Speedometer Half Lit/Half Dim

black2009v6

Reaction score
I couldn't find any other threads regarding this problem so here it is. My speedometer has a dim section that doesn't seem to light up no matter what I try. It started with the right 1/4 of the speedo gauge being very dim and it was like that for a while, didn't bother me for a while because it was such a small part of the gauge that my hand covered while driving but this morning I started my car and now it seems to have spread and half the speedo is dam and the other half is lit. It is only on the speedo gauge, other gauges work perfectly, everything works perfectly and is fully functional except for this lighting issue. It seems like the dim part does have some lighting to it, but very little. I'm not too handy with electrical stuff so the most I've done is wiggle the dimmer wheel to see if the contact was loose (my dad's truck has completely dim gauges and this fixes it) and I've also tried to pulling the entire cluster out to make sure there weren't any loose wires, in both cases, nothing fixed it. I haven't checked the fuses because I'm not too sure what to look for in fuses honestly but it doesn't make sense if it were a fuse because there is no flickering and the lighting is consistent on both the bright and dim sections. Also, once I turn my headlights on, the dim sections go away and my entire speedo gauge is evenly lit up. I'm thinking it might be the cluster unit itself and I do want to eventually switch my cluster out with a MyColor one but I want to figure out what the problem is before swapping it in just in case its a wiring issue.

RocketcarX

95% of my weight is fuel
Reaction score
Mine does this too at like the 5-6-7 on the tach, goes away with head lights on. I think it's a bad LED in the cluster.

black2009v6

Reaction score
Thanks, once I finally do the MyColor swap we’ll see if that fixes anything.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Latest posts

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back