Paxton is on, now I need to fix the traction problem

Fosters

forum member
Reaction score
My car was hooking fairly good, 1.7 60's when it had just a 3C converter and x pipe and nothing else otherwise - bone stock suspension and 255/60/15 MT DRs. Now that it has a paxton on the stock pulley, traction has become an issue - rolling into it in 2nd produces a nice controllable drift. So I need to do something about the suspension and/or tires I think. Here are my thoughts and questions:

The car is a daily driver, and it feels like it sits low enough in the front - any lower and I'll be scraping the intercooler pipes it seems. The rear does have quite the 4x4 gap. Reading the reviews, I don't think the new cobrajet springs would work too well for me, dropping the nose another 1.75"... Would the old CJ springs that don't drop the car work just as well performance wise? If not, any other springs that would bring the back down a bit more and leave the front fairly untouched?

What about shocks and struts, what would be a good street/strip, preferably adjustable setup - QA1s?

The swaybar is currently connected but when I disconnected it last time I got the control arm squeak - that some say is associated with bushings getting cooked by the cats, wouldn't surprise me at all. I'll hopefully be able to get the dealer to replace the control arms, otherwise, are there any aftermarket bushings (maybe even front control arms) that would solve the issue?

Other than springs and swaybar, considering I have no wheelhop or anything, what would you suggest as far as upgrades to get this thing to hook? upper control arm + mount seems to come up a lot but mostly as a solution to wheelhop... does it do anything to help grip in general?

The only suspension mod so to speak is the rear swaybar relocation bracket in order to fit the 15" welds.

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back