Plasti-Dip the 5.0 emblems DIY

Reaction score
There is another DIY on here on plastidipping emblems but i just wanted to share how i did it and my lessons learned, etc. Enjoy. :beerdrink:

Got off of work early today and decided to swing by home depot and pick up some plasti-dip. Grand total came out to about $6.39 if i remember correctly. You're going to need some basic tools to accomplish this but hindsight you might want to grab and exacto/hobby knife instead of the bulky razor knife. I had to go and find one to finish the project. Pictured below are the tools i used minus my fingernail. The fingernail and the small equipment screw driver were the best tools for this project. Onward.............................
IMAG0017.jpg

Tape up the emblem.... I used the small screw driver to push the excess underneath the emblem. There is a ton of room so getting the painters tape exact is no big deal. Example why is pictured below. All of that excess pushed up underneath the emblem. Little cutting was involved.
IMAG0018.jpg

Pictured below is the emblem after it has all been taped up.
IMAG0019.jpg

Now, most ricer DIY's don't have you tape up around the paint they just say you can peel it off the paint. Well i did not want to do that so i grabbed something to keep all of the plastidip off of my paint. Seeing as how no one reads newspapers anymore I had to improvise. This old calendar I had in my office did just fine. As you can see..........
IMAG0020.jpg

Coat #1 pictured below. Goes on pretty thick, but i wanted a nice clean finish so i opted for more coats.
IMAG0021.jpg

Pictured below is after 3 coats and ready to take off. Now, this is where experience and high sight also played a key role in this. Don't just go ripping off the tape. I actually had to redo an emblem because of this. Take your razorknife/xacto knife and lightly go around the edges of the emblem and peel very very carefully. All of it will come off if you go about it by just ripping the tape off. Also i would let it dry for over and hour atleast. First time I only let it dry for 30 minutes and that was an issue all in itself. Live and learn i guess.....
IMAG0022.jpg

Annnnnnnnndddd pictured below is the finished product.
IMAG0023.jpg

IMAG0024-1.jpg

Lessons learned: I actually did this way to fast and should have waited 30+ minutes between coats. I opted for 15 minute intervals. Another lesson learned is cutting around the edge of the emblem with the exacto knife and letting it dry longer. I should have let it dry over night but i was kind of excited to see the finished product. Oh well, my screw ups are you guys' gains. Another lesson learned is ricers are way more talented at these little arts and crafts things involving vehicles. Their emblems are much better looking than mine as pictured on the internet.

Rasmus

forum member
Reaction score
Seriously, you did it the hard way. Do not tape off the emblem, but do a bigger area. Once the PlastiDip dries, you just peel it off, and it will separate around the emblem edge. I know you said you didn't want to do it that way, but it's definitely the way to go. It's what I've been doing on several cars now.

Reaction score
Seriously, you did it the hard way. Do not tape off the emblem, but do a bigger area. Once the PlastiDip dries, you just peel it off, and it will separate around the emblem edge. I know you said you didn't want to do it that way, but it's definitely the way to go. It's what I've been doing on several cars now.

I have an area or two that is kind of pealing up. Think that will prevent it from peeling up more? I was scared that it would take all the stuff off and not separate. I know it wouldn't have damaged the paint, i just was kind of hoping it would have peeled better with the painters tape.

Viperrmk

forum member
Reaction score
Very kool. Thanks for the write up.

I also read this so maybe it will help out as well but keep that nozzle clean by spraying upside down until clear. Do this between every coat or the spray will be sporadic and cause thicker areas to form easier.

echoinsilence

forum member
Reaction score
I have an area or two that is kind of pealing up. Think that will prevent it from peeling up more? I was scared that it would take all the stuff off and not separate. I know it wouldn't have damaged the paint, i just was kind of hoping it would have peeled better with the painters tape.

I just took an exacto knife and went around the inside edge of the emblem, it all peeled off fine

Reaction score
I just took an exacto knife and went around the inside edge of the emblem, it all peeled off fine

Ya, but i went back and did it like Rasmus said and that is in fact the best/easiest way to do it. However, i did have to claybar a bit around the area due to splotchy overspray but it was no big deal. If i had it to do over again, i would not do it this way. Waaaayyyy over kill like Rasmus stated.

PIKE5.0

Reaction score
Thanks for this trial and error... I've been shopping around for Black replacement badges, but I'm gonna give this a shot.

So don't tape off.. Just shoot and peel?

Reaction score
Thanks for this trial and error... I've been shopping around for Black replacement badges, but I'm gonna give this a shot.

So don't tape off.. Just shoot and peel?

Yep, i did it that way a second time around and it worked like a charm. I would however tape around the fenders because the overspray is a pain. If you do get overspray claybar works wonders on getting it off.

And an update, my emblems have gone through 3 washings and they are still like new. This stuff is durable.

PIKE5.0

Reaction score
Yep, i did it that way a second time around and it worked like a charm. I would however tape around the fenders because the overspray is a pain. If you do get overspray claybar works wonders on getting it off.

And an update, my emblems have gone through 3 washings and they are still like new. This stuff is durable.

Great.. I was going for a flat black finish.. Yours doesn't look too glossy, would you describe it as flatter black or can I buy a different finish than you did?

Cuttinh

forum member
Reaction score
Lucky on the painters tape folding under the 5.0's - The GT's have to be very delicately cut and it can be a pain...! Next time (hopefully there won't be!) I'll try without.

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back