The Great Oil Debate

Grabber2012

Reaction score
Y'all have fun with that snow, I couldn't enjoy driving my stang in the snow I would have to drive something else.

UnleashedBeast

Engine Lubrication Guru
Reaction score
I live in Northwest Florida....we don't know what snow is here....

florida+sign+snow.jpg

Umm, what was I saying again? lol

JAJ

forum member
Reaction score
Kids! They'll steal anything! But how did they haul that highway sign all the way to Pennsylvania?

TimMcc

Reaction score
Happy to be moving from Minnesota to Charlotte NC in one week...

So can someone summarize the info here? My trans shifts fine, but if it can be made better I would welcome it!

atistang

forum member
Reaction score
Happy to be moving from Minnesota to Charlotte NC in one week...

So can someone summarize the info here? My trans shifts fine, but if it can be made better I would welcome it!
from what i gather,

-the factory fill fluid in the mt82 is alright, but might not be the best fluid for the trans

- the tsb fluid they fill it with if you take it in for notchy shifting is crap

- redline MTL seems to be got for smoothing out shifts, but some think it might be a little thin for good protection

- amsoil MTG seems to be the best all around fluid so far

- people are still trying different fluids to see which one works best

- if you live in a cold climate or drive your mustang in the winter then MTL seems to be the choice for most people, summer or hot climate MTG seems to be what people are going with

- amsoil recommends MTG for the mt82, so if you have a trans failure and it has mtg in it then amsoil should have your back if ford tries to blame the fluid for the failure

that is what i get from it anyway

techcargt

forum member
Reaction score
As there has been much talk about what type fluid our trans have in them , I guess it depends on when they came down the assembly line . I changed the fluid in mine a few weeks ago,Amsoil 75w-90 in it now and can report that the trans shifts better, and a lot less noisy ! Is it perfect , no, but then I have found few trans that are perfect all the time. Can I live with it and enjoy the car , yes.But when I changed it out , the first thing I noticed was the smell , and it took me a few days to figure out what it was that it reminded me of,the yellow 3 M adhesive ! Now what is in the both the oil and the adhesive ??? Not sure , it will take someone smarter than me to figure that out lol. But I also sent a sample off to have it checked to see what it looked like and I am glad I did !
I know that some of you think that the best thing to do is just run the oil that Ford shipped it with and it will all be good , but if you look close at the results of this and some other samples you may want that crap out of the trans .

Attachments

• img007.jpg
    img007.jpg
    548.3 KB · Views: 58

UnleashedBeast

Engine Lubrication Guru
Reaction score
Here is the Ford [FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]XT-M5-QS 75W-90 manual transmission lubricant spec sheet.

[/FONT] XT-M5-QS .pdf

and the main webpage for it.

Ford XT-M5-QS

The virgin visocity spec of 15.8 tells me this stuff shears easily. That being said, I know it's NOT a true synthetic, as Ford calls it a "Full Synthetic 75W-90 MT lubricant". Hogwash! It's refined petroleum.....and cheap at that.

I also call BS on the viscosity index spec of 211, HAHAHAHA! Yeah right, if it had that good of spec, the fluid would not grind so bad in cold weather....calling for the TSB.

Fail Ford....fail!

Last edited:

techcargt

forum member
Reaction score
I am not sure who makes this oil for Ford, but the 75w-90 that walmart sells test better than this stuff lol. What really had me worried was the tan reading , 4.2 , and what they thought it might be, " The insolubles may be abrasive compounds left from the factory , or they could be solids forming as a result of excessive heat ." This car has only been driven to car shows and to the mountains a few times and it is building up "excessive heat " ? And lets just say that , well this trans runs a little hotter than others, ok. Well then they should have put a better grade of oil in it that WILL NOT brake down so fast.
I was really expecting them to find more lead it in than they did seeing as it was made in China . LOL

VTXFrank

Obama SUCKS!
Reaction score
I'll use this thread to post my findings. No oil sampling was done, this is purely easily observable results from someone who typically drives his car like a raped ape at least once per outing. Stock shifter.

Factory oil (Prior to TSB oil change):

Pros: Heats up very fast. Could shift without grinding or getting locked out.
Cons: After 500 miles, as soon as the oil was hot, you had significant gear roll over noise, notchiness in 1-3 gears. Grinding when down shifting into 4th and 3rd. Locked out of 1st until I came to almost a complete stop. Gear whine was steadily increasing. There is always *some* level of resistance going into each gear. Feels like a "bump" you have to push the shifter over.

Ford TSB Oil:

Pros: Better initial cold weather shifting.

Cons:
Worse heat dissipation. Gets hot very fast and immediately begins to affect shifting. Significantly more heat coming up through the cupholder area. This was VERY noticeable! Increased gear whine, notchiness, grinding in every gear except 6th. Can be very difficult to downshift once fluid is hot. Random gear lockout in 3rd -1st while downshifting. Significantly more effort needed to shift past the syncros and into the gear gate once fluid is warmed up, especially when not rev matching. Gear "bump" was noticeably worse when shifting no matter the conditions. This oil absolutely sucks.

Royal Purple:

Pros: Better cold weather shifting than either of the two OEM oils. No gear lock outs. Smoother shifting when not rev matched. Less notchy.

Cons: Once hot, gear roll over noise is ridiculous. Gear whine is worse than the 1st OEM fluid. Once I had 500 miles on this oil, it was performing just slightly better over all than the 2nd OEM oil. The "bump" going into each gear was the same as the 1st OEM fluid.

Amsoil MTG:

Pros: Awesome cold weather performance for Florida. 34° morning showed near perfect shifts right out of the driveway. Once heated up, by far the best shifts even when not rev matched. Once I got about 300 miles on it, the shifting got even better! Power-shifts are smooth as butter. Aggressive shifting, up or down, has shown to have zero lockouts. Gear whine greatly reduced. Roll over noise improved. Significantly less heat coming up through the cup holder area. Skipping from 2nd to 4th or 5th is completely smooth even when not rev matched. When rev matching, the shifter seems to jump into the next gear by itself. Greatly reduced notchiness.

Cons: For the first 300 miles or so, the trans would feel like the 1st OEM oil, there was a slight "bump" (resistance) going into each gear. After the first 300 miles, that resistance became significantly better. Have had some notchiness(slight grind), but it's WAY better than with any of the other oils. as I get more miles on the oil, it will be interesting to see if this continues to improve.

I was going to give Redline MTL a shot, but got the MTG and am completely satisfied. No reason to try the MTL because if I don't like it, then I'd have to put the MTG back in and even if I used a clean catch container, I'd not feel right putting drained oil back in and would have to spend the $40 to get MTG mailed to me again.

techcargt

forum member
Reaction score
Great write up Frank.I think I am going to stay with the Amsoil MTG too, like you said , the more miles that I run it with the MTG in it, the better it shifts, and less gear whine . If it works then no reason to change it out again, although I am going to run it the same miles, 9000 , as the OEM oil and sample it to see how the trans likes it.

UnleashedBeast

Engine Lubrication Guru
Reaction score
I am not sure who makes this oil for Ford, but the 75w-90 that walmart sells test better than this stuff lol. What really had me worried was the tan reading , 4.2 , and what they thought it might be, " The insolubles may be abrasive compounds left from the factory , or they could be solids forming as a result of excessive heat ." This car has only been driven to car shows and to the mountains a few times and it is building up "excessive heat " ? And lets just say that , well this trans runs a little hotter than others, ok. Well then they should have put a better grade of oil in it that WILL NOT brake down so fast.
I was really expecting them to find more lead it in than they did seeing as it was made in China . LOL

You noticed the acidic level of the fluid was rising too, so did I. Not desirable.

Grabber2012

Reaction score
I have a '12 I only have a little over 4,000 miles on the car and the tranny shifts great and I don't have any of these gear whining issues, and heat coming up through the cup holder area cause of how hot the tranny gets, haven't heard of that one.

JEWC_Motorsports

S197 Junkie
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
I have a '12 I only have a little over 4,000 miles on the car and the tranny shifts great and I don't have any of these gear whining issues, and heat coming up through the cup holder area cause of how hot the tranny gets, haven't heard of that one.

Me neither but Amsoil is on its way. Need to change the engine oil out soon so MTG will be going into the transmission at the same time. If it helps out the ones having issues it only has to make the ones not having issues better, right?

Latest posts

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back