Taking turbo apart

Hollowdweller

Reaction score
I started mounting up the oil fittings on the turbo and quickly got confused. The instructions say to put the oil feed at the top and the return at bottom, 12 & 6 o’clock. If I do that the piping to the intercooler will run into the timing cover. I believe it’s supposed to point down like in the 2nd pic but that puts the feed at 3 o’clock and the return at 9.
upload_2023-4-22_16-2-54.jpeg
upload_2023-4-22_16-3-13.jpeg

Can I simply remove the 4 bolts holding the housings together and spin them the way I need them? Never opened a turbo…no clue what’s inside
upload_2023-4-22_16-4-49.jpeg

Hollowdweller

Reaction score
Got that issue fixed, removed the 4 bolts then rotated 1/4 turn! New problem…the barb fitting for the return is hitting one of the bolts on the housing. Hoping a 90 will fix the issue.
upload_2023-4-22_17-36-54.jpeg

AHaze

Reaction score
The normal way to solve your first issue would have been to loosen the gold colored bolts around the perimeter of the compressor housing. With those loose, you can rotate the outlet to any position you like. You may be able to do the same to rotate the housing enough to get the bolt away from the drain fitting. You really don't want the restriction of a 90° fitting there.

MrBhp

Reaction score
It's a good time to check out the oring on the cold side of the turbo. Something I forgot to mention previously. I've had 2 on3 turbos that came with the red o-ring pinched between the two halves. What I've been doing on the oil drain is to clock out slightly out of the vertical, just enough to miss that bolt. As AHaze stated, a 90 there is not the best idea.

Hollowdweller

Reaction score
The normal way to solve your first issue would have been to loosen the gold colored bolts around the perimeter of the compressor housing. With those loose, you can rotate the outlet to any position you like. You may be able to do the same to rotate the housing enough to get the bolt away from the drain fitting. You really don't want the restriction of a 90° fitting there.
Yeah now that you say that I can see how it’d do the same thing. I really want to tear it apart to see the mechanics.

It's a good time to check out the oring on the cold side of the turbo. Something I forgot to mention previously. I've had 2 on3 turbos that came with the red o-ring pinched between the two halves. What I've been doing on the oil drain is to clock out slightly out of the vertical, just enough to miss that bolt. As AHaze stated, a 90 there is not the best idea.
Is there a ring around the housing AHaze is talking about or one between the 4 bolts I took out? I might just get a wrench and crack the the thing open so I can see everything!!!

This is the best solution I’ve found so far for the drain. Trying to find something cheaper, $35 after shipping, and not 100% sure it swivels. I have the ball bearing turbo with restricter plate so I’m thinking I won’t flowing a lot of oil back…right lol?
upload_2023-4-22_20-27-14.png

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back