Rear End Axel Help

RyanPreece40

Reaction score
so I changed my calipers on the rear to 4 piston calipers and had to pull the axels to do it.

I torqued everything back to spec, and replaced the grease O-Rings next to the C-Clips.

Now I have a bad clunk/metal on metal noise when I went for a test drive when turning right. As if the axel on the Right side is getting movement?

Any help would be great. Thank you.

Last edited:

Juice

forum member
Reaction score
Check axle endplay.

Grease orings next to the C clips? On the end of the axles by the splines? Those are only there to help in assembly at the factory. They can be thrown away.

Bart23Sept

Reaction score
I'm not an expert on your situation but were there any spacers in the assembly of the axle or caliper that didn't get put back in? Most of the time weird sounds are interference related and that's sometimes a spacer or shim that is extra or missing. I could be completely wrong, haven't had my brakes apart yet but didn't see any other suggestions

5lho

forum member
Reaction score
If noise is being made on turns, I'd be looking at your differential, after I'd eliminated the last thing you touched, like the caliper mounting brackets and bolts. Did you add friction modifier to the gear oil?

redfirepearlgt

forum member
Reaction score
If noise is being made on turns, I'd be looking at your differential, after I'd eliminated the last thing you touched, like the caliper mounting brackets and bolts.

This. If all you did was remove the opinion shaft (and pinion lock obviously) and pulled the c-clips one side at a time to give enough room for access on your upgrade, the only thing aside from issues with the upgrade (whatever they may be) could be a possible c-clip popping off because it was not reinstalled correctly or it was damaged in some way. It happens to the best of them.

There is enough pressure in the shim/spacer stack between the differential case and the axle housing on each side that those items should not have fallen out. You would have also noticed this when reassembling each axle as you would/should have experienced clearance/alignment issues when the axle slid back in.

As mentioned internal axle slop causing the problem will be found tugging on the axle hub and feeling massive amount of slop.

RyanPreece40

Reaction score
C clips are still installed and in place. I will check the axle play tomorrow afternoon and check back

thank you for all the replys

RocketcarX

95% of my weight is fuel
Reaction score
C clips are still installed and in place. I will check the axle play tomorrow afternoon and check back

thank you for all the replys
You should have been able to check axle play when you put your eyes on those C clips...

RyanPreece40

Reaction score
I figured out what the problem was. Stupid mistake. C clip wasn’t in correct. All set.

Latest posts

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back