Tiger Racing Hood after 1 year = :(

sheizasosay

Alive
Reaction score
Looks like a cool hood but I still dig the TR hood more.

TR hood is bad to the bone. To me, this is the top alternative. But I don't know squat about it. Don't know anybody to even ask about how they like it. All I know is Agent 47 can get them (they don't make them) and they are pricey.

I think the TR hood has an aggressive refined look and that other hood makes me think of Mad Max.

Grip

Fast Addict
Reaction score
TR hood is bad to the bone. To me, this is the top alternative. But I don't know squat about it. Don't know anybody to even ask about how they like it. All I know is Agent 47 can get them (they don't make them) and they are pricey.

I think the TR hood has an aggressive refined look and that other hood makes me think of Mad Max.

You can ask me. I have one. I love it. Everyone who ever sees it loves it, too.

Grip

Fast Addict
Reaction score
I know the tiger racing hood is popular, but this hood that is on Ross Murray's car is pretty cool. http://youtu.be/q6GuqAbfLa4

I don't know if it fairs better with structural integrity vs the TR hood, but I wouldn't mind finding out.

I'd imagine the center extraction draws hot air from the headers over the upper intake, unlike the TR hood which draws it straight out from the sides.

sheizasosay

Alive
Reaction score
You can ask me. I have one. I love it. Everyone who ever sees it loves it, too.

I picked probably the worst hood for aero, but I will give it this: my underhood temps are realiy good. I got a cowl hood and it looks good and works, but if you rode in my car at 150 you would think my hood was being excorcised of demons. Can you send me some pics of that hood you got with some good shots of it closed and opened when you get some spare time? I would appreciate it.

When you switched to that hood(from stock?) could you tell any difference?

Grip

Fast Addict
Reaction score
I picked probably the worst hood for aero, but I will give it this: my underhood temps are realiy good. I got a cowl hood and it looks good and works, but if you rode in my car at 150 you would think my hood was being excorcised of demons. Can you send me some pics of that hood you got with some good shots of it closed and opened when you get some spare time? I would appreciate it.

That's because a cowl induction hood is pretty much useless to a fuel injected car. A hood like that draws air in at the turbulent break near the base of the windshield as it reverses, and piles it under the hood. This is bad for like...tons of reasons, for our applications. Since you're not sealing and ducting that air pressure, it just adds to the already massive amount of underhood pressure suffered by S197s and A) increases front-end lift at speed, and B) tries to rip the hood off.

Heat extractors like the TR lower the underhood pressure by siphoning it upwards, using airflow passing over the top of the louvers. This low pressure area now created under the hood draws cool air from beneath the car, thereby reducing front end lift, and the tendency for the hood to go insane.

Gimme a minute on the pics.

Grip

Fast Addict
Reaction score
Can you send me some pics of that hood you got with some good shots of it closed and opened when you get some spare time? I would appreciate it.

I did, actually. Less front end movement at high speed, being the major one. I'd like to say it runs cooler, but I never had a temp issue in the first place...which also makes me wonder about people who claim this about any hood.

I've attached a couple shots. On the shot of the hood open, the lining you see is weather stripping I've added for aero purposes at the suggestion of one of Ford Racing's aerodynamicists, as an experiement...that so far, has virtually eliminated hood flutter. I've since added a strip at the back, as well.

If you want any angles in particular, let me know.

Attachments

• IMG_20130527_200831_561.jpg
    IMG_20130527_200831_561.jpg
    100.8 KB · Views: 83
  • IMG_20130527_183932_520.jpg
    IMG_20130527_183932_520.jpg
    128.5 KB · Views: 149
  • IMG_20130527_200811_648.jpg
    IMG_20130527_200811_648.jpg
    124.1 KB · Views: 93

sheizasosay

Alive
Reaction score
We're off. Few post above when I said "I don't know squat about it...." I was referring to the hood in that video. THAT hood is my "top alternative" to the TR hood. I should written my post different. Sorry.

Osiris

forum member
Reaction score
I have crazy heat problems. whipple 2.9 at 16psi on my pig. The car runs cooler with the hood. It takes longer to heat soak too. I have no weather stripping and the hood does flex / bounce a bit at 160 but I also run 4 aero catch pins at the hood bumper points. I think I might try the weather strip idea. What exactly did you use Grip?

Grip

Fast Addict
Reaction score
I have crazy heat problems. whipple 2.9 at 16psi on my pig. The car runs cooler with the hood. It takes longer to heat soak too. I have no weather stripping and the hood does flex / bounce a bit at 160 but I also run 4 aero catch pins at the hood bumper points. I think I might try the weather strip idea. What exactly did you use Grip?

Hmm... can't say I remember the brand, but any adhesive weather stripping should do. Judge by eye, but 1/2 inch or thicker will do the trick. If there isn't already one there, another strip at the leading edge of the decklid keeps air from trapping itself in the trunk.

It's not the only aero treatment to be done, either. More on that when I can get the time to do it.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

Darkside323

forum member
Reaction score
Went this weekend to pick up my hood from the body shop that had it. I have not had it fixed yet because I need to save up cash to do it. As I carried it out I noticed I can see light pass through the areas where cracks had formed. In these areas I found little to no resin. Maybe air bubbles had developed in these sections?

mrgtx

forum member
Reaction score
Heyah, guys.
I guess I'm into reviving old threads on the S197 Forum this week. Sorry about that...still seems less obtrusive than starting a redundant one, especially since this thread is full of great info.

So my stock 2011 hood is starting to show he usual S197 hood rot...I'm looking into this as an alternative to a (temporary) repaint...only to have bubbles show up again.

Do any of you guys daily drive with the fiberglass TR hood? What about keeping cars in the out-of-doors? Are there any weather-related concerns here?

My Mustang is in the garage for the vast majority of the time...but I'm curious if this is a necessity with the open vents.

Thanks for any insight!!
-Mike

ArizonaGT

Road Course Member
Reaction score
FWIW my Fiberglass version has had absolutely no issues after about 3 years on the car.

I did drive around with it bare (unpainted) on the car for about 2 weeks before it got painted, when the car was still on the street.

No issues with weather etc. on the durability of the hood. I do have the factory airbox on the car still (not open element).

mrgtx

forum member
Reaction score
FWIW my Fiberglass version has had absolutely no issues after about 3 years on the car.

I did drive around with it bare (unpainted) on the car for about 2 weeks before it got painted, when the car was still on the street.

No issues with weather etc. on the durability of the hood. I do have the factory airbox on the car still (not open element).

This is promising...
I can see how an open-air filter could present a problem. So far, I'm running the stock box as well, especially since the cost:benefit of a CAI on these cars is apparently unfavorable.

I'm getting closer, guys. The big variable for cost is how much work this will need before it's "presentable."

ArizonaGT

Road Course Member
Reaction score
The body shop guys were worried about that too, before seeing it.
I guess they really didn't have to do much to prep it for paint, which seems to be the general experience of everyone with the FG version of the hood.

Typically when people say "fiberglass hood" it conjures up images of some giant cowl POS from a JC Whitney catalog, but the TR hoods are pretty-high-quality pieces.

tigerhonaker

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
I have been reading everything I could find on the Tiger Racing C/F Hood as well as the Fiberglass Model.

(I am interested after I read there have been revisions made to it for additional strength)

There is another Thread on this site that mentions the Tiger Racing Hood and that's why I started researching them.

This thread has tons of useful posting on it !!!

If any of you that have either model of the Tiger Racing Hood are still active on this site I would appreciate your input on the following question.

Have any of you driven with it in the Rain or a Storm and what happened with the Giant Lovers that look to me like they would allow tons of water to come into the engine compartment ???

Maybe this is a common-sense sort of thing but I prefer to hear from any of you that actually have the hood.

From the picture below is why I said above it looks to be simply a common-sense sort of thing.

attachment.php

Thanks,
Terry

Well I have done further searching on here and found this old Thread where the member had his Tiger Fiberglass Racing Hood for sell.

Guess this answers my inquiry on the Water incoming issue to the engine !!!

post_old.gif
02-22-2014, 05:30 PM #1 JohnnyGMachine
JohnnyGMachine

reputation_pos.gif

icon1.gif
2005-2009 Mustang Tiger Racing Extractor Hood-New Condition-Unpainted-$700
I have for sale a 2005-2009 Mustang Tiger Racing fiberglass extractor hood for sale for $700 firm. $200 less than retail and no wait to get it made!
I never had it painted, sanded, nothing. I had it on the car once to check fitment then took it off. It's been sitting in the garage for a few months. Bought it from Rehagen Racing for $1085 ($895+190 shipping). The hood is perfect and is ready for you to have prepped and painted for your car. I am putting my 2006 GT up for sale this spring and am not going through the hassle of having it painted and put on the car. My loss your gain.
I do not have the shipping box to ship it. I prefer to sell it local or for pick up if possible. I may possibly be willing to meet halfway somewhere if it's not too ridiculously far.
I am located in Easton, PA 18045. I accept PayPal or money order. Any questions let me know.
Pics of it on the car... http://www.fquick.com/garages/viewga...d=34463&page=2

[URL="http://redirect.viglink.com/?format=go&jsonp=vglnk_148434061100611&key=4074bb980170af620a1b30300389973e&libId=ixwa2kxy0101aqy4000DAbp3kqe4j&loc=http%3A%2F%2Fs197forum.com%2Fforum%2Fshowthread.php%3Ft%3D111229%26highlight%3DTiger%2BRacing%2BHood&v=1&out=http%3A%2F%2Fi250.photobucket.com%2Falbums%2Fgg277%2FJohnnyGMachine%2FTR_Hood1_zps373de86c.jpg&ref=http%3A%2F%2Fs197forum.com%2Fforum%2Fsearch.php%3Fsearchid%3D8166070%26pp%3D25%26page%3D2&title=2005-2009%20Mustang%20Tiger%20Racing%20Extractor%20Hood-New%20Condition-Unpainted-%24700%20-%20S197%20Mustang%20Forum%20-%20S197Forum.com&txt="][/URL]

<A href="http://s250.photobucket.com/user/JohnnyGMachine/media/TR_Hood2_zps7fe7e011.jpg.html" target=_blank vglnk_1484340604540="46">

Last edited:

TheKurgan

forum member
Reaction score
I've had the fiberglass version for about 6 months and have driven it in the rain with no issues. If it is parked outside in the rain, it will get into the engine bay. This is an easy fix by just throwing a tarp over the engine. I'll tell you this, I don't think there is a better looking hood and it is super light.

tigerhonaker

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
I've had the fiberglass version for about 6 months and have driven it in the rain with no issues. If it is parked outside in the rain, it will get into the engine bay. This is an easy fix by just throwing a tarp over the engine. I'll tell you this, I don't think there is a better looking hood and it is super light.

Thank-You for your response Sir.
icon14.gif

Terry

Latest posts

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back