SCT 2 Can't Read Some Codes That Dealer Can??

tmcolegr

It's All About the Build
Reaction score
This morning I dropped off my 05 GT at the dealer to have a leak fixed. As always the Service Manager, a friend of mine, checked the PCM for any DTCs. He pulled up a "P1101 MAF Sensor Out Of Self Test Range". No other codes nor a CEL. Engine runs fine. My SCT 2 does not read any DTCs.

Some additional information: I'm currently running a JDM Custom Tune. My MAF is a BA2400.

What's the deal?

Hawgman

THE fucking bad guy
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
The deal is just what you stated. They have the ability to read information that your SCT XCal II does not. Hell, I have Xenon HID headlights. The dealership asked me about them without even knowing I had them. Why? Because they read the headlight not available code from the PCM.

tmcolegr

It's All About the Build
Reaction score
The deal is just what you stated. They have the ability to read information that your SCT XCal II does not. Hell, I have Xenon HID headlights. The dealership asked me about them without even knowing I had them. Why? Because they read the headlight not available code from the PCM.

Interesting.......

Is this code something the tuner can turn off in the tune to prevent a DTC or CEL?

As I mentioned previously if the dealer wouldn't have told me it was there I still wouldn't know it - no CEL or driveability issues.

Hawgman

THE fucking bad guy
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Now that I do not know. You would have to ask your tuner. I suspect that if it is a code that is not in the tuning software they will not have the ability to do anything about it. This kind of all boils back to an earlier discussion about cars not passing OBD II inspection if they have been reprogrammed. At one point Joe had said he was going to test with a friend who had the state inspection equipment the difference between a returned to stock configuration vs. a tuned configuration that had no DTCs and see if he could tell what was going on. But I don't remember him ever doing it.

tmcolegr

It's All About the Build
Reaction score
Now that I do not know. You would have to ask your tuner. I suspect that if it is a code that is not in the tuning software they will not have the ability to do anything about it. This kind of all boils back to an earlier discussion about cars not passing OBD II inspection if they have been reprogrammed. At one point Joe had said he was going to test with a friend who had the state inspection equipment the difference between a returned to stock configuration vs. a tuned configuration that had no DTCs and see if he could tell what was going on. But I don't remember him ever doing it.

Good point. I'll ask, find out and post the answer.

tmcolegr

It's All About the Build
Reaction score
Here's Justin Starkey from VMP Tuning's response:

"If its not setting a check engine light then it may just be a pending code, not too important. Without seeing a copy of the tune its hard to say why its happening, but it is most likely not a problem."

thump_rrr

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
This may be caused by the expanded range the BA-2400 has over the factory MAF.

It's most probably nothing to worry about.

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back