Return of the svo mustang!!

yellowjohn1

forum member
Reaction score
Not really a fan of the old SVO's. I'm just not a fan of an american muscle car adorning anything other than a V8. That said, if they went with a turbo 8 for a future Cobra or revive the Boss label, Cobra R, etc with that I would be really happy. The twin turbo 6 is a really good engine, I will say that.

MOTORCITYBADBOY

forum member
Reaction score
SVO (Special Vehicle Operations) doesn't exist anymore. It was the predecessor to SVT (Special Vehicle Team).

I had an 87 Turbo Coupe T-bird. It was a great car, but it was too light in the front end at speeds over 75 mph. Basically the same engine as the SVO Mustang.

Last edited:

JerryC

Reaction score
SVO (Special Vehicle Operations) doesn't exist anymore. It was the predecessor to SVT (Special Vehicle Team).

I had an 87 Turbo Coupe T-bird. It was a great car, but it was too light in the front end at speeds over 75 mph. Basically the same engine as the SVO Mustang.

The Turbo Coupe is the one car I regret letting go. I traded it in for a Super Coupe and that was a mistake.

MOTORCITYBADBOY

forum member
Reaction score
The Turbo Coupe is the one car I regret letting go. I traded it in for a Super Coupe and that was a mistake.

I sold mine and got a Supercoupe. The SC was a fantastic car. Far more stable at high speeds. I let it go when I bought my first new Mustang in 03.

I'd love to get a SC and put an aluminum 32v sc Cobra motor w/6spd in it.!!! Although it was a great car, Ford missed the boat by under-delivering on the Supercoupe.

RedMosesSC

Reaction score
I sold mine and got a Supercoupe. The SC was a fantastic car. Far more stable at high speeds. I let it go when I bought my first new Mustang in 03. QUOTE]

I had a 93 Supercoupe for 7 years! Loved that car, so comfy and great torque but when one thing was fixed another thing broke.

DKS

Wax on, Wax off.
Reaction score
I had an 88 Turbo Coupe. I loved it. I made a lot of money with that car racing V8s.

Did you guys read the IRS/LRA BS in the comments, though???

TurboPete

forum member
Reaction score
My 1st car in High School was a Mustang SVO Black with grey interior .
It was a surprise gift from my folks , I got it in November of 1983 had the 1st one in Miami . I loved the car and of course all the attension I got because of it . The car got stolen while my Dad was at the mall picking up supplies for a trip we were leaving on the next morning to Bimini. The Police at the time were trying to catch a local car theft ring, which had stolen 10 cars all in the same day at the same parking lot . I couldn't believe it .

Pete

MyFordsFly

forum member
Reaction score
I liked the old SVOs. The idea of a car that was purpose built for track days especially back in the 80s was just cool. But in the end I liked the 87-93 Notchs better so I put the SVO drivetrain in one of those instead.

000_0264.jpg

I think if Ford wants to revive the SVO or at least in spirit why not.

HEMI LOL

The Feast and The Famine
Reaction score
I liked the old SVOs. The idea of a car that was purpose built for track days especially back in the 80s was just cool. But in the end I liked the 87-93 Notchs better so I put the SVO drivetrain in one of those instead.

000_0264.jpg

I think if Ford wants to revive the SVO or at least in spirit why not.
oh good god, that car is hot.

FlyByNight

Banned
Reaction score
She is nice :thumb: Ran an SVO back when they first came out (guy wouldn't leave me alone). Very surprised the guy could hang with my 400 4 spd Formula, thought for sure it would be a waste of gas. I got him by a half car only because I had the jump.

Reaction score
Those turbo'd 2.3's are no joke with top end work, I have one in my 71 Pinto, over 400 whp with a bone stock bottom end, in a 2,000lb car..

MyFordsFly

forum member
Reaction score
Thanks Hemi and FlyByNight. I miss that car dearly.

FlyByNight, your story reminded me of a time back when I had my Merkur. Me and a buddy were out cruising around and we rolled up next to this 67-8 Mustang coupe. My buddy asked them if they wanted to race and they asked what my car had in it. Told them it was a 2.3 and the guy said "Ive already got ya beat". It didnt take long for him to figure out he didnt.

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back