Tomorrow,I try replacing support braces.

don-ohio

Reaction score
Worried that the bolts will break off,they're so rusty. As said before, Snakbitn sent me braces in GREAT condition.
Wish me success! At least I have the 2-post lift so I can work efficiently and safely on these.
TODAY, I took it to Ford and got the driver's side airbag replaced(recalled). don-ohio :)^)

themoose06

forum member
Reaction score
Most seized up PITA bolts/nuts I ever dealt with were front sway bar end links. Those made me want to set my car on fire. Terrible memory. Hope yours goes better! I'm not familiar, what are the support braces?

don-ohio

Reaction score
They are only on convertibles for extra chassis stiffening of the rear frame(unibody).
I ran out of time Sat and Sunday and had to put it off til Friday.
Thanks for the well-wishes. don-ohio :)^)

don-ohio

Reaction score
Well. got em on there, all coated with rustoleum and undercoating. They were in GREAT shape and I want them to stay that way.
All the bolts came out just fine since I'd treated them with liquid wrench 3 times in the past coupla months.
Went ahead and sprayed the rustoleum and undercoating on all the surface rust under the car while I was at it.
Got er done! don-ohio :)^)

don-ohio

Reaction score
Thanks, Moose! It wasn't as bad as I thought, since I had soaked those bolts. I would've hated to tried it without the 2-post lift though.
Laying on your back, looking into the falling rust would've been a mess. Blech!
don-ohio :)^)

don-ohio

Reaction score
Well,driving to work I have to cross RR tracks a coupla times. I noticed the car seems more stable with less shakiness as it crosses them now.
So maybe we SHOULD have them on there like Ford wanted? don-ohio :)^)

redfirepearlgt

forum member
Reaction score
Sub frame connectors are a nice added benefit to install as well for chassis stiffening on a convertible in addition to the replaced supports you put in. I was looking into a vert last fall and did some suspension research and found that to be one of the first modifications to helping the car. In the end I stayed with the coupe. Got any photos?

TheSuit

VISIONARY
Reaction score
Sub frame connectors are a nice added benefit to install as well for chassis stiffening on a convertible in addition to the replaced supports you put in. I was looking into a vert last fall and did some suspension research and found that to be one of the first modifications to helping the car. In the end I stayed with the coupe. Got any photos?

Learned this quickly with mine as well. Added to the list for sure.

don-ohio

Reaction score
Thanks,guys! yes,I'm still considering an extra stiffening with aftermarket braces. No,I don't have pics,sorry. don-ohio :)^)

Benwhite911

V6'ing & Dealing With It
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Who makes after market rear support braces for the S197 convertible? I have been looking for over 3 years for them, and I haven't found any one who makes them.

Latest posts

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back