Timing/cam question

Cmarris

Reaction score
Installing hot rods on my 05 gt, just got the drivers camshaft in. Doing the half-turn at a time method to get the cam back in. Was a pain doing all the caps slowely with that much pressure. Could only get the first three caps on and tighten them a little at a time till 4 And 5 could go on then go in order slowely. Does that seen right? I had the crank at the 12, cylinder 5 was coming up on the exhaust valve. Is there a position that doesn't put as much pressure on it that I can do on the passenger side? My second question is timing g chain slack. I used a wedge tool for the install. I noticed on the straight side of the timing chain (the side without the tensioner) has some slack. I can rotate the cam counter clockwise and I can see the tensioner come out and the slack is gone. However the spring keep wanting to rotate the cam clockwise and put a little slack on the other side. Will this be fine on startup? I figure it's happening cause there's no oil pressure to push the tensioner out right? All my timing marks are right on the phaser, just can't see the crank

RocketcarX

95% of my weight is fuel
Reaction score
As long as you jam a timing wedge in place and do one cam at a time and take care to mark the chain to the phaser you can't fuck it up. Double check the cam followers are in place, torque the cam caps in sequence and you're done. Don't rotate the engine in reverse any more than needed, it can cause the timing to jump from what I understand.

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back