Picking up an 08 GT500

Gringo

Reaction score
What do you mean by you've put $18k in it? Is that including the cost of the car?

Total. Car was summer ride for original owner in Cheyenne. He put about 3000 miles on it every summer and then put it away. All service records from Ford dealer. It had 21800 miles on it. All stock. 5 speed.
I bought it fo $16k and added a JLT CAI and tuner, LCAs, Hurst short throw stick, 3.73 rear end and the FRPP mufflers for another 2k$. I’ve been looking at ProChargers and the DOB 450 kit. I realize the Shelbys have suspension goodies along with additional tweaks my GT doesnt have in addition to the engine.
I like the S197 body style reminds me of the 68 GT 390 fastback I had way back in the day.

Gabe

Whippled Coyote
Reaction score
The first 2 things a Shelby needs done to it are suspension and tires, if the car is stock.
It sits almost 3" higher in the rear than the front, and the factory Goodyear tires are horrible. They don't put down the power at all, they just spin.
But, some new shocks/struts, a set of Ford Racing "L" rear springs, an adjustable Panhard bar to center the rear axle, and the suspension is pretty much all set for most of what anybody might put the car through.

Gringo

Reaction score
Been reading threads here. Notice that of the S197s the ‘07 and ‘10 models are the least desirable.
Is there a ‘best choice’ year for S197 GT500’s? Or any year to specifically avoid?

Gabe

Whippled Coyote
Reaction score
Been reading threads here. Notice that of the S197s the ‘07 and ‘10 models are the least desirable.
Is there a ‘best choice’ year for S197 GT500’s? Or any year to specifically avoid?

The '07 has a really heavy crank damper which is ok for stock or slightly-above-stock power levels, but if you want to go for more than that, you need to replace it with the OEM '08+ unit or an aftermarket unit.
Also, the factory clutch was a mess on most '07-'08 models, and some '09.
There was a TSB on them which replaced the flywheel, clutch assembly, and on some cars the input shaft and the synchros. Had the TSB done on my wife's '08 at about 44k miles around the end of '13, covered under the Powertrain warranty the dealership sold her the car with, only cost us the $100 deductible.
New clutch has much lighter effort and it's been holding 656 rwhp for a couple years now. At the time the repair was done the car was putting down about 545rwhp.

So, crank damper on the '07's and possibly a clutch, if the stock unit hasn't been replaced yet.
Other than that and an occasional alternator, the '07-'09 cars are pretty bulletproof.
The '10 has the new body style but the same 5.4 iron-block engine, the '11-'12 got the aluminum-block 5.4, and the '13-'14 got the aluminum 5.8, carbon fiber Driveshaft, and a few other upgrades.
The '11-'12 has the desirable Performance or Track Pack option, whatever they call it.
Nothing wrong with either version of the 5.4, it has about the same 700-725 rwhp limits as the 5.8 ... To go over that you need better than 93 octane fuel, and/or built bottom-end.

One thing I do like about the iron-block engine, it can be bored out a bit.
The aluminum engines use that spray bore liner

stkjock

---- Madmin ----
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
13-14s if the budget is there

Gringo

Reaction score
Was just reading Car & Driver review on ‘11 GT 500. Was surprised they suggested saving a lot money and buying a GT instead.
Of course they hate our axles.
The little Europhiles.

13-14s if the budget is there

Probably not although I’ll look at that.
I’m trying to justify getting a Shelby vs putting a blower on my near mint ‘08 GT.
Realistic budget more in the high 20’s.

Last edited by a moderator:

Gabe

Whippled Coyote
Reaction score
'07 GT500's are easily found in the mid-$20k range, and '08's are not far away, mid-to-high $20k range.
Lower if higher mileage.

06 T-RED S/C GT

forum member
Reaction score
The first 2 things a Shelby needs done to it are suspension and tires, if the car is stock.
It sits almost 3" higher in the rear than the front, and the factory Goodyear tires are horrible. They don't put down the power at all, they just spin.
But, some new shocks/struts, a set of Ford Racing "L" rear springs, an adjustable Panhard bar to center the rear axle, and the suspension is pretty much all set for most of what anybody might put the car through.
Gabe, just keep in mind that Eibach is the manufacturer of the Ford racing springs. And I know you're not a fan of Eibach following your past experience with their spring kits lol.

Gabe

Whippled Coyote
Reaction score
Gabe, just keep in mind that Eibach is the manufacturer of the Ford racing springs. And I know you're not a fan of Eibach following your past experience with their spring kits lol.

No, not a fan, but after using the Ford "L" springs on the back of my wife's car for about 3 years, I feel ok recommending that brand/model spring.
Whatever they are as an Eibach, no thanks. Lol.

jhunt47

forum member
Reaction score
There is a 07 gt500 with 115k miles for 18k on Craigslist. It’s in Missouri right now if your not afraid of the mileage.

Gringo

Reaction score
There is a 07 gt500 with 115k miles for 18k on Craigslist. It’s in Missouri right now if your not afraid of the mileage.
Thanks i took a look. It looks in good shape from photos but dont they all. I think i can swing a few more dollars for a few less miles.
My first choice would be a more subdued color and possibly a ragtop. Silver or white without stripes if I can find one. I sometimes exceed the posted limit on the backroads between Colorado and Texas ( only when it’s safe, of course) and like colors that fade at dusk or with a snowy background. Did they ever do urban camo?

I noticed some obviously mislabeled “Shelby” mustangs on Craigslist too.

stkjock

---- Madmin ----
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
the stripes are vinyl, you can take them off easily.

Gabe

Whippled Coyote
Reaction score
the stripes are vinyl, you can take them off easily.

Two things I have to say about that:

1. The stripes are a huge thing to a Shelby. Without them it mostly looks like just another Mustang.

2. As expensive as that stripes kit is from Ford, removing them is such sacrilege ...

stkjock

---- Madmin ----
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Two things I have to say about that:

1. The stripes are a huge thing to a Shelby. Without them it mostly looks like just another Mustang.

2. As expensive as that stripes kit is from Ford, removing them is such sacrilege ...
I don't disagree, but the post I replied to said he's looking for one without, my point is that the stripes should not really be much of a factor.

Gabe

Whippled Coyote
Reaction score
I don't disagree, but the post I replied to said he's looking for one without, my point is that the stripes should not really be much of a factor.

yeah, I get it, and aren't the over-the-top stripes only standard on the coupes?
I thought the convertibles came with just the rocker stripes from the factory.
Maybe he should just look for a vert

Gringo

Reaction score
Thanks for the stripe info that’s good to know. I think bright colors and flashy stripes are fine for those who like them. And I sure wouldnt let their presence stop me from buying the right car. I’d likely try it with the stripes for a while to see if they grew on me.
But I suspect the Shelby name on the back and the cobra emblems on the sides would be more than enough for me. I like sleepers.
I love the vapor metallic on my 08 GT. I disappear in fog.

Are the flat aero style roll bars on the verts a stock item? Are they functional?

Last edited by a moderator:

TRC51

forum member
Reaction score

True they come off easy, but on older cars the paint color is different underneath the stripes versus the rest of the car. I looked at an 06 Roush stage 3 that had the stripes removed. It looked like they were still there. They said they could buff it out to paint correct it, but even after they did, it was still pretty obvious at almost any angle. I suppose it depends on exposure and how well the car was taken care of...

... just saying it's a risk.

Latest posts

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back