swflastang05's build thread

swflastang05

Back for More
Reaction score
Been slammed at work lately but did manage to install this last weekend:

nYAJtFol.jpg

DZSvg3zl.jpg

Also found a big chunk missing out of one of my rear tires when I had them off, definitely not good to run at 150 mph+ so I'll need to get new tires now too, luckily those were just about done anyway. Maybe I'll try those new Hoosier DR's, I think maybe they're called Drag Radial II's?

Next I need to pull my fuel pump hat and send it back to Fore to be flow tested, they anticipate the pumps are probably worn out just from being 3.5 years old and sitting submersed in e85 most of that time. In any case we'll know for sure what the issue is since they confirmed those two 465 lph pumps should support 1,000 rwhp no problem, which I don't believe I've exceeded, yet.

Also need to figure out what's goinn on with my MSD shift light, it decided to stop working now too, it never ends!

travelers

Reaction score
Nice, that should help with the twisting. and yes no missing chunks of tires allowed especially at 150.

Not sure about the E85 but, how miles have you put on in that time frame? At the end of the season we always drained the fuel from the Cuda and ran mineral spirits through the line. We just dumped a gal. in the fuel cell and run the pump and catch it at after the cool can. Not good to leave racing fuel in the car.

At least it doesn't seem to end for you.......

swflastang05

Back for More
Reaction score
Nice, that should help with the twisting. and yes no missing chunks of tires allowed especially at 150.

Not sure about the E85 but, how miles have you put on in that time frame? At the end of the season we always drained the fuel from the Cuda and ran mineral spirits through the line. We just dumped a gal. in the fuel cell and run the pump and catch it at after the cool can. Not good to leave racing fuel in the car.

At least it doesn't seem to end for you.......

Not that many miles at all, heck most of that time it sat with no motor in it LOL I would guestimate maybe 3000 miles absolute MAX.

Don't think I have seen the Steeda ARB before, looks like a solid piece Kyle.

Yes it sure does, I saw one on display at the Steeda booth at the NMRA race, looked good, I didnt realize how soon I needed one though haha. I was pleased with it when received, the only thing is it doesn't fit exactly perfectly, I had to "massage" certain things with a BFH to make it fit, but heck, with parts like that you're getting into race car territory so what do you expect right? My car is still too slow to be a race car though :)

bunits19714

forum member
Reaction score
did your fore hat come with the pump wrench- skinny 8an- normal 8an would not work on mine I had to next day one in from fore- some hats come with the wrench mine was bought in a kit form and I got %*#@ !

JeremyH

3V Fuel Guru
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
did your fore hat come with the pump wrench- skinny 8an- normal 8an would not work on mine I had to next day one in from fore- some hats come with the wrench mine was bought in a kit form and I got %*#@ !

AFAIK Fore does not include the special pump cartridge wrench with the hats, but they do sell them, not sure if thats changed recently.

swflastang05

Back for More
Reaction score

No it did not. If that's required to swap out the pumps I'll probably end up modifying one, since I decided to just swap out my existing pumps with the new high pressure versions F90000274, thanks to your great suggestion!

swflastang05

Back for More
Reaction score
My new fuel pumps arrived the other day and I installed them this weekend, these are the newer high pressure versions of the F90000267's:
udqLf3Rl.jpg

0szw0ZWl.jpg

Old Pumps in the hat
Ps59PScl.jpg

They un-thread from the hat / assembly via a very thin wrench, I ended up modifying an old crappy wrench to fit. It's easy to see how these hats can be converted from a 2 pump style to 3 pumps also, there's a third port underneath with a plug inside ready to go.
V8Dqm4Al.jpg

I've never taken one of these assemblies apart before, it's a pretty cool way they're put together. The pumps are held securely in place by two fittings with a c-clip in between and a couple o-rings
Lv21395l.jpg

z1gpC0xl.jpg

MDG2ajVl.jpg

New pump
kkeMPzNl.jpg

Then they thread back into the hat housing
9xXafPal.jpg

New pumps and filters installed in the hat, ready to go!
U2yHzdbl.jpg

Pretty neat design.
I got everything back together and cranked them up, the new pumps seem louder and more powerful than the old, which I'm sure are somewhat worn out after 3.5 years of use in e85. This should resolve the issue I was having with the pressure dropping the first half of a 1/4 mile pass.

Last edited:

travelers

Reaction score
Like Jeremy said nice way to mount them.

I have a separate section in my tool box just for those modified special wrenches.

bunits19714

forum member
Reaction score
It has been 3 weeks any updates on the cars performance- or are you held up because your tuners on vacation?

swflastang05

Back for More
Reaction score
It has been 3 weeks any updates on the cars performance- or are you held up because your tuners on vacation?

Haha, no updates but not due to Lito's vacation, I've been slammed at work putting in 12-15 hour days, which is good, my new business is finally taking off in a big way. Next steps for my car will include some new tires, and most likely an aluminum DS to shave some rotating weight since I have a wicked heavy steel DS now. Summer is also hitting here in SWFL as it's been about 93 degrees the past couple days, which pretty much all around sucks! Obviously my cars performance in that heat is significantly less than in decent weather, in light of this if I go to the track over the summer it will most likely be at night, which I kind of hate running at night since I can't see shit, guess I'm getting old lol. I'm researching aluminum DS's and hope to get one soon..

swflastang05

Back for More
Reaction score
I also noticed that my rims are still slipping inside the tires, even though I glued them on last year!

zT5pfBDl.jpg

I looked into converting my current rims to bead locks however learned that's not possible since they have too much back spacing. There's a 6" limit and mine are 7.5" so I will have to eventually buy new rims. I'll probably go with the Weld Magnums with single bead lock but damn they're proud of those things! If anyone's interested in a nice set of RT-S 71's let me know.

I also learned that the Weld Magnums will only work with 5/8" wheel studs so upgrading my 1/2" studs just became a little higher priority. I called Strange Engineering today and they said they can do the upgrade for $80 if I ship them bare axles, or add $50 to R&R the c-clip elims, this is plus the cost of the new 5/8" studs of course. I"ll probably end up doing this soon also. I ordered a set of 5/8" lug nuts, supposedly my current RT-S rims will accept those but after looking it will be a tight fit for sure, we shall find out. Also still working on an alum DS. Things are a little more slow going over the summer around here since it's too frickin hot to do anything not to mention it rains literally every single day.

travelers

Reaction score
Did you consider screwing the tires instead of adding the weight of the bead locks?
I know some people don't want to drill into the alum rims, but a lot less weight.

swflastang05

Back for More
Reaction score
Did you consider screwing the tires instead of adding the weight of the bead locks?
I know some people don't want to drill into the alum rims, but a lot less weight.

years ago I had the slicks screwed onto the rims of my fox body but I've read some articles about that being a very bad thing to do with drag radials, pics of the tires still spinning inside the rim and the screws simply tearing huge holes into the beads resulting in a very dangerous situation that may not be visible without dismounting the tires. There's a good article on this written by Mickey Thompson that was in Race Pages a year or so ago. In any case after reading the article and seeing the pics I'll never do that again.

travelers

Reaction score
I'll have to try and find that article. I just looked at some pics of the SS/AH cars with autos and some guys screwed the radials and some didn't. Everyone with an auto used radial slicks and a higher air pressure, while stick guys used the rag slicks as we did and only ran 9psi. The beads look good when we changed out the slicks and with over 1K in HP.

Spinning a tire that's screwed would be a really bad thing.

Latest posts

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back