Pro5.0 Shifter in an '05-09 V6 T5 car - w/pics

Lightningtruck

S197 Newb
Reaction score
Let me start off by saying that I hope this helps someone.

As a few of you know, I bought my first S197 over the winter, a wrecked 2005 V6 5-speed coupe to rebuild as a daily driver. Got that done, and got it where I wanted it, except that once I started driving it, I absolutely hated that stock shifter. So I got to using the search button and found the 10,278 posts talking about the different shifter options, and most centered around Hurst. Some loved them, some hated them, etc. And now they cost about 300 bucks. Not looking real good to me, so I started wondering if I could put a Pro 5.0 shifter from a GT/3650 transmission on my 4.0L/T5 combo. I'm here to tell you that IT WORKS PERFECTLY. Here's some background and my observations.

First off, I bought a stock GT 3650 shifter to compare to my stock V6 T5 shifter. Not much difference, and the only real things I could see was that bend in the forward rod for the front mount, and maybe the pivot location is a bit taller on the V6 shifter. Check out the picture, the top one is the V6 stocker, the middle is the GT stocker, and of course the bottom is the Pro 5.0 for a GT.

GT versus V6, the forward bend:

V6 versus Pro 5.0, the forward bend. Not much difference!

More V6 versus Pro 5.0:

Top view - V6 versus Pro 5.0, this is looking too easy!

Reuse these metal sleeves from the forward mount in the stock shifter. They fit perfectly into the urethane front mount bushings of the Pro 5.0:

Sleeves installed:

Stock bolt works perfectly at the front mount. Don't forget to add a dab of blue Loctite:

I assembled this without removing the driveshaft. Obviously, it would be much easier to just install the shifter in one piece with the driveshaft out. But you can do it with the driveshaft in place by removing the red forward beam of the Pro 5.0 shifter from the rest of the body. Install both pieces separately in the car and then bolt them together. Once that was done, and I installed the shift rod itself. You'll need to pay attention to the brass bushing orientation. Here's what I mean by that:

Bushings used for the lower pivot arm in the Pro 5.0. From driver-to-passenger side of the car, the assembly is as follows: Bottom of shift arm - fat brass bushing - shift rod - thin brass bushing.

If you get the orientation wrong, you will not get the full sideways range of shifting motion. I did the trial-and-error thing with this and finally figured it out.

Almost done. I got inside the car and bolted the Pro-5.0 handle up. I installed to the left of the shifter arm sticking up, so as to get the shifter knob closer to me. Note that this gets cozy with the console and might not allow you to get it into the 1-2 gates very easy. This will be obvious if you have this issue. Solution is to install the handle on the other side of the shifter arm, or, do as I did in the final version, which is to use a thinner Hurst shifter handle. Oh, don't forget to set the positive stops. Unlike the GT's 3650 transmission, the T5 does not have positive stops, and is a main cause of failure of these transmissions. Here's a picture from inside:

After the shifter and shift rod were all physically bolted up and positive stops set, I took a razor blade to the rubber boot bottom to allow for clearance of everything:

Here's the boot installed. Like I mentioned, this was too cozy with the console on the left side, and preventing easy 1-2 engagements. So I put in a thinner Hurst handle and that gave the extra clearance I need.

Now I'm missing the most important pictures of all - the final deal with the Hurst handle installed. I'll get them soon and edit the post. I can say that there is a HUGE difference in this shifter, first in that the shift knob is at least 3 to 4 inches further back toward me now. And closer to the left. Very comfortable. And that stock rubber sensation is gone, replaced by smooth, easy, clean engagement. Best thing is that this was done using a shifter that "isn't supposed to fit" in my car. I bolted it up and modified NOTHING.

Happy shifting!

Thanks,
Kevin

Last edited:

moostang09

Resident YouTube Guy
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Congrats man! Way to get creative and problem solve! Looks like a great option for the 4.0 v6 guys! Thanks for all the details and pics!

Anticipating the final product!

Lightningtruck

S197 Newb
Reaction score
Thanks. I got the camera out tonight and took some more pics. Here goes.

First gear

First gear, measures a bit over 6" from the radio face. Big time improvement...

Second Gear

Second Gear, measures a bit over 10" from the radio face. 4" throw. Note: We can shorten up the throw some by moving the shifter handle down on the lower two bolt holes on the Pro 5.0.

Another view of second gear:

Third Gear:

Another view of third gear:

Fourth gear:

5th Gear:

Hope that helps!

timberwolffxdl

Reaction score
I know this is an older thread, but searching the word "shifter" here doesn't bring up a ton of recent results.

I'm fighting mine going from idling in neutral (like at a stop light) to getting into first. Sometimes I can pull into second and then push into first, but not reliably.

I don't know if it's a shifter issue or something else. Either way, it's frustrating.

Did the 5.0 improve shift feel? Besides the positive stops, does it help in any other way?

Synyster06Gates

forum member
Reaction score
I know this is an older thread, but searching the word "shifter" here doesn't bring up a ton of recent results.

I'm fighting mine going from idling in neutral (like at a stop light) to getting into first. Sometimes I can pull into second and then push into first, but not reliably.

I don't know if it's a shifter issue or something else. Either way, it's frustrating.

Did the 5.0 improve shift feel? Besides the positive stops, does it help in any other way?

I had the T5/45 in my 96 and 99 Cobra as well as my 00 V6. All of them had a similar problem. I found that throwing it into 5th before trying to put it in 1st would help greatly. Either that or putting it in neutral, lifting off the clutch, pushing back down then go into 1st.

Speedboosted

Found missing cylinders
Reaction score
It's just T5 problems that you're having. I did the Ford Racing short throw along with Amsoil ATF and it's awesome. Way more crisp, direct, yet smoother as well than the stock one. Shifting is so much better now

JeremyH

3V Fuel Guru
S197 Team Member
Reaction score

It's a great shifter for the money. First shifter I has and liked it a lot, very positive feel, and stiffer bushings and a tad shorter throw.

Your issue with the t5 will get worse as the slave cylinder starts going out, also better fluid will help like mentioned.

Also I would remove the shift stop bolts. These linkage trans have internal stops inside the plate where the linkage arm enters the trans. Those bolts at the shifter can drift over time with vibrations and can keep you from fully hitting a gear and damaging the trans. I would remove them so you don't have an issue.

Last edited:

Lightningtruck

S197 Newb
Reaction score

Sorry for the slow reply. Haven't had a chance to get on here much lately.

It does really help feel. More positive in every direction. Actually feels like the shifter is hooked to the tranny instead of all rubbery.

Kevin

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back