Picking up an 08 GT500

CJ-

forum member
Reaction score
hey guys, I’m going to look at a 08 GT500 with 6 speed manual tran and 41,000 miles... Is there anything I should pay particular attention too? Any Areas that are prone to failure?

kazman59

King of Kazmania
Reaction score
Any mods?

The clutch should be changed out by now, if not it will be soon. If stock Goodyears, plan on dumping them no matter how good they look.

Typical mustang stuff...
Check the power seat motors, three of them. They can't be changed out independently. Gotta swap the whole ba$e.

Blend door motors. Air bag recalls.

Last edited:

tjm73

of Omicron Persei 8
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
I would inspect the door panels for the separation issue. Not sure if the issue was corrected by 2008 or not.

CJ-

forum member
Reaction score
Ok I checked everything, despite the spare tire and jack being missing, passenger door leather peeling off a bit, several little dents in the metal panel between the center air vents and the front turn signal bulb being burnt out... I bought her.

Yeah she does have the Goodyear eagles and they are probably original and your right, they look good and nearly new.

A9F6A0D1-D3D2-404C-B3F5-7377C2F034CE.jpeg

54EF6709-4680-445F-9899-55430406D1C0.jpeg

CJ-

forum member
Reaction score
Any mods?

The clutch should be changed out by now, if not it will be soon. If stock Goodyears, plan on dumping them no matter how good they look.

Typical mustang stuff...
Check the power seat motors, three of them. They can't be changed out independently. Gotta swap the whole ba$e.

Blend door motors. Air bag recalls.
No mods, 1 owner and garage kept. Power seat works in all directions, air bladder lumber support works. Gotta check with the dealer on the air bags.

kazman59

King of Kazmania
Reaction score
Didn't come with a spare or jack, should have an inflator pack in the well. EVERY door panel on the 07-09s peels eventually, some more some less.

The Goodyears are hard as rocks to begin with, if the date codes are 07-08 I would consider them dangerous. If newer date codes, a severe impingement on any type of performance driving.

Gabe

Whippled Coyote
Reaction score
Yeah, GT500's don't come with spare tire or jack, they come with an air pump.

Great color combo, congrats!

You can check for the recalls by entering your VIN on NHTSA's site: https://www.nhtsa.gov/recalls

46addict

Reaction score
I'd feel at ease buying a Mustang with the original tires still on, even if they need replaced. It takes restraint to go 41k miles on one set of tires so the car most likely had a good life. Congrats OP.

tjm73

of Omicron Persei 8
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
I'd feel at ease buying a Mustang with the original tires still on, even if they need replaced. It takes restraint to go 41k miles on one set of tires so the car most likely had a good life. Congrats OP.

Man...never thought of thinking like that. Clever.

Speedboosted

Found missing cylinders
Reaction score

This is a good point...

Congrats OP, these cars are becoming huge bargains. Looks like a clean car overall, enjoy! And yes, please put some fresh tires on it as soon as you can. You'll be amazed at how much better of a car it is afterward.

redfirepearlgt

forum member
Reaction score
Been looking for one as well. Found an 08 GT500 with 9400 miles in Charcoal gray with silver last week. Was gone before I could get a response back from the seller....back to the drawing board. Maybe that's my sign to wait another year for a 13GT500.

46addict

Reaction score
If you do Facebook, there are nice 2007-12 GT500s that come up for sale in Mustang groups. Im on SVT Performance and S197 Forum.

redfirepearlgt

forum member
Reaction score
If you do Facebook, there are nice 2007-12 GT500s that come up for sale in Mustang groups. Im on SVT Performance and S197 Forum.

Thanks. I don't do FB, twitter, snap chat, or any other social media of that type. Appreciate the info though.

Gringo

Reaction score
Having a sort of dilemma here on this topic. I bought a one-owner stock ‘08 GT with 21k miles on it. Had it a year and a half now. Put a CAI on it, tuner, put 3.73 gears, a short throw shifter and FRPP axle back mufflers. Love the car.
I ve got about $18k into it now and wondering which way to go next for my daily driver.
Do I put another $7k+ into a ProCharger stage II or trade this stock GT and some cash for a used 500?
This car was babied. I like the idea of a “sleeper” 08 with 450 horses but the allure of that cobra is undeniable. Any thoughts?

Last edited:

Gabe

Whippled Coyote
Reaction score
Having a sort of dilemma here on this topic. I bought a one-owner stock ‘08 GT with 21k miles on it. Had it a year and a half now. Put a CAI on it, tuner, put 3.73 gears, a short throw shifter and FRPP axle back mufflers. Love the car.
I ve got about $18k into it now and wondering which way to go next for my daily driver.
Do I put another $7k+ into a ProCharger stage II or trade this stock GT and some cash for a used 500?
This car was babied. I like the idea of a “sleeper” 08 with 450 horses but the allure of that cobra is undeniable. Any thoughts?

Sell the '08, get as much money for it as you can, then buy a GT500.
It's a different animal.
It's actually an animal.
You won't regret it.

jhunt47

forum member
Reaction score
I have way to much money in my car. It’s supercharged with 465hp to the ground. If I had to do it over I would have bought the gt500. It was the thought of letting all money go at one time that talked me out of it before. I wouldn’t put anymore in it period take the loss and get what you want.

46addict

Reaction score
What do you mean by you've put $18k in it? Is that including the cost of the car?

If you decide to get a Procharger, I have that exact kit for sale and I will sell it to you for less than half of retail since it's been used. But a GT will always be a GT and a GT500 will hold better value even if you build the GT to perform better. I guess the decision depends on if you think of cars as an investment or if they are your toys.

eighty6gt

forum member
Reaction score
would get the GT500 and put an aftermarket blower on it. 2.65. Let it rip!

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back