swflastang05's build thread

swflastang05

Back for More
Reaction score
Finally got my heads back about 7pm Saturday evening. I hit it pretty hard Saturday night and all day today, made a lot of progress but I still have maybe 2 or 3 hours of work before it's ready to crank, that's if everything goes well.. Here's a few random pics of the build and the past 24 hours of my life lol.

Starting with another nice Pro-mod at my machine shop when I picked up my heads.

tFO3T1zl.jpg

Damn
li8mBBpl.jpg

Now for mine..
Heads measured 47 cc's this time, the new intake valves made a huge difference, nearly 10cc's smaller.
JBiCffdl.jpg

3kCL4nel.jpg

Measuring the head stud length to make sure there won't be any issues with them bottoming out
2clUahkl.jpg

Last look at the pistons before the heads go on
MHR0YHJl.jpg

Fast forward to degreeing the cams, right side came in at 111 with A8 setting and the left at 111.25 with A2.
yyEEHjEl.jpg

os4O9XBl.jpg

The numbers on the head are the collapsed lifter measurements.
OcENb8Dl.jpg

AphUB26l.jpg

rear main in
kNN3Oevl.jpg

flexplate on
Kxm7JtXl.jpg

Here's how it sits now
CJhJrwsl.jpg

I forgot how much work this is! It's all the little stuff that takes forever to get done, and stupid stuff like the right side exhaust went right back on no problem however the left side was being a bitch so I had to fight it for about 30-40 minutes, stupid problems that take a long time to deal with. Hopefully there won't be any more stupid problems..

Last edited:

swflastang05

Back for More
Reaction score
Your making some good progress. You thinking you'll have it running this weekend?

Not this weekend, but probably in the next day or two, hopefully. Gotta get some fresh e85 now and pump out the 4 month old crap that's sitting in the tank. The to do list is getting smaller though.

slackinoff

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Not this weekend, but probably in the next day or two, hopefully. Gotta get some fresh e85 now and pump out the 4 month old crap that's sitting in the tank. The to do list is getting smaller though.

Impressive speed my friend! Once you got what you needed, you took right on off with it. Sad to see the old pictures got ruined, (I went back to look at something in your thread, damn them,,,,,photobucket is piles of manure) Any way, your new pictures that actually show up look great. I enjoy seeing all the "small" but critically important specs and parts.

Looking forward to the next update. Than you for taking the time out of your busy day to post these. They aint easy breasy!

Rm

Scott

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Wow Kyle, you are making excellent progress. What you have done in 24 hours may kids would say it would take me 2 weeks!

swflastang05

Back for More
Reaction score
Looking good! Mines still a SB... Too much work, not enough garage.

I hear ya, I've been working on my other cars out in the driveway in the sweltering hot sun! Now that i got my motor back all that stuff is on the back burner..

Impressive speed my friend! Once you got what you needed, you took right on off with it. Sad to see the old pictures got ruined, (I went back to look at something in your thread, damn them,,,,,photobucket is piles of manure) Any way, your new pictures that actually show up look great. I enjoy seeing all the "small" but critically important specs and parts.

Looking forward to the next update. Than you for taking the time out of your busy day to post these. They aint easy breasy!

Rm

Thanks, yea phuck photofucket! What were you wanting to see? I probably still have the pics and can re-post it.

Wow Kyle, you are making excellent progress. What you have done in 24 hours may kids would say it would take me 2 weeks!

Lol, it's not winter now Scott, what's your excuse??

swflastang05

Back for More
Reaction score
Made some more progress today, finally got the new intake installed, holy cow is it different! I had to redo lots of stuff to make it fit correctly, I'm not complaining (Jeremy LOL) I just had to change a lot of stuff i.e. re-route fuel lines, harnesses, extend vacuum hoses, etc. Those injectors are way higher than the FRPP intake, again no complaints it looks pretty gnarly and I think it's going to run even better.

ch6SE1Ql.jpg

I have to get different fasteners for the fuel rails, I didn't realize the intake is not threaded for the bolts that hold the rails down, I'll find something at the hardware store tomorrow, nut and bolt combo w/lock washer or nylox.
NUu01xxl.jpg

Blower piping all installed, it actually went in pretty smooth this time, sometimes it's a real PITA but I got lucky today.
5r0JIqXl.jpg

DEBhHGql.jpg

it's all the small stuff that takes time, I think Bryan (Weatherman) calls it "Fiddly Bits" lol
iN5dnKfl.jpg
\

Here's how it sits now. The to do list is dwindling, mostly just need to swap out the e85, install the hood, bumper and nose, install the new tune from Manuel, then add 6 quarts of oil via priming / pump sprayer and crank it! Then go make some wot hits and cruise w/data log..several heat cycles, basically start tuning all over again, while seating the new rings at the same time, fun fun! Oh did I mention it's been raining every day, at any random time, I have to wait for a good weather window too..
6c8DppZl.jpg

Last edited:

swflastang05

Back for More
Reaction score
It's alive! (Again)!! Finally!!

My car moved under her own power for the first time in 4+ months today! Sorry no video yet, I don't want to let it idle any longer than needed until after the steel rings are seated. It did start up right away on the first try, again. Of course it started raining about 5 minutes after I backed it out of the garage and took these pics. I didn't have enough tranny fluid anyway (I had the convertor re-stalled while it was easy access), nor enough oil. I had enough to back it down my driveway and back up but that's about it until I pick some up tomorrow, then I'll go load up those rings and put them through some heat cycles.

HevKAgvl.jpg

i7V93uLl.jpg

bjIbUtSl.jpg

95uJ3Iyl.jpg

DqXTLFPl.jpg

I almost forgot what the new cage & interior looks like after sitting under the cover for so long
YyrP5kTl.jpg

6kNaGjGl.jpg

slackinoff

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Nice!!!! The car looks great. Engine bay with the new intake is very good looking.
I can't wait for some passes on video. Make sure we get good audio, I want to hear that Procharger at full tilt, and a bet a hoop and holler from you.

swflastang05

Back for More
Reaction score
Thanks for the comments and compliments gents, I finally got to take it for a little ride today mostly in effort to start seating the rings and I don't even know what words to use to describe it, I mean it feels much, much, faster than it ever was before! I went on a 15 mile drive and was just doing very short wot bursts, maybe 1-3 seconds long at the most, just enough to generate a little heat on the rings then letting it cool by normal driving, and damn I was extremely (pleasantly) surprised with how hard it pulled, and the absolute craziest part of it is that Manuel has me running a very, very mild tune with the timing way retarded since we don't have a real tune for this motor yet. All of this is during 90+ degree heat and humidity too. When I got back I even double checked with Manuel that he didn't forget to take the timing out since it feels so much quicker than ever before, he confirmed that he did in fact pull lots of timing out, so all I'm thinking is if it feels this fast now what's gonna happen when we get it tuned and put the timing back into it and turn it up!!! I still have a pulley swap planned too since I'm not spinning the blower nearly as fast I it can go to maximize the efficiency. Another interesting thing I noticed is there's not as much boost, my gauge is only reading around 15 psi, before it was around 19-20. I bet the new intake, new larger valves and the massive porting work I did now let the air flow so much better there's less resistance and therefore less boost. I think this fall I might have a really good shot at a 1/4 mile time slip that starts with a 8.xx this time. Needless to say so far I'm very pleased with the new motor!

swflastang05

Back for More
Reaction score
Looking mean!
Thanks!

Badass kyle! Glad u got it going man. Going to be fast.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks Travis, I'm glad too! How's that roll bar treating you?

Good stuff Kyle, best of luck with the new motor, I bet this will be the best one of all
No question about it!

Nice!!!! The car looks great. Engine bay with the new intake is very good looking.
I can't wait for some passes on video. Make sure we get good audio, I want to hear that Procharger at full tilt, and a bet a hoop and holler from you.

Yes sir! I wanna hear it too, and make a some passes at the track this fall, I can't wait either. It really feels like it makes much, much, much more power than before, and much more than I was expecting. Very pleased so far.

Latest posts

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back