The Great Oil Debate

irishpwr46

Official Site Vandal
Reaction score
they never released the s197 specific one did they?

Grimace427

Hellhound
Reaction score
Have they figured out the speedometer? Is there a clutch available for the input shaft splines or would you need a custom order? Does the driveshaft length change?

Napoleon85

forum member
Reaction score
Exactly. You only hear about the bad ones.

I think you're basing that on the assumption that every single person with a transmission problem filed a complaint with the NHTSA. I find that to be very unlikely. What would be a more appropriate metric is how many times Ford has performed the TSBs addressing the MT82 issues. Unfortunately, only Ford knows the answer to that and I somehow doubt they would be interested in sharing.

Additionally, I want to point out that this is a forum of Mustang enthusiasts. Most all of us have driven sports cars with manual transmissions before, so suggesting that we just don't know how to drive a manual is absolutely ludicrous.

If you haven't had any issues with your trans, that's great to hear and I'm glad for you. Just because yours is fine doesn't mean that there aren't MT82s out there with problems though. Please try to see both sides of the story, and if you cant then I suggest you just not read the threads regarding MT82 issues or fluid changes. Nobody is shoving this down your throat ya know...

ZXMustang

5.0 4V Owner
Reaction score
I think you're basing that on the assumption that every single person with a transmission problem filed a complaint with the NHTSA. I find that to be very unlikely. What would be a more appropriate metric is how many times Ford has performed the TSBs addressing the MT82 issues. Unfortunately, only Ford knows the answer to that and I somehow doubt they would be interested in sharing.

Additionally, I want to point out that this is a forum of Mustang enthusiasts. Most all of us have driven sports cars with manual transmissions before, so suggesting that we just don't know how to drive a manual is absolutely ludicrous.

If you haven't had any issues with your trans, that's great to hear and I'm glad for you. Just because yours is fine doesn't mean that there aren't MT82s out there with problems though. Please try to see both sides of the story, and if you cant then I suggest you just not read the threads regarding MT82 issues or fluid changes. Nobody is shoving this down your throat ya know...

Oh I have been hearing both sides for months now on every fricken forum known to man. And I hear ya that not all the complaints are registered, but out of 21000 cars made with them, I doubt its many more. Even if its 1000 cars that have bad transes, it still has to be broken down into the several sub issues from shifting problems to trans whinning and so on. Not to mention, half of those are going to be customer caused without question. This car is no different from any other new sports car model. It has growing pains, and many new owners new to the mustang. People are just more vocal about them these days because of all the forums available. So please, we know that people are having real issues. Just take those cars to the dealer, and if they refuse then sell it and get another. Thats what I did because of the paint issues I had with my first 5.0. I cut my losses and now have a flawless car that I love. The people trying all kinds of fluid are just masking issues that they need to bring to their dealer. The rest caused issues or there is no issue just an annoyance. So sick of this topic.

RazorbackMustang

MT82 Lover
Reaction score

I can absolutely see both sides. If you've had problems, that's a bummer and I'm not saying you didn't. But to claim the transmission is 'junk' because a few people had problems is assinine.

And if I remember correctly, the article gave actual problem numbers of the cars from Ford, not just NHTSA complaints. It was around 350 complaints. Still only abouy 1%. But the complaints were all over the board, most being centered around "notchy shifting when cold", which EVERY manual transmission does.

I guess I just don't understand all the, what I perceive to be, hate for the MT82. Is it because its different? Is it simply because it isn't a Tremec? What about when the TR3650 was first put in the Mustang and had a synchro/grinding problem? Did everyone scream foul and that it was a piece.of shit transmission?

It's the same concept with the new 5.0 engine. A few people blow theirs up because they have a hard on to mod it with 8 miles on the odometer and suddenly we have a forum full of 'bashers' saying the engine is a pile. Weren't there some problems with the 4.6 3v when it came out? I seem to recall can phaser problems and such. Is it a piece of shit too?

These blanket statements of bashing are getting old. If there was a 10% failure rate then I'd agree with them, but there isn't.

OK, I said my peace.....again. sorry to drag this off topic further. Carry on.

ZXMustang

5.0 4V Owner
Reaction score
I can absolutely see both sides. If you've had problems, that's a bummer and I'm not saying you didn't. But to claim the transmission is 'junk' because a few people had problems is assinine.

And if I remember correctly, the article gave actual problem numbers of the cars from Ford, not just NHTSA complaints. It was around 350 complaints. Still only abouy 1%. But the complaints were all over the board, most being centered around "notchy shifting when cold", which EVERY manual transmission does.

I guess I just don't understand all the, what I perceive to be, hate for the MT82. Is it because its different? Is it simply because it isn't a Tremec? What about when the TR3650 was first put in the Mustang and had a synchro/grinding problem? Did everyone scream foul and that it was a piece.of shit transmission?

It's the same concept with the new 5.0 engine. A few people blow theirs up because they have a hard on to mod it with 8 miles on the odometer and suddenly we have a forum full of 'bashers' saying the engine is a pile. Weren't there some problems with the 4.6 3v when it came out? I seem to recall can phaser problems and such. Is it a piece of shit too?

These blanket statements of bashing are getting old. If there was a 10% failure rate then I'd agree with them, but there isn't.

OK, I said my peace.....again. sorry to drag this off topic further. Carry on.
It because its made in "china". LOL Most everything you buy or use from day to day is made in china.

Napoleon85

forum member
Reaction score
I know man. probably 90% of the parts on all of our cars are made in china.

You do realize they are required to declare the country of origin for parts on the window sticker. I have NEVER seen a Mustang where it stated that 90% of the parts originated in China.

The difference is that the Tremecs have a history of quality and reliability, the MT82 has a history of problems in other makes and models of cars. Ford chose to use the Getrag MT82 over a similar Tremec model to save money, THAT is where all the hate comes from. Ford is cutting corners and charging us more for new vehicles. How is it difficult to understand how that pissed people off?

ZXMustang

5.0 4V Owner
Reaction score
You do realize they are required to declare the country of origin for parts on the window sticker. I have NEVER seen a Mustang where it stated that 90% of the parts originated in China.

The difference is that the Tremecs have a history of quality and reliability, the MT82 has a history of problems in other makes and models of cars. Ford chose to use the Getrag MT82 over a similar Tremec model to save money, THAT is where all the hate comes from. Ford is cutting corners and charging us more for new vehicles. How is it difficult to understand how that pissed people off?

What I do believe is that I have yet to see a part that doesn't say it was made in china. Pull some easy access parts off your car and check the molded in "made in" message on them. You will be very supprised. I was just replacing the cali special faux badge on the back of my car, and it was made in china. So were all the interior body panels I took off when I was hard wiring in my radar detector. And Im sure there are hundreds more in that car..... See for yourself.

Napoleon85

forum member
Reaction score
What I do believe is that I have yet to see a part that doesn't say it was made in china. Pull some easy access parts off your car and check the molded in "made in" message on them. You will be very supprised. I was just replacing the cali special faux badge on the back of my car, and it was made in china. So were all the interior body panels I took off when I was hard wiring in my radar detector. And Im sure there are hundreds more in that car..... See for yourself.

Who gives a shit where the plastic trim panels come from? I'll give you that there is very little difference in molded plastic from China vs anywhere else, but lets face it. They are quite possibly the least important part of the car. How can you even possibly compare the importance of a transmission to a trim panel??

I don't even have an issue with foreign products for the most part, but I would rather have something made in Japan, Mexico, Canada or damn near anywhere in Europe before China... especially if it's mechanical. You want some plastic shit, or electronic trinkets that will last 9 months, China is your place. Transmission, engine, etc., look elsewhere IMO.

ZXMustang

5.0 4V Owner
Reaction score
Who gives a shit where the plastic trim panels come from? I'll give you that there is very little difference in molded plastic from China vs anywhere else, but lets face it. They are quite possibly the least important part of the car. How can you even possibly compare the importance of a transmission to a trim panel??

I don't even have an issue with foreign products for the most part, but I would rather have something made in Japan, Mexico, Canada or damn near anywhere in Europe before China... especially if it's mechanical. You want some plastic shit, or electronic trinkets that will last 9 months, China is your place. Transmission, engine, etc., look elsewhere IMO.

your opinion has been noted.

:wgaf:

RazorbackMustang

MT82 Lover
Reaction score

In your opinion. I have had less than stellar performance from the Tremecs I've owned, and I've owned quite a few. The MT82 is far and away the best manual I've ever had.

So,can we just agree to disagree agreeably? You don't like it, I do. My only request is to stop the blanket bashing.

Fast351

I can't drive 55
Reaction score
For me the biggest thing is the whining in 1st to 4th. There are MANY more than 1% of the transmissions that are doing this. Go to the dealer, and get them to do any service for that. Sure, it shifts fine when warm. But that whining indicates an issue on the intermediate shaft that's probably lash related. It might run for 100K miles. It might blow up at 36001. I can live with it but don't like it. I know eventually the whining will turn into something else.

I don't mind the notchy shifting when cold. That's normal IMO for a stick. Once in a while it goes into first kind of hard. Again, normal. But unless 1-4 whine is normal, it's more than 1% of people that are having the issue. My guess is it's closer to 20-25%.

Me, I plan to run it until it goes (if it does). Then hopefully the Tremec will be ready. And if I happen to mod the car with a blower before then, I will even pick up the check without any complaint.

But to call this transmission perfect, and that the people that do have issues with it a bunch of liars or complainers is a little bit of sticking your head in the sand. There are quality control issues with this transmission. Whether they're related to being built in China I don't know. I haven't seen the plant (I've seen electronics plants, and some of the things that happen there are scary, but some of their machining is top notch, so who knows).

Napoleon85

forum member
Reaction score
your opinion has been noted.

:wgaf:

So you come in here spewing your opinion that has nothing to do with the thread and flaming everyone within sight, but then have the audacity to ask who give a fuck about my opinion. Incredible.

In your opinion. I have had less than stellar performance from the Tremecs I've owned, and I've owned quite a few. The MT82 is far and away the best manual I've ever had.

So,can we just agree to disagree agreeably? You don't like it, I do. My only request is to stop the blanket bashing.

And I'm not sure why you are this guy's cheerleader...

For me the biggest thing is the whining in 1st to 4th. There are MANY more than 1% of the transmissions that are doing this. Go to the dealer, and get them to do any service for that. Sure, it shifts fine when warm. But that whining indicates an issue on the intermediate shaft that's probably lash related. It might run for 100K miles. It might blow up at 36001. I can live with it but don't like it. I know eventually the whining will turn into something else.

I don't mind the notchy shifting when cold. That's normal IMO for a stick. Once in a while it goes into first kind of hard. Again, normal. But unless 1-4 whine is normal, it's more than 1% of people that are having the issue. My guess is it's closer to 20-25%.

Me, I plan to run it until it goes (if it does). Then hopefully the Tremec will be ready. And if I happen to mod the car with a blower before then, I will even pick up the check without any complaint.

But to call this transmission perfect, and that the people that do have issues with it a bunch of liars or complainers is a little bit of sticking your head in the sand. There are quality control issues with this transmission. Whether they're related to being built in China I don't know. I haven't seen the plant (I've seen electronics plants, and some of the things that happen there are scary, but some of their machining is top notch, so who knows).

Yeah, the notchy shifting isn't all that bad, most manuals are like that when it's cold outside. The constant grinding into 5th is pretty disturbing though, and I also have issues getting into first sometimes when it's cold outside. Thankfully I rarely drive the car in cold weather so I think the MTG will be a huge improvement from the stock fluid. It's been well discussed in other threads that AMSOIL guarantees that this fluid will not cause failure and that they will pay for the cost of repair if it is proven to do so. I'll be swapping out the factory fluid soon, but since the roads here are crap I don't know when I will get to take it out for a shake down. I'll report back on the other thread, since I see this one getting locked soon, unless the fail migrates over there as well.

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back