and I'm here with my most recent. This is my 2011 Mustang GT Premium. I bought it used with less than 4,000 miles on it in May '12, and now it has a little over 9,000 miles on it. It came with:
- Brembos
- 3.73s
- Nav/Sync
- Glass Roof
- Comfort Package (heated seats and such)
- HIDs
- Body package (louvers, hood scoop, side scoops, wing, stripes)
It came with every factory option except the Shaker 1500. Here's a few pics from when I bought it:
RedCarFrontQuarter.jpg

RedCarRearQurter.jpg

RedCarLeft.jpg

RedCarInterior.jpg

RedCarGlassRoof.jpg

RedCarFront.jpg

RedCarBrakes.jpg

RecordCarNav.jpg

Almost immediately after buying it, I deleted the stripes, side scoops, and louvers. I also installed GT/CS front and rear lower valances, and a Saleen grille. Here are pics from after the install. Also, I had the car professionally detailed so it's super shiny now. :)
MustangSide.jpg

MustangQuarter.jpg

MustangTopQuarter.jpg

MustangBack.jpg

MustangFront.jpg

My first trip the track in 100% factory stock form was fun. The car is definitely a challenge to launch, and the wheel hop is horrible. Factory 19's with 255 Pirellis.
1st Pass - 14.0 @ 106, 2.4 60'
2nd Pass - 13.9 @ 108, 2.3 60'
Third time's a charm...
13.282 @ 110.04 mph. 2.184 mph
My buddy Trent and I made a total of 12 runs that night mostly in the 13.7 @ 107-8 range, but Trent was unable to best my third pass. He made more passes than I did in fact. The car wheel hops like CRAZY in second gear, and third, and spins the tires in fourth. In fact, depending on how the pass goes, I actually hit the limiter in fourth a couple times just as I was going through the traps.
Timeslip1.jpg

Launching.jpg

Pretty sure this guy beat me.
Staged.jpg

I was able to run quicker than another blown '11 GT and a '11 GT500. At the end of the day, I had an absolute BLAST. It was so fun to race again, and the fact that this thing went low 13s at 110 mph right outta the gate is pretty awesome. Then my GF and rolled home in air conditioned silence and comfort whilst getting 23 mpg on the freeway.

I've since had the car back at the track, (still all stock) but have only managed to whittle it down to 13.11 @ 109.70. Again, wheelhop is very frustrating.

My new tires just arrived a few days ago...

NewTires.jpg

They are Hankook Ventus V12 Evos:
- 275/30/20
- 305/25/20

Those tires are going to be going on my Forgestar F14s. I ordered them in 20x9 and 20x11 with the "Brushed Titanium" finish.

I also ordered some parts to lower the car:
- Koni STR.T shocks/struts
- Steeda Sport springs
- GT500 mounts

I'm hoping to install all of that stuff before Christmas. I'll post pics of the progress.

Paul.

Paul.

forum member
Reaction score
Thanks man. The '11 is really nice to work on because everything is new and clean. I also have a much-longer build thread (on other forums) for my '89 notch. The '11 is way more satisfying because the projects don't take long, and I always get to drive it and the end...

...unlike my notch, which I've been working on for five years. :|

Paul.

stang8psi

forum member
Reaction score
Good build so far but why choose a shorter tire for a 3.73 car? Have fun at the strip and on the street! Your gonna run out of gear quick

Greg Hazlett

Stepping on the Pink Bus
Official Vendor
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Hope you have tires for track days, those 20's are heavy and are not going to help at all for better times/mph.

LCA's should be on the list and at the top to help with reducing wheel hop.

VTXFrank

Obama SUCKS!
Reaction score
Hope you have tires for track days, those 20's are heavy and are not going to help at all for better times/mph.

LCA's should be on the list and at the top to help with reducing wheel hop.

This^^^

LCA's with relocation brackets will pretty much make all of your wheel hop go bye-bye.

With those wheels and tires, your 1/4 times are likely going to suffer as you will probably have to shift one more time to cross.

I researched my wheels and tires quite a bit before purchase. I have 3.55 gears. I went with a wheel and tire combo that saved weight at all four corners. Even though I went from 245/45-19's all around on the stock wheels to 255/35-19 up front and 275/35-19 out back, I dropped, on average, 7lbs per corner. It made the car feel like it did when I first put the tune and intake on it. If you race, your wheel and tire choice should always mean lighter at the corners. That reduction in rotating mass is a significant kick in the shorts.

Paul.

forum member
Reaction score
I'm pretty sure if drag strip times were my ultimate concern, I would not be buying 20" Forgestars. But thanks for the advice.

The car will see a drag strip MAYBE three times a year, so I really couldn't care less. The Forgestars are for boulevard cruising, and will look awesome.

If I decide that I want to go fast at the strip, then I'll:
- get the axle tubes welded
- buy slicks/skinnies with some racestars

The car is 99% daily driver, and 1% racecar. I chose the shorter tire because the 315/35/20s were double the price. I thought I'd try out these Hankook tires because my buddy put them on his '11 GT and has nothing but good things to say about them; however, they don't offer a 315/35/20, so I went with the 305/25/20s. If I don't like them, then I'll buy different tires when these wear out.

Paul.

Paul.

forum member
Reaction score
Nice build. Interested to see how the F14s look in the brushed titanium. Everyone gets black.

Yeah, I hate black wheels. I think it's just a fad that will eventually go the way of tramp stamps.

I don't want my car to look exactly like everyone else's. Of course, with a Mustang, it's hard to avoid.

Paul.

Paul.

forum member
Reaction score
So literally two seconds after I posted that, the Fed Ex guy rang the door bell.

Springs are here too. Strut mounts should be here tomorrow.

ShocksStrutsSprings.jpg

I still need to order the TPMS sensors, but I have plenty of time before my wheels arrive.

Paul.

Paul.

forum member
Reaction score
Update!

Just got an email from Forgestar. My wheels are ready to ship!!

With a little luck, I'll have my shiny new 20s installed by Christmas. I have new tires, shocks, struts, springs, mounts, TPMS sensors, and lugnuts all waiting for the wheels to arrive. :)

Paul.

Paul.

forum member
Reaction score
Bam!

Forgestar F14s - Brushed Titanium 20x9 and 20x11. Machined face with powdercoated spokes/hoops. I'm so excited to have these. Been waiting about six weeks.

Hankook Ventus V12 Evo Tires, 275/30/20 and 305/25/20. The tires are a little shorter in the back than I'd prefer, (I would've like a 30 aspect ratio) but they'll be fine for now. I'm just going to need to be careful with such a short sidewall to not damage anything. I also suspect ride quality will suffer a little more than a taller tire.

Forgestars4.jpg

Forgestars3.jpg

Forgestars2.jpg

Forgestars1.jpg

I need to install the lowering springs, shocks, and struts. Then I'll put these on and drive to the alignment shop.

Paul.

Latest posts

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back