Reputable Used Engine Dealer

RocketcarX

95% of my weight is fuel
Reaction score
LKQ is a nationwide retailer, you can probably drive to one and save the shipping cost. They are the go to place for insurance quality used parts. A preferred vendor so to speak. They also tend to be one of the more expensive on ebay, if it's a common enough engine I price shop and research more, save some money. I have been burned on 2 different 4.0 Ford SOHC engines on eBay, in the end I got my money back, I doubt you have the issues I did though, those 4.0 engines are junk, I looked at 5 of them in Houston before deciding to order from eBay. Every other engine I've purchased there has been a painless experience.

In Houston a Mustang 3v is gonna run you anywhere from $600-1200, the price in your auction isn't bad considering the mileage and warranty. That's the other kick, most places are only 30 days.

05stroker

Never enough power guy!
Reaction score
Both mine and my kids 6r80 Transmissions came from LKQ. If you have them transfer it to a location near you and you go pick it up it will save you the shipping.

86GT351

forum member
Reaction score
LKQ is very reputable. They will generally have multiple options available depending on mileage when the engine was pulled.

Juice

forum member
Reaction score
I just got a 2013 instrument cluster from LKQ, no issues and is in great shape cosmetically.

I got my 'Yote from BLAUTO614. No complaints what-so-ever.

I would recommend staying away from the seller "The Partsfarm". He will only accept "paypal gift", wire transfer, or certified check. Told me I will not find ANYONE who would accept a CC as payment for the engine. Really? (major red flag) And I'm not about to GIFT anybody payment for a product or service.

testcase448

Reaction score
I use LKQ a lot at work around the country. No problems so far. maybe 200 purchases?
I got my dad a 4l60e for his Blazer and the oldest girl a Nissan 3.5...

slackinoff

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Ok, exciting times. going to pull the trigger on an LKQ on ebay....are there any differences between the 08 to 09 motors? wiring? Computer? I have noticed their prices fluctuate nearly 500 buck for no reason? See exampled. Same price. One is newer and how lower mileage, one is older and has more mileage.....same price?

https://www.ebay.com/itm/2009-Ford-...188-/312021017909?vxp=mtr&hash=item48a5e6e535

https://www.ebay.com/itm/2008-Ford-Mustang-4-6L-Engine-Motor-8cyl-OEM-97K-Miles-LKQ-147973247-/362174937168?vxp=mtr&hash=item54534ef850

skwerl

tree hugger
Reaction score
Just a long block or does it include accessories? My '09 Bullitt and other late 09-10 motors have the better alternator and better intake manifold. Blocks and heads will be the same.

RocketcarX

95% of my weight is fuel
Reaction score
They changed the spark plug design in mid 08, so the 09 is the updated head design, the 08 is a gamble. I have the old design in my 08, it's never been a problem, bit I changed the 2 piece factory plugs out at 70K miles.

slackinoff

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the replies. My 08 Bullitt had the updated heads. I will go for the 09 -10

Sent from my LG-H910 using Tapatalk

drive_55_not

forum member
Reaction score
I am guessing the $$$$ engines are just flat out cleaner?

Salvage yard motor pricing is set more by how long they've had the unit, If it's a fresh kill it'll be priced higher than one they've been sitting on a while.

I don't know if LKQ pulls the motors or leaves them in the car till they sell it , but how long the motor's been sitting is something to be concerned about, the longer it's been sitting the greater the chance the cylinder walls will have rust on them and and if's been sitting outside for years it'll likely have water in it ...

slackinoff

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Salvage yard motor pricing is set more by how long they've had the unit, If it's a fresh kill it'll be priced higher than one they've been sitting on a while.

I don't know if LKQ pulls the motors or leaves them in the car till they sell it , but how long the motor's been sitting is something to be concerned about, the longer it's been sitting the greater the chance the cylinder walls will have rust on them and and if's been sitting outside for years it'll likely have water in it ...

Great point. From the looks of it. LKQ pulls em and warehouses them....but still.....if I get a 09 or 10 even in a warehouse it could have rust....I will call Lkq and see how long the particular motor I want has been sitting. Fresh junkyard pull is probably the best though. At least you know for sure. Thanks for the tips.....that is awesome info that didn't even occur to me.

Rm

Sent from my LG-H910 using Tapatalk

slackinoff

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Just a long block or does it include accessories? My '09 Bullitt and other late 09-10 motors have the better alternator and better intake manifold. Blocks and heads will be the same.

Good question to ask. My 08 Bullitt had the revised heads. Is rather just get an 09-10

46addict

Reaction score
I am curious what was different about the 09 intake manifolds? Was it a Bullitt specific manifold?

eighty6gt

forum member
Reaction score
The cylinders aren't going to rust.

I'm happy to see all these great used engines for not much $!!

slackinoff

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
FYI guys - call LKQ direct, they will wheel and deal with you vs ebay. I have a 2010 engine with 87k miles on its way for $1,566. Only been out of the car for 34 days and stored in a warehouse.

Unfortunately they do charge a core though.....not that I care. The heads on my engine are complete fucked. They get u the core charge back to you in 7 days. Guy said core condition is very lenient, he said not to to worry about my heads.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-T377A using Tapatalk

Latest posts

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back