Picking up an 08 GT500

Gringo

Reaction score
Some nice cars there. A little too far away from me. I’m in Miami now but heading over to Houston this week. My 08 is in Colorado. I’ll be flying up and driving it to Houston in the next couple of weeks.
I bet there are some decent cars in Houston too.

I notice that some of these 8 and 10 year old GT500s have something like five different owners. I have to wonder about that. I can understand a Mustang fanatic with deep pockets buying a new one every year or two, but why did owners 2, 3, and 4 sell it? Why would you sell one of these you bought second or third hand after only owning it a year or two?

redfirepearlgt

forum member
Reaction score
Some nice cars there. A little too far away from me. I’m in Miami now but heading over to Houston this week. My 08 is in Colorado. I’ll be flying up and driving it to Houston in the next couple of weeks.
I bet there are some decent cars in Houston too.

I notice that some of these 8 and 10 year old GT500s have something like five different owners. I have to wonder about that. I can understand a Mustang fanatic with deep pockets buying a new one every year or two, but why did owners 2, 3, and 4 sell it? Why would you sell one of these you bought second or third hand after only owning it a year or two?

I've noticed this myself, and on ones not wrecked and with no maintenance other than oil changes, my guess is that they have seasonal insurance (which limits miles driven per year) on them to keep the cost down and only drive them on weekends to cruise ins and/or wifey gets pregnant and they have to give the car up to pay for the new nursery, diapers, and minivan.

Gringo

Reaction score
That makes sense.
I haven’t even dug into insurance yet and your comment reminds me that I need to settle in and get a US drivers license before buying a Shelby. I’m paying just over $3000 a year on my ten year old GT registered to a Montana LLC. Been living outside the country for the past 12 years. Foreign DL is a real pain.

redfirepearlgt

forum member
Reaction score
^^ Yip, you better do something to get that premium down or you may not even be able to get insured on a GT500. Man that is high as a kite. I thought paying $150 a month in California in the 80's was high for a Mazda RX-7 I had back then with multiple speeding tickets at a young age. WHEW!

Gringo

Reaction score
I’m an old dude with a perfect driving record. Have had licenses in Texas, California, and Massachusetts. Driving 50 years without a ticket or accident. But I have a Turks and Caicos Islands license.
And insurance is dinging me $1500 every six months.
Da bastids.

redfirepearlgt

forum member
Reaction score
I’m an old dude with a perfect driving record. Have had licenses in Texas, California, and Massachusetts. Driving 50 years without a ticket or accident. But I have a Turks and Caicos Islands license.
And insurance is dinging me $1500 every six months.
Da bastids.

Dag, then get that state license renewed. Should be no issue as a citizen. My uncle let his license lapse back in the 70's while he was in Japan for 5 years. He had some form of license there so he could drive locally. I took him to the license branch when he got back in the states in 81. He took the drive and written tests and done. Shouldn't be a big deal especially if you are as clear on tickets as my grandfather was (no tickets in his 87 years of living). Get that GT500 and I would bet that may change soon enough however! LOL! Best of luck.

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back