Porter Cable 7424 XP

08StangGT_CS

forum member
Reaction score
Howdy,

So I have bought myself a Meguiar's Clay Kit, which I plan to follow with Klazze All-In-One Sealant, and finally throw in a coat of Meguiar's Gold Class Paste Wax. I think I am about to purchase a Porter Cable 7424 XP to facilitate the application of these. What is you all's opinion on this product?

Also, any product recommendations or tips will be appreciated.

alloy6ix

Wiener Dog Racer
Reaction score
Howdy,

So I have bought myself a Meguiar's Clay Kit, which I plan to follow with Klazze All-In-One Sealant, and finally throw in a coat of Meguiar's Gold Class Paste Wax. I think I am about to purchase a Porter Cable 7424 XP to facilitate the application of these. What is you all's opinion on this product?

Also, any product recommendations or tips will be appreciated.

meguiars makes good stuff, never used the product you're looking at, but for an on the go job, their quick detailer does miracles!!!

pieperz06

i need to get blown
Reaction score
i would recommend not clay baring the whole car it will take you all day just doing the front of the car and where there would be stuff hitting seemed to work best for me doing the whole car is a pain.

IHVOCD

forum member
Reaction score
If you want it done right then clay bar the whole car. Don't do a half ass job! As for the 7424XP it works pretty good.

StangMahn

They call me...Big Dave
Reaction score
yup, definately clay bar the whole car, you'll be astounded at the results! just remember to keep kneading the clay to get a clean surface.

alloy6ix

Wiener Dog Racer
Reaction score
i would recommend not clay baring the whole car it will take you all day just doing the front of the car and where there would be stuff hitting seemed to work best for me doing the whole car is a pain.

If you want it done right then clay bar the whole car. Don't do a half ass job! As for the 7424XP it works pretty good.

yeah true, I have a friend (silverbolt from this site) who has taken the time to clay bar his whole car a few times. It takes a few hours but damn, his car looks gorgeous compared to everyone else in our car club. lol. it's worth the hassle if you have time.

SilverBolt

Its "just" a sixer.
Reaction score
I definitely recommend you clay bar your whole car and finish it off with a nice coat of wax or sealant . It takes a good amount of time but it is so worth man. I've used both the meguiars and mothers. The meguiars is good stuff but there is definitely no shine like mothers.

alloy6ix

Wiener Dog Racer
Reaction score
I definitely recommend you clay bar your whole car and finish it off with a nice coat of wax or sealant . It takes a good amount of time but it is so worth man. I've used both the meguiars and mothers. The meguires is good stuff but there is definitely no shine like mothers.

hahaha!! is that what they paid you to say? lol. :kidding:

SilverBolt

Its "just" a sixer.
Reaction score
i did my whole car the first time i did it and never want to do it agian that is why i said that

Don't worry bout it man you can ask alloy6ix, I have a weird obsession with cleaning my car. That's the only reason why i do the whole car. No sane person would the entire car again after they do it for the first time.

thecarter13

forum member
Reaction score
Like everyone said clay barring is one of the best things to do. It might seem too take awhile but that can be based on the clay used and what not. Most of the time when you clay bar for the first time it can take awhile and what not but that is because of the amount of contaminants present. The second time it should be much easier than before. Also Megs White (the one at auto places in the box) is a very good mild clay but dont skimp on buying some heavier grade stuff such as Megs Pro Detailing Clay or Clay Magic Blue. They will really cut down your time for claying and pull up contaminants faster. I.E only 2 passes over an area versus 4 or 5 passes.

Btw Silver I clay every 3 months and it only takes 30 minutes or so. Now there probably isnt much in the way of contaminants since I wax and wash so often.

and BOO Mothers (lol), sorry never been a fan of their stuff.

08Stang: Good pickup on the XP, I have heard good things about it but haven't picked one up myself, I have enough polishers laying around already. You will have to tell me how bad it vibrates thought. My hands go numb after about 5 minutes with my PC (not xp) when running speeds 5-6 (correction work); thats about my only gripe with my PC as of right now.

flaming70vw

forum member
Reaction score
The Klaase goes on by hand pretty easy don't know if there is a need for the porter cabel there. Definately use it to bring out the shine in the waxing department.

SilverBolt

Its "just" a sixer.
Reaction score
Btw Silver I clay every 3 months and it only takes 30 minutes or so. Now there probably isnt much in the way of contaminants since I wax and wash so often.

Looks like i got to try Megs Pro Detailing Clay. If it saves me some time then it'll be well worth it.

08StangGT_CS

forum member
Reaction score
Screw the bank, I just ordered me a package containing:
Porter Cable 7424XP Polisher
Porter Cable 7424XP Wrench
Porter Cable 7424XP Counter Weight
5 Inch Backing Plate
2-CCS White 6.5 Inch Polishing Foam Pads
2-CCS Gray 6.5 Inch Finishing Foam Pads
1-CCS Blue 6.5 Inch Finessing Foam Pad
2 Cobra White Microfiber Polishing Cloths
12 oz. Pinnacle XMT Polishing Pad Cleaner
12 oz. Pinnacle XMT Polishing Pad Conditioner
1 Flat Wrench & 1 Counterweight

Plust my two free red pads.

07blkgt

forum member
Reaction score
I got the PC7424XP about 6 weeks ago and love it. After claying my car, I use Zaino products, they do wonders for black paint.

Latest posts

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back