so....

06silverbullet

forum member
Reaction score
i recently put an sts twin turbo kit on my car, now i know before anyone jumps on my ass that a few people here hate the kit. i get the point not everyone likes it with that being said. anyways i was wondering if anyone has the kit and has track times and how much boost other mods ect. so far it hasn't proven itself worthy. so far i've only been able to do consistent 8.8's in a manual car with shorty frpp headers stock 3.55's.

so yeah anyone sts twin kit and times?

TonyN

Ford Junkie
Reaction score
I do not have any first hand experience myslef, so take this with a grain of salt. BUT, I did meet a random local guy who had the TT STS kit on his manual 05 GT and he wasn't very impressed with it either. I think he said he put down a little over 400 with 10 psi. I am unaware of his supporting mods. I just know he said he was expecting more. It sounded good but he said the car had a lot of lag.

That being said, I was running 8.1's in the 1/8th before I even put the blower on. So there may be something wrong. Has the car been tuned? What's the number? AFR? Timing?

While it may not be the most "efficient" kit, that is a pretty pitifull time considering you have twin turbos, regardless of there location.

My bet is the car doesn't really get moving until the 1/8th mile point due to bogging and lagging. I think gears would help a lot. When is boost coming on?

darkstar november

magical turning mustang
Reaction score
i have a few friends with them and did the install on one. i like the kit, and a buddy of mine who isnt a great driver turned an 11.70@121 on 10psi in an otherwise stock car on mickeys with a 1.7x 60ft his first night out with the car

95rioredcobra

forum member
Reaction score
Yeah you've definitely got something holding you back... 60'??? I've got guys making 320-330whp with bolt-ons & tunes going 8.0s/7.9s consistently to the tune of winning multiple bracket tournaments!

19COBRA93

Ford Racing
Reaction score
STS is local here so I know several guys who have had them. Key word "had". At our track (and most others) they just don't perform. We have n/a cars running the same times, and at our altitude that's pretty pathetic.

What you're experiencing is exactly what nearly everyone else experiences with them which is why they're not so popular, and why everyone bashes them. Around here they're a joke with the Mustang crowd. They wouldn't be so bad if they weren't so rediculously priced. You can get a top of the line kit of any other brand that will double the power potential for the same price or cheaper.

The problem is they run a super tight turbine housings (.35 a/r) to get them to spool up, but because of that it restricts the exhaust flow so by the time it actually spools up, you're out of RPM because the power falls off so fast. You just don't have a real usable power band.

06silverbullet

forum member
Reaction score
yeah before i was running 8.4 just boltons street tires, so this is rather dissapointing i didnt pay full price or anything close to it. if it cant perform then i'm gonna go back to my idea i had before and run an all motor setup.

my times were
60' - 2.0
330 6.xx - 5.8x
1/8th 8.8
mph 80.xx

Matt D

S197 Pilot
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Actually SD is selling a Twin turbo kit that would work pretty well lol

Marc s

NASA AIX
Reaction score
I have only see one S197 with the STS kit on it. It was a turd. The guy removed the kit and sold it. I will say that I installed one of the kits on a C5 Vette that I had. It made 636whp. However, the oil return pumps would fail and the oil would then blow past the seals and do the James Bond smoke screen thing. That got old fast as did the tow bills. I removed the kit, sold it, and bought a Procharger.

19COBRA93

Ford Racing
Reaction score
would different turbos help it at all?

No. The problem is you need a small turbo (the STS kits use two t3/t4's with tight turbine a/r's to get them to spool up. This limits your power in the higher RPM. If you switch to bigger turbos they won't spool up in time to make any power by the time you have to shift, and you don't make shit for torque.

06silverbullet

forum member
Reaction score
the car is going to go back to the installer and be retuned and few things done, if i'm not happy the kit will be sold and i'm just going to do an all motor car.

Germeezy3

forum member
Reaction score
Interesting, they make good power on some of the bigger displacement cars....I was very impressed with the kit on an LS3 C6...but I have heard nothing but bad things about them on Mustangs.

Twin Screw, surely you jest? Just get those turbos mounted farther up the exhaust stream!

fdjizm

Drag Queen
Reaction score
The STS turbo kit is the most expensive set of mufflers I have ever seen, because they are only good for sound :roflmao:

ka0tyk

Reaction score
So have you found out what casued the motor to blow yet?

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back