Think this is what killed my motor?

Marble

forum member
Reaction score
20180212_170505.jpg 20180212_170448.jpg 20180212_170505.jpg 20180212_170448.jpg
Last year while racing my car inexplicably started going slower and slower at the track. Then it died on the last pass. I pulled it out of the trailer and saw there was a low oil warning on. I shut it down and later pulled the oil filter. Full of metal. So I saved up enough cash and am in the process of pulling the motor. I pulled the blower off and I saw these rather deep and substantial gouges in the screws of my blower. I won't know what the real cause is until I pull the entire thing out, pull the pan, bearings and valve cover but anyways...I was slightly disappointed.

Whatever came through, was substantial. Odd since I've never ran without the filter.

20180212_170505.jpg

Wes06

forum member
Reaction score
are all the pictures the same lobe pair, just angle/lighting?

hows the intercooler look?
theres a chance that debris gets shot out of the chamber through the intake, and into the lobes from there.

Marble

forum member
Reaction score
So that set up is Kenne Bell stock set up so nothing came from the heat exchanger.

I had not worked on anything in the intake prior to the failure. Air filter is snug and no holes in the intake. I guess maybe something in between?

That is the same light and pictures of all of the lobes. Each lobe has damage.

Marble

forum member
Reaction score
are all the pictures the same lobe pair, just angle/lighting?

hows the intercooler look?
theres a chance that debris gets shot out of the chamber through the intake, and into the lobes from there.

Anything is possible I guess. But the engine still runs and actually sounds normal. You can hear a rod knock when it shuts off but at idle it sounds fine.

Antifreeze is clear and none in oil.

RocketcarX

95% of my weight is fuel
Reaction score
Anything is possible I guess. But the engine still runs and actually sounds normal. You can hear a rod knock when it shuts off but at idle it sounds fine.

Antifreeze is clear and none in oil.
I bet you find thread marks on the pistons

Last edited:

Marble

forum member
Reaction score
Im not sure what Seer is...

I am glad that before I decided to start pulling it apart I saved enough cash to basically buy an entire new long block if needed. I don't think I'll need an entire long block, but whatever is broken will beer fixed/replaced etc.

Seems likely that I'll need pistons...guess I can raise CR just a smidge now.

stkjock

---- Madmin ----
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Im not sure what Seer is...
Seer was a member who had a drywall screw go threw his blower and IIRC he tried to sell it and it was a shit storm.

Marble

forum member
Reaction score
Oh ok. I bought this direct from KB brand new. This next weekend I'm going to continue tear down of all the stuff that needs to get out of the way to pull the motor. I'm sure it will be a bit before it's out and a good diagnosis of the issue is known.

travelers

Reaction score
With a supercharger that sits above the IC, (Kenny Bell, Whipple VMPs) I would think a bolt wouldn't make it through the fins of the IC. In fact it should be sitting on top of the fins. Now if it's a very small piece that could find it way through the fins that yes, it would make it's way into a cylinder.

eighty6gt

forum member
Reaction score
Stuff always makes its way through the IC - so many of the blown engines I have seen on forums also have ruined superchargers.

Marble

forum member
Reaction score
Stuff always makes its way through the IC - so many of the blown engines I have seen on forums also have ruined superchargers.

I went out and thoroughly looked at the top to the IC and did not see anything obvious. I'm not sure i will ever know what went through it or if whatever went through the blower had anything to do with the failure.

I honestly think it's just a rod bearing failure. At least hoping.

The motor had 30k on it living between 500-700 hp. Probably 400 passes over 10 years. It's not like it was driven nicely.

Be patient guys on getting updates. Between work and three teenagers life is busy.

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back