Squeaky Belt -

WideBody06

Reaction score
I have a 2006 Mustang GT with a Paxton NOVI 2200. Recently the belts started squeaking so I did the water test to see if it was a belt or a pulley. Test pointed to the belt. So I decided since I have to “basically” pull the supercharger off to change the belt why not go ahead and change the pulleys there also. The car runs fine but here about 2 weeks later what do I hear, you guessed it the squeaking came back. Not as bad this time but just enough to irritate you. Did the water test on the belt again and away the squeaking goes. Also did the WD40 test on the pulled and the squeak stayed. Used a straight edge to check for alignment issues and that was fine to. I’m lost, any suggestions?

WideBody06

Reaction score
I replaced the belt, and the pulleys behind the supercharger unit. Pulleys and Belts from Orielys.

History:
Original belt from Paxton was shredded due to a mechanical failure of the automatic tension pulley.

(additional pulley associated with the supercharger - Dayco 89018 - and OEM factory replacement pulleys from Oriely) and was replaced by a belt from Paxton/Vortech.

Now about 6 months later the Paxton/Vortech belt started squeaking. Called Paxton and they provided me a GATES (K061203) replacement part number for the belt. Stated that is should be fine. So now two weeks after replacing it and the pulleys, here come the noise again ... lol.

86GT351

forum member
Reaction score
I replaced the belt, and the pulleys behind the supercharger unit. Pulleys and Belts from Orielys.

History:
Original belt from Paxton was shredded due to a mechanical failure of the automatic tension pulley.

(additional pulley associated with the supercharger - Dayco 89018 - and OEM factory replacement pulleys from Oriely) and was replaced by a belt from Paxton/Vortech.

Now about 6 months later the Paxton/Vortech belt started squeaking. Called Paxton and they provided me a GATES (K061203) replacement part number for the belt. Stated that is should be fine. So now two weeks after replacing it and the pulleys, here come the noise again ... lol.

Should be fine and will be fine are 2 different things. I would strongly consider upgrading to an aftermarket pulley set up. Sounds like the Oreileys pulleys might not be working with the tension of the supercharger system. Also take into consideration that "Aftermarket" is not direct replacement. If there is any small change to any item it can cause havoc for you.

07 Boss

Reaction score
Factory tensioner?

Metco makes a nice set of pulleys for our cars and the look sharp. They put together a custom set for me as I needed different size from stock on some of the idlers pulleys.

Also, if you take a dab of black silicone rtv and put it on the belt (not running of course) and then start the car and let it run for a couple of minutes it will get rid of the squeak. It's just a band aid but it works (for a while).

WideBody06

Reaction score
Factory tensioner?

Metco makes a nice set of pulleys for our cars and the look sharp. They put together a custom set for me as I needed different size from stock on some of the idlers pulleys.

Also, if you take a dab of black silicone rtv and put it on the belt (not running of course) and then start the car and let it run for a couple of minutes it will get rid of the squeak. It's just a band aid but it works (for a while).

Beautiful Set Up and I definitely like them but as you can tell by my pics (See previous post) that these pulleys will probably never be seen as the Paxto/Novi set up basically hides all at the pulleys. The tensioner has also been replaced, again after market "OE".

WideBody06

Reaction score
Should be fine and will be fine are 2 different things. I would strongly consider upgrading to an aftermarket pulley set up. Sounds like the Oreileys pulleys might not be working with the tension of the supercharger system. Also take into consideration that "Aftermarket" is not direct replacement. If there is any small change to any item it can cause havoc for you.

I am inclined to agree with you.

WideBody06

Reaction score
So here's the update, originally when I called Paxton they gave me the Gates Part # K061203 which measures 120 7/8 (120.875) inches long. Their (Paxton) replacement part is 120.3 inches long a difference of .575 inches. Depending on how strong your Automatic Tensioner is, this difference could cause your belt to slip under load (due to the added length) and cause a chirping/squeaking sound. I took the belt off and exchanged it for one measuring 120 1/8 (120.125) inches long. So far the difference in size seems to have fixed the problem. i want to give credit to Paxton (after asking them about the difference in length) as they also stated that I may need to go down in size, S197 Forum, and to my local friends for the input. Also Thanks to Oriely's for exchanging the belt without any hassle.

If this solves the problem i will order a Gates Green Fleet Runner Belt (Heavy Duty - seems the local street racers here use them with little to no issues) as well as an after market heavy duty belt tensioner/pulleys. I may upsize but forsee issues when having to replace parts like the alternator and having to exchange the pulleys. I do like the Metco's posted above.

Last edited:

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back