The Dark Knight Rises

Daniel Day

Resident psychopath
Reaction score
I was going to post this in the movie buff thread but figured it deserves its own thread.
*NO spoilers below. Just wanted to let you guys know before you read it* I typed this last night but for some reason it didn't post, so here it is:

I just returned from an extraordinary night at the theater watching the entire Chris Nolan Batman Trilogy. Where to begin?

First of all....if you're just a casual fan of these movies, I suggest watching the first two before viewing the third. While the second film(TDK) could possibly be viewed as a stand alone film, TDKR is most certainly a continuation of those that came before it.

To be completely honest, i'm left with a bit of a stale taste in my mouth. TDKR is certainly not your usual summer blockbuster, but I also didn't seem to connect with it like I did the previous two. With breath taking visuals and a story that still pulled me in, I just can't completely praise it - Yet. I feel like maybe more viewings can improve on this. Throughout the film I was often thinking, "that isn't needed", "that could be cut", "why?", etc. If you're familiar with the previous films, then you pretty much know what you're getting into. Nolan doesn't disapoint, but I think he probably had a few missteps along the way(as is to be expected with most films of this nature).

As it's late and i'm pretty tired, I'll leave this mini review with a few random thoughts:

- Bane's voice is NOT as I've heard. It seems much louder than before. To the point that it seems out of place with other on-screen dialogue.
- Bale probably gives his best performance of the series. Where TDK felt more about the villains to some, this definitely feels like a Wayne/Batman story.
- Nolan has improved on his fighting tenfold. These fights are easily visible and EXTREMELY brutal. As you may have read in reviews, the fights between Bane and Batman are almost worthy of Fight Club. I actually cringed once or twice.
- Hathaway's Catwoman(never once referred to as that in the film) is amazing. I can say with confidence that the character has finally been given justice on-screen.
- Hardy's Bane is the same as above. He's just as intelligent as he is brutal. Without being able to emote with his mouth, what this man does with his eyes and manerisms is amazing. My only complaint being his megaphone voice, which is probably a product of post production.
- The supporting roles, as expected, are also great. Particularly from Michael Caine.
- RISE is of course a major theme in this film. Relating back to Thomas Wayne's "Why do we fall, Bruce?" and also in many other areas.
- As I did with The Tumbler and The Batpod, I want The Bat. As Gordon would say, "I gotta get me one of those!"
- I can safely say that Nolan is the first to create a great superhero trilogy from start to finish. Not only that, but he made them all parts of a series that nicely tie into one complete story.
- The ending almost left me in tears in more ways than one. This isn't a spoiler and it will be completely different for every viewer.

That's it for now. More thoughts as I digest it a bit more. Probably going to take my son to see it in a few days, so maybe my opinion will change....

Last edited:

Steedman07

Classified's Moderator:)
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Great breakdown..Batman Begins is still my favorite. But I will see DKR this weekend..

Shaffe

forum member
Reaction score
I will see it this weekend, dont care if I have to see it by myself lol.

Most of my friends went to see the midnight screening.

So Hardy's gave a good performance as Bane? I have heard from some reviews that he played the part fantastic and others that said it was ehh(mostly bc of Ledgers Joker)

Brezick

Yinzer
Reaction score
Probably will go see it next week, but I will also be carrying...

psfracer

billy badass
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
I was going to post this in the movie buff thread but figured it deserves its own thread.
*NO spoilers below. Just wanted to let you guys know before you read it* I typed this last night but for some reason it didn't post, so here it is:

I just returned from an extraordinary night at the theater watching the entire Chris Nolan Batman Trilogy. Where to begin?

First of all....if you're just a casual fan of these movies, I suggest watching the first two before viewing the third. While the second film(TDK) could possibly be viewed as a stand alone film, TDKR is most certainly a continuation of those that came before it.

To be completely honest, i'm left with a bit of a stale taste in my mouth. TDKR is certainly not your usual summer blockbuster, but I also didn't seem to connect with it like I did the previous two. With breath taking visuals and a story that still pulled me in, I just can't completely praise it - Yet. I feel like maybe more viewings can improve on this. Throughout the film I was often thinking, "that isn't needed", "that could be cut", "why?", etc. If you're familiar with the previous films, then you pretty much know what you're getting into. Nolan doesn't disapoint, but I think he probably had a few missteps along the way(as is to be expected with most films of this nature).

As it's late and i'm pretty tired, I'll leave this mini review with a few random thoughts:

- Bane's voice is NOT as I've heard. It seems much louder than before. To the point that it seems out of place with other on-screen dialogue.
- Bale probably gives his best performance of the series. Where TDK felt more about the villains to some, this definitely feels like a Wayne/Batman story.
- Nolan has improved on his fighting tenfold. These fights are easily visible and EXTREMELY brutal. As you may have read in reviews, the fights between Bane and Batman are almost worthy of Fight Club. I actually cringed once or twice.
- Hathaway's Catwoman(never once referred to as that in the film) is amazing. I can say with confidence that the character has finally been given justice on-screen.
- Hardy's Bane is the same as above. He's just as intelligent as he is brutal. Without being able to emote with his mouth, what this man does with his eyes and manerisms is amazing. My only complaint being his megaphone voice, which is probably a product of post production.
- The supporting roles, as expected, are also great. Particularly from Michael Caine.
- RISE is of course a major theme in this film. Relating back to Thomas Wayne's "Why do we fall, Bruce?" and also in many other areas.
- As I did with The Tumbler and The Batpod, I want The Bat. As Gordon would say, "I gotta get me one of those!"
- I can safely say that Nolan is the first to create a great superhero trilogy from start to finish. Not only that, but he made them all parts of a series that nicely tie into one complete story.
- The ending almost left me in tears in more ways than one. This isn't a spoiler and it will be completely different for every viewer.

That's it for now. More thoughts as I digest it a bit more. Probably going to take my son to see it in a few days, so maybe my opinion will change....

I will see this on Sunday. I think it will be great, but I gotta say, the Dark Knight will be hard to top or compare to. Batman Begins was also excellent.

The part I put in BOLD surprises me---I just thought Hathaway wasn't a great choice but glad to see I am wrong about that.

Sprayin Blue 3V

forum member
Reaction score
The part I put in BOLD surprises me---I just thought Hathaway wasn't a great choice but glad to see I am wrong about that.

I didn't think so originally either. But she was fantastic in this. I don't think Nolan will let anyone suck.

Bane would have been good if the bar wasn't set so high with The Joker. I was left wanting more out of his character, and in the end i got less.

Daniel Day

Resident psychopath
Reaction score
I will see it this weekend, dont care if I have to see it by myself lol.

Most of my friends went to see the midnight screening.

So Hardy's gave a good performance as Bane? I have heard from some reviews that he played the part fantastic and others that said it was ehh(mostly bc of Ledgers Joker)

Yeah, he was phenomenal. Of course, compared to Ledger's Joker, anyone is going to be criticized, but I think he was a good choice. Like I said, with over half of his face covered up with the mask, what he was able to project with his eyes and mannerisms was truly amazing.

Psfracer, yeah, like me, I think you will he surprised. I went in not expecting much, but she delivered. But I still think the best performance was given by Bale, followed closely by Caine.

Last edited:

2008PHANTOM

forum member
Reaction score
Just got out of the movie...villain wise joker for the win BUT this was by far the best of the 3 movies Caine was damn good in this movie as was Bale.

Sent from my iPhone using my fingers

Shaffe

forum member
Reaction score
Just got out of the movie, fantastic.

It has been a while since I saw the dark knight, but IMO I thought rises was better. Maybe that's because I enjoyed rises more than the dark knight. The fight scenes were awesome, and bane was the perfect villain for the final installment. Brutal, vicious, relentless and smart at the same time. I agree ledger played the joker magnificently and had the better performance, but Tom hardy s bane was also amazing, bale gave a great performance as batman as well. Hathaway was great as cat woman

mac10chap

The bouncy tits guy...
Reaction score
We saw it yesterday morning (11:40). $5 tickets and no lines FTW! Great movie by the way.

Aandf1978

M90 SUPPORTER!!
Reaction score
I watched it last night in IMAX, I gotta be honest I was left a little unfulfilled. It was a great movie, not the best in the series (TDK) and not better than Avengers. After meeting the characters and seeing what they were like, I knew what direction they were going in, I was just waiting and in the end I was right, not really a bad thing, but just something. Bain was awesome and the fight scenes were awesome and brutal, very good!! Anne Hathaway did a great job!! Very impressed!!! Good movie and the trilogy tied together very nicely, just could have gone out with a bigger bang!!

mikeysgt

forum member
Reaction score
Just finished watching it and loved it. The ending was pretty good also. I think all the actors did a very good job portraying the characters. I'd watch it again. We were supposed to drive down to Santa clarita and watch it in IMAX but ended up watching it at our local theater instead. Either way we enjoyed the movie

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back