TR3650 difficulty getting into 1st 2nd 4th and reverse

Brandon08GT

forum member
Reaction score
I just brought my car to the transmission shop this morning because I kept getting locked out of first and reverse while I was stopped. Turned out the rear main seal was leaking and my slave cylinder was shot. Not sure if that helps you at all, just thought I’d share since I’m literally dealing with it as we speak.

07gts197

forum member
Reaction score
Maybe someone else can answer this if Im wrong but I think the 05-10 and 11-14 use different size slave cylinders but ford back spec’d all the 05-10s to the newer one thus the need to shim them.

Brandon thats a very valid point, did you notice any external oil leaks around the block to trans seperator plate? Or clutch inspection hole?

Brandon08GT

forum member
Reaction score
I didn’t notice anything out of the norm. I was under the car on Sunday inspecting everything I knew to check. Fluid level was good, no signs of leaking anywhere, no kinks or rips in any line. I had to take it to a shop because I simply don’t have the time right now to take it apart. As soon as they did, you can see the seal leaking. After looking even further, that’s when they noticed the slave and pilot needed replacing. I’m not 100% sure if OEM or not. I should’ve asked, but I was also dealing with my lawyer at the same time so I didn’t care, I just need it fixed for work tomorrow afternoon.

I have every intention on going to a better trans setup and I really didn’t want to put any money into this one, but life has different plans sometimes.

702GT

S197 Fanatic
Reaction score
Had the '13 GT500 MC in my '08 for about 20-30k/mi before it sold. Was the best move I made for my Exedy Mach 400. I had severe issues with a Centerforce DF clutch w/oem slave when I dumped the CF DF for a Mach 400, put another new OE slave in with it. Was much improved over the Centerforce but was still catching gears on 1-2 2-3 and stiff getting into 1st/Reverse. Took a chance on the 13 GT500 MC when it first got brought up years ago in tech, also went ahead and did a SS hydralic line upgrade. I like the fitting setup better and hey, why not. Doing the swap was semi-pita because I hate working under the dash, but it's quick. The difference was night and day. Higher engagement point on the clutch (which I prefer anyway) and never caught another gear after that. Fluid from 1st to Reverse from a standstill. I did not swap my slave for that, since I only had 5k/mi on it. No shims either.

07gts197

forum member
Reaction score
I have a ss clutch line and 13-14 gt500 clutch mc too but all it did was move the engagement point and make the clutch a little stiffer.

eighty6gt

forum member
Reaction score
You mentioned a GT500 slave earlier, is that what you are using? Is it true that the 2011+ GT500 slaves are shorter and we need the 2007-10 slave?

I'm using palanza 7's shitty exedy GT-spec slave.

GT500 master.

eighty6gt

forum member
Reaction score
Someone's off brand cast off junk, also all slaves are shitty and fail, same as roller followers and phasers

702GT

S197 Fanatic
Reaction score
Well, That is a brilliant statement to make. So what in your exalted opinion, do you think we should use?

I don't think his opinion is "exalted" towards anything, just the sad truth. He listed the common crap items that Ford decided wasn't worth the effort in better design.

Use an OEM slave, pray it wasn't built on a Monday or Friday when you install it, and keep your receipts. OE roller followers and phasers are just fine for practical 3v power. When you want to run a real cam, then they start to suck. There's really no aftermarket for these parts, either. Even the salves are pretty much rebrands from the original 2 manufacturers (doorman and another outfit I can't recall).

eighty6gt

forum member
Reaction score
I wouldn't even bother with an oem slave. 3x the cost. Just toss some salt over your shoulder. Shim properly.

Heaten m90

forum member
Reaction score
You can NOT run an in-line solenoid to gate on and off hydrolic pressure with a line lock and properly sized steel lines. Because

Heaten m90

forum member
Reaction score
yikes, Heaton is glitching out.

Lol although that’s most certainly possible on the inter-web I’m not. I’ve ran a few different setups, some even being hydraulically assisted due to the pressure plate/clamping force design characteristics. I took rather good notes, PM me if you need help

eighty6gt

forum member
Reaction score
That's frankenmotor race stuff. Parts replaced every 13 miles... Not a 3V pooting around on the street and blowing up with 1/4 the power and 2/3 the rpm.

RocketcarX

95% of my weight is fuel
Reaction score
The short answer is there is not sure fire solution once you go to an aftermarket clutch. The Exedy 500 set up I ran with stainless line, new OEM master cylinder and FTE (OEM) slave never worked as they should.
The more I beat on the car the worse it would get. I finally go tired of slow shifting and the sloppy remote shifter and went to a 4r70w. If I was going to stay with a manual trans I would have looked into the 6060 swap.

07gts197

forum member
Reaction score
Getting back on topic, op where is the catch point on your clutch? I recently noticed I can shift just by pushing the clutch in about a quarter of the way to the floor. Shouldnt it be the opposite if the slave is old and worn? Im a little lost lol.

RocketcarX

95% of my weight is fuel
Reaction score
Getting back on topic, op where is the catch point on your clutch? I recently noticed I can shift just by pushing the clutch in about a quarter of the way to the floor. Shouldnt it be the opposite if the slave is old and worn? Im a little lost lol.
What clutch are you running?

Latest posts

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back