Rival-S and RE71s on track?

El_Tortuga

forum member
Reaction score
Anybody running them? What is their wear rate like on track? I'm considering them for my autox/DE tires, but not wanting to double my yearly tire bill.

Obviously they are the tires to have in 200TW autocross, but haven't heard much about track wear. I checked with a few guys in the last couple of DEs on lighter cars who loved the tires grip, but the wear rate as described was dramatically worse than the Zii starspecs I'm currently on. I'd assume that a heavier/more powerful mustang would be that much worse.

I'm not particularly kind nor killer to my gear, I got 23 days on my rivals, and next event will be #20 on my Ziis. Rivals were about 2/3 Autocross, while the Ziis are 50/50 AutoX/DE and driving to/from. I was a little late in flipping them on the rims and its probably going to cost me some usage.

csamsh

forum member
Reaction score
Looks like 1/3 of the Rival days were track, 2/3 autocross

dontlifttoshift

forum member
Reaction score
Lol, #comprehenshunprahblemz

I read days as track days because I measure autocross in runs.

I don't think you will get that life out of the Rival S or RE71r.

We 2 driver the car everywhere we go and went through 3 sets of Re71s. That's 4, 2 driver trackdays and approximately 250 autox runs. I haven't used any of those tires to the last drop and have enough tires for another 50 autox runs.....I think.

El_Tortuga

forum member
Reaction score
Lol, #comprehenshunprahblemz

I read days as track days because I measure autocross in runs.

I don't think you will get that life out of the Rival S or RE71r.

We 2 driver the car everywhere we go and went through 3 sets of Re71s. That's 4, 2 driver trackdays and approximately 250 autox runs. I haven't used any of those tires to the last drop and have enough tires for another 50 autox runs.....I think.

Thanks. That is quite a bit more wear.

I read your RE71R experience as roughly 2.5ish track days and 100 autocross runs per set. Rivals had 280 track laps (7 days) and 141 autocross runs. Had usable tread except outside shoulder was thin and some tread separation and slowed down. Ziis have had 381 track laps (10 days) and 67 autocross runs so far. Not exactly a fair comparison however, I'm definitely working the tires harder on track nowadays, but my autocross style is not tire abusive and I haven't spun the car on the Ziis (so far).

Decisions. Decisions. Hoping to keep the mix trending to more track days so the smarter move would be to stay durable as a set of tires is roughly the cost of 4-6 days on track. Sucks knowing that doing so would give up being competitive for autocross. Ugh. Tire war$.

Last edited:

duststang

forum member
Reaction score
Its only money right got to pay to play? I wish tires were not so expensive, I don't know how people afford drifting.

Pentalab

forum member
Reaction score
Its only money right got to pay to play? I wish tires were not so expensive, I don't know how people afford drifting.

I believe they obtain used tires...then trash what's left of them. They can get the used tires for nothing at any tire shop. They are just gonna get tossed anyway.

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back