Starter question

Laga

Reaction score
I jacked up car to start chasing down oil leak. At first, I thought it was a rear main seal leak. But then, on the passenger side only, the drivers side is completely dry, I found oil on the starter and all the way up on the back of the passenger side head. You can see the oil on the head here, in between the black hose and group of small wires. So I think I lucked out and it’s a valve cover gasket leak. 4934BA96-C601-46C8-AE25-D4A332F23128.jpeg
When I was wiping the oil off, I found this loose stud on the starter. It’s where the positive cable attaches. The cable is firmly connected with double nuts, but the stud moves in the starter. I’ve had no problems with it starting. Here’s a video, Is this stud designed to screw in and can be tightened up, or has it been broken and needs to be replaced? It’s been almost 6 years since I replaced the starter and don’t remember how it’s designed. I have a track day coming up in 2 weeks and want to get these things fixed.
[URL='https://youtu.be/LJJr7BKo_OQ']
https://youtu.be/LJJr7BKo_OQ
[/URL]

Two different shops have done work on the engine in the past year. I think one of them broke it and is covering it up.

Last edited:

DieHarder

Reaction score
I'd recommend try screwing it in. Looks like it's just loose. Then bottom the first nut; put the terminal on and another nut after that.

Midlife Crises

Reaction score
Disconnect the negative battery terminal. Remove the nut from the copper stud on the starter. Slide the cable off the stud. Tighten the remaining nut on the copper stud. Be carful, the end of the starter solenoid is plastic and easy to brake. Once snug, slip the cable back onto the stud paying attention to the index tab on the cable. Now install the second nut to retain the cable on the stud and everything should be fine. Reconnect the negative battery and your done.

Laga

Reaction score
Thanks, that’s what I was thinking of doing. Just needed a little confirmation.

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back