Returning to stock - couple questions

joe_momma

forum member
Reaction score
So I'm possibly going to trade the Mustang in on a truck in the next few days...I want to keep my tuner (SCT X3) when I do, so I'm planning to flash back to the stock tune. I'll remove my JLT CAI and put the stock airbox back on, but my question concerns the cats - I have Pypes cat-delete legs in place. Will the car run "OK" without the cats on the stock tune? I know at minimum I'd get a MIL, but could I drive it an hour away to the dealership?

I plan to throw the cats in the trunk with the rest of the stock parts and let them have at it as they wish. Alternatively, I could try to get a shop and have them put the cats back on, although I'd rather not have to do my de-mod in steps.

46addict

Reaction score
So the JLT intake is the only tune required mod you have? Is it on stock exhaust manifolds and stock everything else? If so it will be fine to go catless on the stock tune. I would not even bother giving the dealer the stock cats. Sell it for platinum. The dealer will most likely sell the car to an auction house or do the minimum to get the car emissions legal if testing is required in your state.

RocketcarX

95% of my weight is fuel
Reaction score
you could put non fouler on the rear oxygen sensors and fool the computer

tjm73

of Omicron Persei 8
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
They might not take it without the cat son it. I woudln't if I was a dealer.

redfirepearlgt

forum member
Reaction score
So I'm possibly going to trade the Mustang in on a truck in the next few days...I want to keep my tuner (SCT X3) when I do, so I'm planning to flash back to the stock tune. I'll remove my JLT CAI and put the stock airbox back on, but my question concerns the cats - I have Pypes cat-delete legs in place. Will the car run "OK" without the cats on the stock tune? I know at minimum I'd get a MIL, but could I drive it an hour away to the dealership?

I plan to throw the cats in the trunk with the rest of the stock parts and let them have at it as they wish. Alternatively, I could try to get a shop and have them put the cats back on, although I'd rather not have to do my de-mod in steps.

It should drive a bit rich possibly but run okay. I experienced a rear O2 lean on one bank due to a small exhaust leak some years back with cats on the car. It flagged a CEL but drove fine.

A friend of mine runs his on the stock tune with a delete setup. Runs rich but has no drive issues. Been that way for several years. Not my idea of the best thing to do but that's my 2 cents.

As or trading in, on my 05 I had to provide a pair of cats with the car at trade in with the OR on it. This was in 2012 so things may have changed AND that may also vary from dealer to dealer. Best bet would be to put the cats back on.

joe_momma

forum member
Reaction score
Looks like I won't have an opportunity to get the cats welded back in before I visit the dealer. I'm just going to throw them in the trunk. My county doesn't require emissions testing, but the one where the dealer is does. Hopefully it's a non-issue. If they balk at it, I'll go home lol.

Thanks for the feedback guys.

46addict

Reaction score
The tampering of cats thing is a federal law, so technically it should not matter what state or locality you are in. With that said I have tried to sell my car to a Dodge dealership with longtubes and no cats on the car, in an emissions testing county, and they were ready for me to sign the car over after making their offer. The only reason I backed out is because their offer was too low.

So yes, this varies depending on the dealer. This dealer did not look under the car to check for exhaust mods, and did not question the exhaust stench while the car was idling.

joe_momma

forum member
Reaction score
The tampering of cats thing is a federal law, so technically it should not matter what state or locality you are in. With that said I have tried to sell my car to a Dodge dealership with longtubes and no cats on the car, in an emissions testing county, and they were ready for me to sign the car over after making their offer. The only reason I backed out is because their offer was too low.

So yes, this varies depending on the dealer. This dealer did not look under the car to check for exhaust mods, and did not question the exhaust stench while the car was idling.

Good point. The sales guy is younger so he may not know to even check for something like that.

redfirepearlgt

forum member
Reaction score
Good point. The sales guy is younger so he may not know to even check for something like that.

Just so you are aware, you can also be held liable. I just spoke to a guy recently on trading my 14 (catless but have the original midpipe) and he said they would take it in trade only because I have the midpipe to put back on it. However, he went on to say the feds can nail not only the dealer but the seller as well if the car is sold without the cats. Don't know the legal details, but rely on thinking you can just slide by on it. Protect yourself back side. Make sure the dealer is okay with this and that this is acceptable practice. It may be about as risky as dubbing an album on to cassette (an 80's reference to pirating) on getting caught, but just be sure. I would not try to let it slide hoping the sales rep is young and misses it.

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back