Started out in second gear on accident

Nick93

Reaction score
hey all.. so i was driving my 06 manual GT yesterday and was approaching a car stopped at a red light that had just turned green, so without thinking i downshifted into second as i was approaching him and he began to take off, so i basically started out in second gear at maybe 3-5mph. the road was also a very very slight incline.. i heard almost a rattle from underneath the car while i was attempting to take off in second. it didn't sound like it was from the engine but maybe the trans.. could accidentally "lugging" the engine like this cause any knocking or damage to the engine / drivetrain ? i wasn't giving it much throttle.

Bingo

Because street car
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Probably clutch chatter. Should be fine, but refrain from doing that in the future. ;)

LikeabossTM

forum member
Reaction score
I've had a corroded heat shield rattle occasionally on older cars, would be especially noticable if lugging the engine. Do you drive on salted roads in Jersey?

Easy enough to check, reach under and grab them and see if they wiggle. Pro tip, do it before warming up the engine.

RED09GT

Equal Opportunity Offender
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Seriously?
Why would you think this could damage anything? I don't recommend doing it all the time but worrying about it a single time is just silly.
Didn't you just have another neurotic post about not cycling the key like a week ago or something? These cars are not that delicate, they can take a pretty good beating.

eighty6gt

forum member
Reaction score
My friend launched my car with the PD blower in 3rd wot with a passenger. I could hear to he horrible knocking and banging from the curb.

I have seen inside the engine since. It's fine.

raredesign

forum member
Reaction score
My friend launched my car with the PD blower in 3rd wot with a passenger. I could hear to he horrible knocking and banging from the curb.

I have seen inside the engine since. It's fine.

Are you still friends? LOL

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

RED09GT

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Yes it “can” hurt, considering low speed pre-ignition.

I suppose, I only made it to a minute and 45 seconds of the video but that was long enough to see that the context in that video doesn't have much in common with accidentally starting once in 2nd gear.

I have stalled more times with a manual transmission than any man should admit and yet none of these engines that I have stalled have exhibited damage that can be traced back to stalling the car once.

But you never know, this could be the one time where low speed pre-ignition occurred and perhaps it would be in the best interest of the OP to sell the car quickly or just give it away in order to avoid the heartbreak that is sure to follow down the road somewhere.

raredesign

forum member
Reaction score
I suppose, I only made it to a minute and 45 seconds of the video but that was long enough to see that the context in that video doesn't have much in common with accidentally starting once in 2nd gear.

I have stalled more times with a manual transmission than any man should admit and yet none of these engines that I have stalled have exhibited damage that can be traced back to stalling the car once.

But you never know, this could be the one time where low speed pre-ignition occurred and perhaps it would be in the best interest of the OP to sell the car quickly or just give it away in order to avoid the heartbreak that is sure to follow down the road somewhere.

Haha. I’m sure it’s fine. What the video gets at later on is that thanks to our emissions regulations and use of PCV rebreathers, the oil mist creates a buildup of ignitable particles.

That combined with excessive load and heat from lugging is potential for issues.

I had mine knock hard once just as the op described when I thoughtlessly forgot it was a manual and took off from a stop sign in 3rd, but never had an issue after that.

Now that I have pulled the heads and seen the ridiculous amount of carbon build up from only 48k miles, I think PCV rebreathers are evil. So my determination was just as is mentioned in the video...simply get a catch can.

RED09GT

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Haha. I’m sure it’s fine. What the video gets at later on is that thanks to our emissions regulations and use of PCV rebreathers, the oil mist creates a buildup of ignitable particles.

That combined with excessive load and heat from lugging is potential for issues.

I had mine knock hard once just as the op described when I thoughtlessly forgot it was a manual and took off from a stop sign in 3rd, but never had an issue after that.

Now that I have pulled the heads and seen the ridiculous amount of carbon build up from only 48k miles, I think PCV rebreathers are evil. So my determination was just as is mentioned in the video...simply get a catch can.

I capped off the manifold ports and put a breather style catch can on when I did my turbo and when I pulled my motor apart (only about 30,000 miles, maybe 10k with boost), it was by far the cleanest engine I had ever disassembled.

Nick93

Reaction score
Seriously?
Why would you think this could damage anything? I don't recommend doing it all the time but worrying about it a single time is just silly.
Didn't you just have another neurotic post about not cycling the key like a week ago or something? These cars are not that delicate, they can take a pretty good beating.
Lol I just got this car after saving up for a very long time so I guess i am just being neurotic about it. Thanks for the input.

06redgt

forum member
Reaction score
I capped off the manifold ports and put a breather style catch can on when I did my turbo and when I pulled my motor apart (only about 30,000 miles, maybe 10k with boost), it was by far the cleanest engine I had ever disassembled.

What kind of catch can did you buy? Like it?

RED09GT

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
What kind of catch can did you buy? Like it?
Stef's. You can either hook it into your PVC system or do as I did and just run a hose off it and a K&N breather on the end of it.

It is a decent size and has a petcock on it so you can drain it without having to remove it.

NUTCASE

forum member
Reaction score
First thing I thought was low speed knock. Very common on......every gas engine that gets lugged like that.

I wouldn't sweat it, just avoid lugging the motor. You actually can take off in 2nd, but you need to work the clutch more so you don't lug it.

Wes06

forum member
Reaction score
Stef's. You can either hook it into your PVC system or do as I did and just run a hose off it and a K&N breather on the end of it.

It is a decent size and has a petcock on it so you can drain it without having to remove it.
Did you vent both sides of the engine?

If not you need to, or hook it back in to the intake

RED09GT

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Did you vent both sides of the engine?

If not you need to, or hook it back in to the intake
Both sides are vented to the can, pretty much the same as using breathers but without the mess. Car has ran great like that for 5 years.

I did have a "sweat" with the oil pan gasket and that was due to me breaking off one of the oil pan bolts (didn't realize they were TTY) when pulling the pan to weld in a fitting for the oil return line. Other than that, things were clean in the engine bay.

GWSS

Reaction score
Would recommend starting in 2nd to anyone with the 3.55 or higher axle. Doesn't take much slippage with the low end torque on the 4.6. If you relearn your clutch release timing and can get it rolling at all, you'll find the electronics will hardly let it stall. No need to rev & slip, just blip the throttle lightly a get it moving, release at low RPM and drive it away. 110K miles of this and no hint of clutch wear. Spend a lot less time shifting too when you learn how to casually get around using only three gears and shift only twice, (2,3,5 or 2,4,5).

Latest posts

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back