Radio replacement

07gts197

forum member
Reaction score
Yesterday I plugged my phone in and started playing music and I was greeted to a loud gurgling sound coming from my drivers side front speaker/door sub. I turned on the radio to rear seats and all was good. Today I turned it back to all seats and all was good again. The day before yesterday it poured so Im thinking maybe the sjb got wet. Anyway Im starting to plan on replacing the stock head unit but Id like to keep the sub, its a shaker 1000 by the way. Is there any way of replacing the stock head unit with an aftermarket head unit and keeping the stock door and trunk subs? I know most people bypass the stock amps and go full aftermarket but I dont want to spend all the time and money on a complete new audio system.

Thanks for any info.

redfirepearlgt

forum member
Reaction score
crutchfield.com is the perfect source to go to for this type of thing. They also still take phone calls.

07gts197

forum member
Reaction score
Ill try calling them on monday thanks for the suggestion.

I took the trim piece off thats in front of the sjb and pulled back the carpet. Sure enough the floor is wet so Im sure the sjb is getting wet. What was the “fix” Ford performed? Theres a piece of some sort of material, sort of like that soft 2 sided tape, that sort of goes over it but its ripped. If thats the fix thats pathetic.

redfirepearlgt

forum member
Reaction score
I never had an issue with this on my 2005. I do remember that initially it was thought to be water intrusion past the grommet where the antenna enters the cabin right above the SJB as memory serves. But since then the bigger issue has been a drain plug somewhere on the cowl that gets clogged as I vaguely recall. I'm certain if you search the site or BING wet SJB fix the answer will present itself. Sorry i can't remember better. That was three mustangs ago.

ox white

forum member
Reaction score
Theres a piece of some sort of material, sort of like that soft 2 sided tape, that sort of goes over it but its ripped. If thats the fix thats pathetic.

If you're talking about the little piece of tape that forms sort of a "roof" over the SJB, that is stock. Ford knew the car would leak and that's all they did about it.

07gts197

forum member
Reaction score
I never had an issue with this on my 2005. I do remember that initially it was thought to be water intrusion past the grommet where the antenna enters the cabin right above the SJB as memory serves. But since then the bigger issue has been a drain plug somewhere on the cowl that gets clogged as I vaguely recall. I'm certain if you search the site or BING wet SJB fix the answer will present itself. Sorry i can't remember better. That was three mustangs ago.

Youre right. I clean them religiously because they have clogged before and backed up water into the cabin but it comes in through the ac cabin filter. There is another leak around the fender where the sjb sits. There used to be a thread on here showing the locations of all the drains but I cant find it anymore. Ill do some more digging.

If you're talking about the little piece of tape that forms sort of a "roof" over the SJB, that is stock. Ford knew the car would leak and that's all they did about it.

Yes thats exactly what Im talking about. So how do I know if the tsb for water leaking around the sjb has been done? My local Ford dealer is trash so calling them is out of the question. Do you know what Ford did?

AnotherS197GT

Serial Valve Dropper
Reaction score
If you send me your VIN, I can run an OASIS report and see if the TSB shows up in the warranty history.

Here is the water leak TSB: http://www.stangpit.com/wp-content/images/docs/s197-tsb/08-26-07.pdf

I performed this myself and replaced all the windshield grommets and window trim seals. Been dry as a bone ever since. I would suggest also removing the big firewall drain plugs. They just get filled with crap and you'll have to keep cleaning them out.

Forty61

forum member
Reaction score
I second Crutchfield. I recently replaced my Shaker 500 headunit using a double-din that I ordered on their site, it will tell you when you go to order it what else you will need for install and offers to add it all to your cart with your order so you don’t have to go chase stuff down local. My stuff all showed up together with everything to keep my factory amp/subs and it sounds better than the Shaker did, worth the upgrade for sure!

07gts197

forum member
Reaction score
If you send me your VIN, I can run an OASIS report and see if the TSB shows up in the warranty history.

Here is the water leak TSB: http://www.stangpit.com/wp-content/images/docs/s197-tsb/08-26-07.pdf

I performed this myself and replaced all the windshield grommets and window trim seals. Been dry as a bone ever since. I would suggest also removing the big firewall drain plugs. They just get filled with crap and you'll have to keep cleaning them out.

Thanks thats exactly what I was looking for! Ill pm you asap thanks.

I second Crutchfield. I recently replaced my Shaker 500 headunit using a double-din that I ordered on their site, it will tell you when you go to order it what else you will need for install and offers to add it all to your cart with your order so you don’t have to go chase stuff down local. My stuff all showed up together with everything to keep my factory amp/subs and it sounds better than the Shaker did, worth the upgrade for sure!

Thats good to know. My thing is that the car came with decent speakers and subs and Id like to keep them, otherwise Id have to replace (more money) or delete them (going backwards imo). Id like to keep full functionality of everything if I can. Im not set on a head unit just yet though. It seems like its working good again so for now Im putting this off. The sjb is still getting wet and affecting the radio, though its funny thats all its affecting. Although I did notice the other day one of my foglights stopped working but I havent checked the bulb yet so it could just be the bulb.

07gts197

forum member
Reaction score
Thanks to all the rain I think Ive narrowed it down. Its leaking all the way up top past the insulation. I see there is one drain up top over the ac plenum, Im guessing thats where its coming from but there is no way of getting to it without removing the ac box or the dash. Ill have to tear this thing apart again, ugh. At least Ive narrowed it down. And there was water on the antenna wire and on top of the sjb.

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back