School me on drag tire/wheel setups

Discussion in 'Drag Racing Tech Discussion & Timeslips' started by 46addict, Nov 16, 2016.

1. skaarlaj

skaarlaj Probie Former Pink Bus Rider

28" for me

2. stkjock

stkjock ---- Madmin ---- Staff Member

asking tire diameter in a vacuum is a silly endeavor IMHO

3. fdjizm

fdjizm Drag Queen

I've been using those for 2 years on my front 15x4's, no issues.
    I run JegStars with a 3/8 spacer and had to shave my caliper a bit.

4. jam07GT

jam07GT forum member

x2

Right on. Race Star 15x10, 7.25 bs. Like said above, you need to have the sway bar relocation bracket, or a BMR sway bar, which is what I have. Stock brakes. Just have to cut the "tabs" off the stock mounting point. I have same wheel, 15x3.75, 1.5 bs fronts. I have the MT front tires, the ridiculously expensive ones (Sportsman SR, 28x6). I really wanted a 28" front that was also a radial tire.

For rears, 275-60-15 MT drag radial SS. About 28" tall. I have 4.10s/auto. I have run the major drag radials (NITTO, BFG) over the years and the MT are by far the best traction for the track, imo. I run them at 22 PSI racing. Just haze them for the burnout.

5. lindertw

lindertw forum member

bias ply rear tire will be more forgiving with your manual trans, but it's your money...

I have M/T et street bias ply tires, 26" diameter (low power n/a car with 4.56 gears) on 15x8 weld rts wheels - no spacers, no grinding, mcgard lug nuts. The tires are have been discontinued by M/T, but Hoosier QTP are similar and folks run them with great results. When mine wear out I'll go with a full slick.

With the right suspension setup and tire you can launch hard and get the most ET out of the car. Good luck!

6. jam07GT

jam07GT forum member

I totally agree on this. That's why I bought an auto car. I wanted to run drag radials and drive it to the track. I tried every drag radial on my 4 speed Chevelle and nothing worked. Every once in a while I would get a clean pass in, but very rare, and I had a two step, etc. Bias ply for stick cars is the way to go.

7. 46addict

46addict 13726548

Did you run inner tubes with those bias plys? I see some people on the forums running without tubes, and some people do.

8. lindertw

lindertw forum member

no tubes on my setup. I ran 15psi cold at the track, and 25psi when driving around town.

I had them mounted with permatex high tack to keep them in place on the rim

9. djniknala

djniknala forum member

I did the same(using high tack) on 15" dark stars with Hoosier stiff sidewalk slick at 14psi cold with no tubes. I marked the rim and tires and they never spun in relation to each other. I had 50 plus launches on these with over 20 being at 7k rpm in a '12 GT NA 5.0. All but 3 of those launches were 1.46-1.49.

10. casper gt

casper gt forum member

Its always best to check the rules at the tracks you run at before you decide on the tube/no tube thing.

Some tracks don't care (actually most) if you have tubes or not but some will not let you run a tube type tire with no tube.

Just an FYI thing.

11. 46addict

46addict 13726548

50 launches sounds like a lot. Do they start losing grip after that?

Thanks everyone for the replies so far. Been a big help.

12. djniknala

djniknala forum member

I didn't do huge burnouts with them but they hadn't shown any signs of slowing down.