tire wear

datmbn

forum member
Reaction score
The question is which tire pressure do you have to make the tires wear evenly?

I bought new tires this spring which has now rolled about 10000 km (235x50x18 originals)
The rear tire is barely worn at all, while the front tire has about 2/3 left and is noticeably more worn on both
inner and outer edges. The tires are evenly worn so I do not think there are any problems with the wheel alignment.
I know it says that you should have 2.3 bars so I had it from the beginning, but as soon as I noticed it was uneven
I increased it to 2.5 rear and 2.7 front, but it does not seem to make any difference.

regards Mats

Last edited:

skwerl

tree hugger
Reaction score
alignment. Needs slightly more toe in. This will also make the car more stable and less twitchy at speed.

stkjock

---- Madmin ----
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
As Skwerl suggested - wear on the edges typically indicates alignment issues

datmbn

forum member
Reaction score
If you look at the wheels how they are angled, then I wonder if it may not be that I have the right aligment, but with most city drive (low speed sharp turns)
I scrub the inside of the outer tire and the outside of the inner tire and vice versa

I start to think if it's not the way it will be (many..... small roundabouts in town now + a 180 degree right turn into the parking lot at work)
The winter tire that is narrower 115x60x17 does not have the same tendency

Our other car a Citroen C6 also has the same tendency to wear more on the edges.

Last edited:

datmbn

forum member
Reaction score
I just find this

"Tire Experts" in Sweden recomend, from the vehicle's specified factory data:
Summer tires in normal profile an increase of approx. 10%.
Summer tire in low profile an increase of approx. 15% (high speeds about 20%)
Winter tires Nordic spike Free, an increase of approx. 20%.

86GT351

forum member
Reaction score
If you can visually see an Alignment angle that is off, you have an alignment issue. Have the car put on a machine and at least check the readings. Alignment is a huge contributor to tire wear. Also edge wear on both edges can be caused by too low of a tire pressure. raise all the tires 1 pound and see what happens. Higher air pressure theoretically reduces the contact point of the tires slightly.

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back