Saleen S/C's and High Air Inlet Temps

DiMora

More Is Better
Reaction score
The fitting you're looking at is an additional bung I had Canton add to the tank. The coolant temp sensor you see is a normally open switch that senses I/C coolant temp and closes to turn on (2) 5.2" Spal fans on the Afco H/E. There's no need for them to run when the temp is below a certain temp.

Yes the tank is a custom tank, but it is only custom because of that additional bung I requested. The I/C reservoir is basically just a 80-237ND reservoir with the additional bung.

If I were to purchase this reservoir (or any other reservoir) again, I would request the outlet fitting to the I/C pump to be moved from the rear of the tank (next to the firewall) to the front of the tank. This relocation would provide additional clearance for the Performance Automatic pan's dipstick tube and JDM transmission catch can.

Here's a better picture of the outlet fitting to dipstick tube clearance issue I just mentioned. You'll also notice I replaced the black reservoir cap with a red reservoir cap - just my preference. This picture also shows the previously mention I/C coolant temp sensor.

If you are planning on ordering a custom tank, it really isn't that much more expensive and you can get the tank configured the way you want it - just ask for Brandon in Sales @ Canton.
100_1714.jpg

Concerning the I/C pump - it is mounted in the same location as originally per Saleen, right in front of the W/W reservoir. The reason the location may look odd is because I have a GT 500 fascia.

EXCELLENT information...thanks much! :clap:

Barricade

Decepticon Extraordinaire
Reaction score
Mine havent gone over 100 since I added the AFCO Heat Exchanger and dropped in the JPC Intercooler tank.

Woo Hoooo!!!

Im tickled pink!

2011-10-29152015.jpg

RedMosesSC

Reaction score
Ive had this tank in for a few events already, last week i was running the 1/4 mile and i put a bunch of ice in the tank and it kept me cool for several runs.

@ JPC With the winter around the corner, i have to drain the mix and put fresh anti freeze in the tank, do you guys just dump everything out of the drain or do you connect a tube for draining?

tommygodfrey

JPC Sales & Tech
Reaction score
Ive had this tank in for a few events already, last week i was running the 1/4 mile and i put a bunch of ice in the tank and it kept me cool for several runs.

@ JPC With the winter around the corner, i have to drain the mix and put fresh anti freeze in the tank, do you guys just dump everything out of the drain or do you connect a tube for draining?

I would just drop it down about 3/4 empty and fill with antifreeze and it will be more than fine

RedMosesSC

Reaction score
I guess my questions are:

A. Is there a drain at the bottom of the tank? I believe ive seen one but ive never tried using it.

B. If that is a drain, do you guys just let is drain into the engine bay or do you hook up a hose to it?(what size?) to keep from getting too messy. How do you guys purge the tank at the track to refill with ice?

tommygodfrey

JPC Sales & Tech
Reaction score
I guess my questions are:

A. Is there a drain at the bottom of the tank? I believe ive seen one but ive never tried using it.
Yes that is a drain in the bottom front.

B. If that is a drain, do you guys just let is drain into the engine bay or do you hook up a hose to it?(what size?) to keep from getting too messy. How do you guys purge the tank at the track to refill with ice?

It's a petcock drain. If I remember it will drain in an open area so you could put a drain pan under the car ect. At the track same thing, drain it down leaving some in the bottom and fill with ice. If you can put a switch inline of the intercooler pump or jump the relay you should be able to circulate it without running the car and you can repeat the process until its all cooled down

RedMosesSC

Reaction score
Thanks Tommy, hopefully the drain doesnt make a mess in the engine bay, ill let you know. I do have a switch for the IC pump.

Saleen304

forum member
Reaction score
Sorry for reviving an old thread. I read on Cantons website that their 80-237D tank is designed exclusively for drag race applications where run time is short and no significant heat or pressure is created. The tank’s cap is designed large for filling with ice and is not designed to release system pressure, only a vacuum release vent is present. When used for long times building system pressure will fatigue tank and may cause seal leakage or failure. Anyone have any experience with street version? I road race, drag race, and drive on the street so this is important to me.

07 Boss

Reaction score
You're never gonna build up that much pressure. If you're intercooler coolant is getting that hot you have other issues.

Saleen304

forum member
Reaction score
You're never gonna build up that much pressure. If you're intercooler coolant is getting that hot you have other issues.

Good point. I didn’t think it was an issue, but OEMs always put pressure caps on their tanks and then I read the warning from Canton. Just wanted to make sure.

Latest posts

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back