Phase limiters VS phase lockouts

Wnt2gofst

Banned
Reaction score

BlackMamba03

forum member
Reaction score
about time someone started a thread about this. ive been wondering the same thing since comp cams released their new camshafts. im nowhere near an expert on camshafts so im in the same boat as you. off topic, post some pics and let me know how the stage 3's turn out for you.

ngnichols

forum member
Reaction score
Ok I ordered a set of Stage 3 comp cams. Now I seen AM says use the Phase lockouts. On comp cams they say the limiters is only needed. Can some one help explain the benefits of each and which way is best to go. Or why they have both listed even.

http://www.compperformancegroupstor...=5493&Category_Code=5.0LCOYOTE2011PRESENTMISC

http://www.compperformancegroupstor...=5492&Category_Code=5.0LCOYOTE2011PRESENTMISC

Limiters still allow the VCT to work, but in a limited range.

Lockouts completely "lock-out" the VCT from working at all and you also need to have that completely turned off in your tune.

Trbosvt

Reaction score
Lockouts will completely eliminate the TiVCT. and limiters will limit the amount of retard/advance with the TiVCT. It really depends on how big the camshaft is...what you're trying to prevent is piston to valve contact. By limiting it, you're limititing the amount of retard the exhaust cam can be retarded and limiting the amount you can advance the intake cam. if the camshaft has a reasonable amount of duration, retarding the exhaust cam will cause the piston to come into contact with the exhasut valve at it's closing point. By limiting the amount of retard thios can be prevented. Same with the intake cam, but the intake cam is with the opening point and amount of advance.

Damn Treed!!!!

Wnt2gofst

Banned
Reaction score
Thanks guys. I will keep some VCT in it. As I think it will cause a little power lose deleting altogether. Soon these come in we will start tearing it apart. And doing some other upgrades as we go. Full build will not be done till end year or so. In no rush since I will not be back in the country till Jan.

08StangGT_CS

forum member
Reaction score
Let me know on the cams as I am very interested in doing it as well but thought I'd wait till someone else posted a review!

Bad Intention

forum member
Reaction score
Brenspeed has installed a set of comp cams not sure what stage. Give Brent a call he can expain what they did and will let you know how they worked out.

assasinator

1000hp turbo 4v
Reaction score
stick with the limiters. keeping drivability is important to most. with lockouts it will be no different than a ported n/a 5.4 with GT heads IMO.

Mikes5.0

forum member
Reaction score
Let me know on the cams as I am very interested in doing it as well but thought I'd wait till someone else posted a review!

X2 Keep us posted, Im very interested in the cams but didn't feel like taking one for the team. LOL

OP are you going to keep the factory valve springs or use the boss springs?

Wnt2gofst

Banned
Reaction score
I will also be using forged internal from MMR.

2011 5.0 Manley Forged Pistons and 4340 Forged H beam Rods by Manley
Planning a s/c, turbo or high HP build, these are a MUST. Built for MMR by Manley Products. Designed to handle up to 1000 HP. These are a direct fit and require no modifications. Works with crank. Includes ARP hardware and Moly Lube.

Brenspeed

forum member
Reaction score
We did all of the Comp Cams testing on these camshafts and limiters is all you need.

Wnt2gofst

Banned
Reaction score
We did all of the Comp Cams testing on these camshafts and limiters is all you need.
Ya That what thought. Same thing MMR told me. They suggested deleting oil squirters for high hp builds. What do you guys recommend. Also what kind of gains did you see with the stage 3 cams.

08StangGT_CS

forum member
Reaction score
My only "concern" is the turn-around times of ported heads. Don't want to down my car for so long since it's the only vehicle I have with AC. At 111 F today, it is a must!

Wnt2gofst

Banned
Reaction score
My only "concern" is the turn-around times of ported heads. Don't want to down my car for so long since it's the only vehicle I have with AC. At 111 F today, it is a must!
Understandable. I live in Texas also. But I am in Iraq so no worries. I know MMR says there turn around time is 7-10 days.

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back