S550 Hood Clearance.

QuickShift281

forum member
Reaction score
So some quick background.

My father has a Ruby Red S550 GT. Makes ~ 410HP with a JLT and a tune. He loves the car to death.

With that being said, he picked up a FRPP Boss IM and a axle back. However, he was doing some looking has seen a few people saying the Boss IM is questionable in the hood clearance department.

Anyone have any experience? I know AM used the Boss IM on their 15' and from what I can tell, ran a stock hood. Im under the impression that if the 2.9L Whipple units clear the hood, the Boss Manifold should with no problem.

Input is appreciated.

Grabber Blue 5.0

forum member
Reaction score
He will need to lower the engine or do some cutting of the stock hood for it to fit. He should look into the GT350 intake manifold instead.

Grabber5.sl0w

forum member
Reaction score
He will need to lower the engine or do some cutting of the stock hood for it to fit. He should look into the GT350 intake manifold instead.

Grabber speaks the truth here. Lower engine mounts, or cut the stock hood.

The GT350 manifold and TB have proved to show better gains with no TQ loss anyway. For the price of the CJ you are only spending a bout a few hundred more for the 350. Although personally the 350 doesn't look nearly as good under the hood as the Boss and CJ did.

This is the cheapest you will probably find the 350 Manifold w/ TB. You can also contact them for a free shipping code.
http://www.levittownfordsupercenter...g-gt350-intake-87mm-throttle-body-p-4650.html

QuickShift281

forum member
Reaction score
Thanks for the input gentlemen. I will talk with him and see what route he wants to go. Chances are I will be putting some lower mounts on it.

QuickShift281

forum member
Reaction score
Check out the BMR mounts if you choose to go with the lowered mount set up. In the standard configuration they are able to drop the engine .5". If you end up needing more, Kelly or myself can work with you to get some more drop out of the mounts.

http://www.bmrsuspension.com/?page=products&productid=1595

Do you guys have any idea on how much drop is needed for the Boss? The BMR mounts is probably the way we will go.

I will talk to my father and get ahold of Kelly.

Pentalab

forum member
Reaction score
http://www.steeda.com/steeda-adjustable-heavy-duty-s550-mustang-engine-mounts-2015-gt-555-4039/ These are the real deal. They will also allow for either stock eng height.....or 1/4 - 1/2 - 3/4" end drop.

I used their 05-10 version on my 2010. The eng won't flop about like oem. BUT, I also installed JBA LT's. JBA suggested installed new steeda eng mounts at the same time. I had to be careful though. Lower the eng too much, and the last LT primary tube will get too close to the steering shaft, but this is on a 05-10 car.

I wanted the rigidity. However we used the 1/4" drop option, which allowed a tiny bit more clearance between the steeda STB and roush CAI on my small roush blower.

Grabber5.sl0w

forum member
Reaction score
^^ +1 for Steeda. Most of the people I've talked to who dropped their engine for the CJ/Boss have used the Steeda Mounts. I have a coupon for them as well, just PM me if you need it.

Pentalab

forum member
Reaction score
^^ +1 for Steeda. Most of the people I've talked to who dropped their engine for the CJ/Boss have used the Steeda Mounts. I have a coupon for them as well, just PM me if you need it.

If u go to the link, they come with both the red + black bushings. The black ones have a slightly higher durometer. On the 05-10 version, they come with 4 x red bushings and 2 x black ones. For higher hp use, one red + one black are used for each mount. On the GT-500 versions, they come with 4 x black bushings.

I used one red and one black bushing for each mount on my 2010. I can barely notice a tiny bit more nvh..and that is only between 600 rpm idle..and 750 rpm. Now that I have increased the idle to 750 rpm.... no nvh at all. It's a non issue to begin with, when using any combo for the steeda bushings.

Put another way, if you had a shaker hood, it sure as heck won't shake with the steeda eng mounts. The eng won't flop back and forth..and neither will the tranny bolted to the eng. The front end feels more solidified.

The steeda version for the S550 15/16 cars also comes with 4 x red and 2 x black bushings. I'd suggest using one red and one black per assy.

Being able to leave the eng height the same as oem.... or lowering the eng by 1/4 - 1/2 - 3/4" is an easy way to lower the CG of the car's front end. That's in addition to any lowering via front springs.

Last edited:

Zodiac

forum member
Reaction score
Grabber speaks the truth here. Lower engine mounts, or cut the stock hood.

The GT350 manifold and TB have proved to show better gains with no TQ loss anyway. For the price of the CJ you are only spending a bout a few hundred more for the 350. Although personally the 350 doesn't look nearly as good under the hood as the Boss and CJ did.

This is the cheapest you will probably find the 350 Manifold w/ TB. You can also contact them for a free shipping code.
http://www.levittownfordsupercenter...g-gt350-intake-87mm-throttle-body-p-4650.html

http://www.teamjdm.com/gt350-intake-manifold-and-throttle-body-package/

Better deal here, and they also offer the boot and clamps for another $20 to attach I believe stock intake and some aftermarket CAI's.

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back