Shooting From The Hip: Rear Spring Rate

Discussion in '2005+ Ford Mustang v6 4.0L Tech' started by Benwhite911, May 11, 2017.

1. Benwhite911

Benwhite911 V6'ing & Dealing With It

I've been monkey'ing around with the suspension on my 05 V6 now for about 2 years. I originally started because the shocks and struts were shot and needed replacing. So I looking into lowing the car, and that's where my interest took off. Now I'm going to jump ahead to my current set up and then ask my question.

Shocks Struts: Strange Engineering 10 Way Adjustable
    Front Springs: H&R Super Sport Springs
    Rear Springs: No Name Generic
    Front Swaybar: 35mm Granatelli
    Rear Swaybar: 25mm Granatelli
    Upgraded Control Arms both Front and Rear.

So here is what I'm looking to do. I bought the Steeda Rear Ride Height Adjuster Kit and I want to install a set of rear coilover springs. The rate I'm toying around with is 400 lb rate. Does this sound link an awesome or an absurd idea?

2. 46addict

46addict 13726548

400# in the rear is a lot especially with your sway bar size. I imagine you will need huge rear tires to support the extra wheel rate. I would choose the tire compound & size you're going to run and set up the car around the tires. A properly setup suspension and brakes can easily overpower most street tires so there's no point in building those components if the tires aren't up to the task.

FWIW I have a 335lb spring waiting to be installed and Vorshlag (among other track junkies) didn't recommend going higher for a street car. I am still on the 21mm (or is it 19?) stock swaybar in the rear.

Last edited: May 11, 2017
  3. Benwhite911

Thanks for your insight. I wouldn't mind getting rid of the rear swaybar. I never noticed a change when I installed it.

4. TexasBlownV8

TexasBlownV8 Formerly TexasBlownV6

Most V6's came without a rear sway. I could tell a little difference without it. Not sure how it would feel without both the front and rear sways; would it be dangerous on the street?

5. Benwhite911

But what about the 400 lb rate rear springs? What is your opinion on that?

6. pass1over

pass1over I like it LOW

i've got BC Racing coils on my car, they come with 7k front and 5k rear, which converts to 392# front and 280# rear.
    Had an 8k in the rear for awhile, which is 448#, it was SUPER stiff, I felt every single bump, crack and divot in the road. Put the 5k back in there and it's tolerable.