Tips for 4.6 eng/ Auto Tranny re-install

Shakn68

Reaction score
I'm ready to reinstall my rebuilt 4.6 3V and auto trans. Currently the tranny is out and the heads are not on the block.
What's the easiest way to reinstall with shorty headers? I've seen 4 methods:
1. the complete Eng/Tranny assembly being installed together with the shorty headers.
2.The tranny installed, then the engine, with headers
3. Trany/ Eng short block, then the heads w/headers attached
4. Install the headers after the eng/tranny are installed.
I'm working from the driveway, with only a floor jack and engine hoist. Looking for tips as to which method is best, if any?

msvela448

forum member
Reaction score
I have done it a few times and I have always done the complete engine (with heads and headers), and transmission as one unit. You'll probably have to have the hood removed, but I've done it with the hood on as well. It's a tight squeeze near the steering shaft.

Installing it as one unit will save you a TON of headache trying to install the transmission and get it to line up while lying on your back in the driveway.

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk

Shakn68

Reaction score
msvela448, thanks for the feedback. Should I remove the steering linkage?

JC SSP

Reaction score
Wow I have never R&R an engine and tranny combo at the same time with the hood on!

You got pics or video of that install?

msvela448

forum member
Reaction score
I don't have a video of that install with the hood on... Because I was wrestling an engine into place... [emoji23]. But I did do it with heads on and Kooks Long tube headers installed. I had a TR6060 transmission attached as well. I did not remove the steering linkage when I did it. I will say that I do have a tubular K-member so that might have helped.

With the engine on the hoist, I came at the car from the driver side (legs of the hoist by the wheel well.)

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk

whitmanink

Reaction score
i just put a used motor in mine after my old one decided to eat a valve,,, i only pulled engine,, i kept heads off untill installed in car,, all you need is an engine leveler and a helper and its easy ,, i had my shorty headers on already as well,, i had the rad out and hood off,, never had to mess with the steering shaft or anything,, enjoy the process

Curtis B

Reaction score
I reinstalled mine as a complete unit, hood off, disconnecting the steering linkage was a ust for me, no way the long.tube headers would go past it. An engine leveler and help and it worked out fine.

FB_IMG_1668385680265.jpg

Derby

Reaction score
I installed the complete assembly with pypes long tube headers, no hood, removed the radiator assembly slid right in . I didn't touch the steering. The intake should be removed and I did use a leveler.
Get a helper, it makes it easier and you have someone to drink beer with when you're done!

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back