seat time or driveing school

pieperz06

i need to get blown
Reaction score
well i decided to make me a list of all the events that i want to go to this year and i was thinking that it is not going to cost me much less than a driving school. i dont know if this is going to be a waist of my money to not do as many events or should i do less and enroll in a school any ideas

here is what i have so far and it may go up if i decide to do more HPDE's rite now it is like 24 events

my list looked way better in notepad then it got all messed up when i copied and pasted it in to here

scca febuary 6-7 corpus christi
scca march 6-7 corpus christi
%NASA march 13-14 dallas
%PCA march 27 Reo grand valley
SCCA april 3-4 corpus christi
%pca april 10 Reo grand valley
#scca april 17-18 TBA
*scca april 24-25 corpus christi
%*nasa april 24-25 College station
scca may 1-2 corpus christi
%pca may 15 Reo grand valley
scca june 5-6 corpus christi
%*nasa june 12-13 oklohoma
#*scca june 12-13 TBA
%pca june 26 Reo grand valley
scca july 3-4 corpus christi
#scca july 17-18 college station
%nasa july 30-1 Reo grand valley
scca aug 7-8 corpus christi
scca sept 4-5 corpus christi
%pca sept 18 Reo grand valley
*scca oct 2-3 corpus christi
%*NASA oct 2-3 san antonio
%pca oct 16 Reo grand valley
scca nov 6-7 corpus christi
%pca nov 13 Reo grand valley
scca dec 4-5 corpus christi
%pca dec 4 Reo grand valley

*= dates are the same
#= autocross divisional
%= HPDE

Gray Ghost GT

Road Racing Fanatic!
Reaction score
When you say "Driving School" - are you referring to something more professional like Bondurant, Spring Mountain or Bertil Roos? Because HPDEs are also NASA driving schools provide classroom instruction and instructors in your car. The professional schools are much more expensive than a car club HPDE.

I recommend getting a year of seat time in HPDE, then take those basic road course skills to a professional school to fine-tune and learn more advance techniques. Personally, I think you'll get more "bang for your buck" that way. You can do (7) NASA HPDE 2-day events for the cost of (1) Bondurant 2-day HPDE course.

Last edited:

pieperz06

i need to get blown
Reaction score
When you say "Driving School" - are you referring to something more professional like Bondurant, Spring Mountain or Bertil Roos? Because HPDEs are also driving schools, e.g., NASA, PCA and others that provide classroom instruction and instructors in your car. The professional schools are much more expensive for a 3 day course compared to a 2 day car club HPDE. I recommend getting a year of seat time in HPDE, then take those basic road course skills to a professional school to fine-tune and learn more advance techniques. Personally, I think you'll get more "bang for your buck" that way.

yes i was refering to bondeurant or skip are the 2 i was thinking about

i was kinda thinking the bang for your buck thing cuz that is alot of driveing to fit in to my schedule but it will be well worth it

pcdrj

forum member
Reaction score
I just attended Bondurant this year. IMO a school will help you get much more out of seat time than HPDE's alone.

That's an ambitious schedule. Make sure you leave time to maintain the car between sessions.

Philostang

Chrome Hater
Reaction score
I was thinking the same as pcdrj, a driving school is going to lay the foundation for you to really gain from your time on track. I also attended Bondurant last year at the start of the season. Think of it as ramping up your learning curve.

Your current schedule doesn't exactly look scarce for time, so even if doing a school wipes out your budget for half of that, you're still in good shape with the amount of driving you'll get in.

I vote school.

Best,
-j

SoundGuyDave

This Space For Rent
Reaction score
I'll also vote for Bondurant, Barber, or something like that. Yes, you will gain valuable knowledge at a NASA (OR PCA, or BMWCCA) event, the instructors are awesome!!! ;-)

That said, the track schedule you laid out is pretty aggressive. I would skip probably 50% of the events to make room for a trip to Barber or Bondurant, particularly if you're not in a competition series. They'll teach you stuff that we don't have time for in a track-day format, and you'll bang out many HOURS in the seat per day with them.

EdwardGT

forum member
Reaction score
You know the Drivers Edge also does events across Texas. I just did one at H2R this weekend.

pieperz06

i need to get blown
Reaction score
You know the Drivers Edge also does events across Texas. I just did one at H2R this weekend.

i had never herd about them they look like they cost more than some of the other HPDE's

how were the instructors there and did you do a one or a 2 day

EdwardGT

forum member
Reaction score
i had never herd about them they look like they cost more than some of the other HPDE's

how were the instructors there and did you do a one or a 2 day

TDE is priced about same as the other HPDE outfits around like TWS Motorsport Club and NASA. There's also Harris Hill Road's new HPDE program as well as Apex at MSR. Then there's lots of one off's like S2KCA and such. However, I think you'll find that most of the instructors at the various org's in Texas are the same. Regarding 1-day vs 2-days, if you're travelling, you might as well do the 2-day. To me it's more cost-effective. I've done dozens of events- mostly with TDE.

-Edward

pieperz06

i need to get blown
Reaction score
TDE is priced about same as the other HPDE outfits around like TWS Motorsport Club and NASA. There's also Harris Hill Road's new HPDE program as well as Apex at MSR. Then there's lots of one off's like S2KCA and such. However, I think you'll find that most of the instructors at the various org's in Texas are the same. Regarding 1-day vs 2-days, if you're travelling, you might as well do the 2-day. To me it's more cost-effective. I've done dozens of events- mostly with TDE.

-Edward

yah i plan on doing a 2 day i have ony done a 1 day event at TWS so far and then one with the porche club

EdwardGT

forum member
Reaction score
BTW, have you ever done Cameron Airport with the RGV PCA? I've heard that the concrete is really hard on race rubber, though. I'm thinking about doing one of those since I go down to Corpus to visit family every so often.

pieperz06

i need to get blown
Reaction score
BTW, have you ever done Cameron Airport with the RGV PCA? I've heard that the concrete is really hard on race rubber, though. I'm thinking about doing one of those since I go down to Corpus to visit family every so often.

i did it last month it was alot of fun and it didint seem to hard on my tires

Stangmeister9

The Member
Reaction score
Cameron is real hard on R-compounds, but with anything above a 200 tread wear. you can get a near full season, about 8 to 9 events in a heavy car such as ours. its a great place to run and the layouts are always changing! :thumb2:

Back